Bobby Wagner

kearly

Reaction score
They wouldn't do anything that would remove options and add difficulty to the Wilson talks.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
bmorepunk":34sypnqa said:
Yes, this is brilliant, but let's interlace the days.

MWThF - Russell Wilson Contract Days
TuSaSu - Bobby Wagner Days

Can I fix this for you????

MT....bobby daze

WTF RW daze...

SS nobody daze because they have a chance to be off for the weekends now. Okey dokey.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
All I can say is they are going to lose some good players in order to sign Wilson. I just hope Wagner isn't one of them . Cut who you have to because they need both.

irocdave

Reaction score
Never understood why KJ was signed before Wagner. KJ is an average NFL LB and Wagner has become a stud over the last two years. RW will get his deal and KJ, Wag and Irvin may be the sacrifices. Still say, yea, RW is more important as long as PC/JS draft well at the positions.

RW's contract talks seem to be raising a lot of real time questions that should have come up last year. I still say that if RW is the guy they need to do what needs to be done to sign him. There is no doubt that it will cost the team several defensive starters. The real question is RW worth it???Same as last offseason when everyone was ready to crown RW as the best QB in the NFL and that he would take much less to keep Lynch and the D in tact. How is that lack of NFL working for your predictions?? RW is looking for the largest NFL contract ever. He will get it. That contract will hamstring the Hawks for several years. I think us Hawk fans are in for a string of 9 & 7 years for the foreseeable future.

I like RW, but Lynch stirs the drink, and the top ranked D is what keeps it close until RW makes 3- 4 plays.

9 & 7 is what I see after RW gets paid and Lynch moves on as well as a solid D.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Wagner is like the QB for this defense. ET and Sherm get all the spotlights, but we all saw how badly the defense struggled when Wagner was out and what a huge boost his return was. He's the most important player on the Legion of Boom IMO.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
irocdave":31coekx3 said:
Never understood why KJ was signed before Wagner. KJ is an average NFL LB and Wagner has become a stud over the last two years.
Exactly. That KJ signing never made sense to me.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
dopeboy206":35g2rqnj said:
irocdave":35g2rqnj said:
Never understood why KJ was signed before Wagner. KJ is an average NFL LB and Wagner has become a stud over the last two years.
The KJ signing made and still makes perfect sense. Besides, he was set to be a FA so of course he would get an extension before Bobby...

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
irocdave":2jggih54 said:
Never understood why KJ was signed before Wagner. KJ is an average NFL LB and Wagner has become a stud over the last two years. RW will get his deal and KJ, Wag and Irvin may be the sacrifices. Still say, yea, RW is more important as long as PC/JS draft well at the positions.

RW's contract talks seem to be raising a lot of real time questions that should have come up last year. I still say that if RW is the guy they need to do what needs to be done to sign him. There is no doubt that it will cost the team several defensive starters. The real question is RW worth it???Same as last offseason when everyone was ready to crown RW as the best QB in the NFL and that he would take much less to keep Lynch and the D in tact. How is that lack of NFL working for your predictions?? RW is looking for the largest NFL contract ever. He will get it. That contract will hamstring the Hawks for several years. I think us Hawk fans are in for a string of 9 & 7 years for the foreseeable future.

I like RW, but Lynch stirs the drink, and the top ranked D is what keeps it close until RW makes 3- 4 plays.

That's not true. Wrong on multiple fronts.

9 and 7 is what this team is without a real QB, you have it backwards

Smellyman

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1u4mhady said:
All I can say is they are going to lose some good players in order to sign Wilson. I just hope Wagner isn't one of them . Cut who you have to because they need both.

They can easily sign both. Who are they going to lose signing Wilson? Everybody "good" is locked up.

Other forums say the above, but don't know the reality. more wishful thinking

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":29fkdi8d said:
irocdave":29fkdi8d said:

That's not true. Wrong on multiple fronts.

9 and 7 is what this team is without a real QB, you have it backwards
Yep, 9 & 7 was a Seahawks Offense with Lynch at RB, and Tarvaris Jackson as the starting QB.
Way too many want to disconnect the Yardage that Wilson has been putting up since being named the Top Gun.
Also, having a top notched Defense alone, doesn't always ensure you a Championship Season.
Some around here must be thinking that we don't need much more than a mediocre QB to get into the playoffs SMH.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2mdg5npc said:
dopeboy206":2mdg5npc said:
irocdave":2mdg5npc said:
The KJ signing made and still makes perfect sense. Besides, he was set to be a FA so of course he would get an extension before Bobby...
To make him the top 2 highest paid at his position does not make sense. Dude is an average LB. Seriously.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
dopeboy206":23abbhxa said:
To make him the top 2 highest paid at his position does not make sense. Dude is an average LB. Seriously.
The KJ signing has no effect on Bobby's new deal or Russell's new deal. The Hawk will lose Irvin after next season, do you really want to try and replace 2 starting LBs while you're in the best championship window you've ever been in? It's about continuity, especially on defense. Schndeider has said publically, numerous times, that they want to keep as many players as they can for as long as they can. Obviously he and Carroll disagree with you on KJ's skillset and they feel he is a unique OLB with great length. Besides KJs deal really isn't 4 years, it's highly doubtful he will see that 8.2 million in 2018, which really skews his numbers. For now, KJ Wright is part of the Hawks core and they needed to keep him.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":36dmks28 said:
dopeboy206":36dmks28 said:
The KJ signing has no effect on Bobby's new deal or Russell's new deal. The Hawk will lose Irvin after next season, do you really want to try and replace 2 starting LBs while you're in the best championship window you've ever been in? It's about continuity, especially on defense. Schndeider has said publically, numerous times, that they want to keep as many players as they can for as long as they can. Obviously he and Carroll disagree with you on KJ's skillset and they feel he is a unique OLB with great length. Besides KJs deal really isn't 4 years, it's highly doubtful he will see that 8.2 million in 2018, which really skews his numbers. For now, KJ Wright is part of the Hawks core and they needed to keep him.

Remember when people started blasting the FO for extending Kam and didn't understand why.....not saying he's going to play at an elite level this year but sometimes that money can be the biggest motivator.

Jville

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1w4roypz said:
Hawkfan77":1w4roypz said:
dopeboy206":1w4roypz said:
irocdave":1w4roypz said:

Not everyone understands KJ's game or value. Although, it's all on video for review. And at only 25 years of age, there is more to come.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":13jdqxtw said:
Besides KJs deal really isn't 4 years, it's highly doubtful he will see that 8.2 million in 2018, which really skews his numbers. For now, KJ Wright is part of the Hawks core and they needed to keep him.
Minor correction... $7.2M is KJ's salary in 2018.

$8.2M is his cap hit.

jewhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":306h12h8 said:
onanygivensunday":306h12h8 said:
$8.2M is his cap hit.
Which is the only number that matters
No it isn't. The non-guaranteed base salaries later in contracts matter because that is how much the team can potentially save by cutting the player. KJ's deal is for all intents and purposes a 1 year, $8.75M contract with team options for $5.25M in 2016, $5.8M in 2017, and $7.2M in 2018.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jewhawk":27qpqvet said:
Hawkfan77":27qpqvet said:
onanygivensunday":27qpqvet said:
$8.2M is his cap hit.
No it isn't. The non-guaranteed base salaries later in contracts matter because that is how much the team can potentially save by cutting the player. KJ's deal is for all intents and purposes a 1 year, $8.75M contract with team options for $5.25M in 2016, $5.8M in 2017, and $7.2M in 2018.
The cap hit is all that matters when there's a salary cap. The dead money is 1 million in 2018, the cap savings is 7.2 million. So yeah, that 8.2 million in 2018 is all that matters when deciding whether or not to keep a player...cap hits matter

jewhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3lii1noy said:
jewhawk":3lii1noy said:
Hawkfan77":3lii1noy said:
onanygivensunday":3lii1noy said:
$8.2M is his cap hit.
The cap hit is all that matters when there's a salary cap. The dead money is 1 million in 2018, the cap savings is 7.2 million. So yeah, that 8.2 million in 2018 is all that matters when deciding whether or not to keep a player...cap hits matter
The Seahawks are paying KJ $8.75M this year in the form of a $5M signing bonus and $3.75 base. That money is going to go against the Seahawks salary cap whether KJ plays out the whole contract or not. It's only a question of when, depending on whether or not he plays out the whole contract. Consider this:

KJ's actual contract had a $5M signing bonus with the following base salaries:
2015: $3.75M
2016: $5.25M
2017: $5.8M
2018: $7.2M

meaning the cap hits including the pro-rated portion of the signing bonus are:
2014: $1M
2015: $4.75M
2016: $6.25M
2017: $6.8M
2018: $7.2M

Now, consider what would the situation be if KJ had instead signed a different contract which is, like his, 4 years and $27M, but instead had a $15M signing bonus and base salaries of:
2015: $750k
2016: $2.25M
2017: $3.8M
2018: $5.2M

Under that contract, the cap hits would be:
2014: $3M
2015: $3.75M
2016: $5.25M
2017: $6.8M
2018: $8.2M

Under that deal, KJ's cap hits would be the same in 2017 and 2018 as they are in his actual deal, but the decision whether or not to retain him would be much different. The team would only stand to save $5.2M instead of the $7.2M in his actual contract if they cut him before the final year of the deal.

Looking at only the yearly cap hits of a contract doesn't fully describe the ramifications of keeping or cutting a player. You have to look at how much the player is paid each year and how much is guaranteed in future years. In KJ's case, nothing is guaranteed beyond 2015 so you only need to consider his non-guaranteed base salaries to know how much the team could potentially save each year.