Boldin in the slot

Hawks46

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":koblnvho said:
13thMan":koblnvho said:
Not sure I agree with this... That is to say, I don't want to blitz all game long because Kaepernick is a known blitz killer... I would rather play coverage with our personnel (stout secondary) and hope we can generate at least adequate pressure with the front four..... I'm afraid that if we sell out to generate pressure then we could get exposed on screens, dump offs to the flat, etc., etc.....

We need an answer for VD though.... Kam?

I appreciate your perspective, but I just don't see a Clemons-less team running Avril out there at pre-season rust levels generating much pressure against the 49er OL without sending five or six sometimes. I am not saying we need to blitz all game long, but we cannot let Kaepernick hold the ball consistently for five seconds a play and pick us apart downfield.

Bennett and McDaniel matched up against the excellent SF interior OL is the big one. If they win that battle and induce some interior pressure, maybe we can do what you hope and at least hurry Kaepernick consistently, maybe hit him a few times too and get a sack or two without having to do as much scheming as it would otherwise take. I think that's the matchup that will determine if SF scores only ten or if they score twenty-eight or thirty points.

Smelly has it here. If we generate pressure up the middle, it will screw with Kap. If we get too aggressive, get out of our lanes, and let our DE's get too far upfield, then Kap will just pull the ball down and run. You play Kap kinda like Russell Wilson. Keep him in the pocket, but don't give him too much time.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
rideaducati":2on2w7qh said:
mretrade":2on2w7qh said:
The 49ers are planning on unleashing Quinton Patton this weekend against the Seahawks. You heard it here first.

Great! I hope he's the first read or we won't get to see him make any catches.

That is gettin pretty old man. Anybody that still believes this about Kap obviously doesn't know what they are talking about.

OP
OP
hawk45

hawk45

Reaction score
I guess I think that counting on our walking wounded defensive line to generate pressure is a bit optimistic. Especially because our strategy may be much like Green Bay's, albeit with superior personnel; we may be sacrificing some pass rush on the alter of keeping Kap contained. Whether it's man press with WTIII matched up on Boldin in the slot, or whether it's zone coverage with Boldin and VD finding the creases, I don't get a warm fuzzy that we're set to lock both those guys down.

Can't overreact about one game, however, so I'm open to the possibility that Boldin can't do to our secondary what he did to Green Bay, regardless of whether we have the perfect matchup on him or not. But oddly I felt better last year when it was Crabtree we had to worry about. Crabtree lines up outside more often and I have zero concerns about our corners.

Guess I feel like it's such a waste we'll have our lockdown guys matching up on garbage (when it's man coverage) and Boldin and VD will be going against lesser mortals. Here's hoping Kam can knock VD silly again and Boldin begins feeling his age. And that WTIII can shut Boldin down. I think WTIII can do it, it's just more of a concern than it would be with the Sherm or BB certainty.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Frankly, it hardly matters.

It isn't a statement game because both teams will be so radically different.

This is a game to make the fans of the winner feel good about their team but it decides nothing and it really means nothing save for the +1 in the win column or the 1 in the loss column. It is even too early in the season to really put any pressure on either team.

If one game separates Seattle from homefield like last year, maybe. But, last year, there were several games we let slip that we should have had that would have solved that problem (Miami, Detroit?). So what? Think we cannot recover or SF cannot?

My issue is that since either team is going to be so different in the second half of the season, the game does not really even represent the strength abilities of either team. SF will be a hugely different challenge with Crabtree, and hopefully with 1/2 our DL back and Harvin - we will too. So I am not sure that it even is an indication of the future either way.

The game in SF is probably huge, this one makes me less nervous than the Carolina game did. Not because we have an easier game, but because a loss isn't as hard to come back from than that would have been.

olyryder

Reaction score
I'd be very suprised if WTIII is covering Boldin much. It seems like a size/strenght mismatch, and he'd get thrown aside and Kaep/Boldin would take the 5-7 yard passes all night long. WTIII can move outside, and Browner can move inside as Boldin isn't a slippery Welker type slot reciever. He doesn't get good seperation and doesn't have great speed. Browner can press him and basically wrestle him at the line of scrimmage. You need a big body on him, and you need to tie him up at the LOS as much as possible. Normally I don't think you move Browner/Sherman inside much, but I think in this case they can.

CANHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":86m06vll said:
Frankly, it hardly matters.

It isn't a statement game because both teams will be so radically different.

This is a game to make the fans of the winner feel good about their team but it decides nothing and it really means nothing save for the +1 in the win column or the 1 in the loss column. It is even too early in the season to really put any pressure on either team.

If one game separates Seattle from homefield like last year, maybe. But, last year, there were several games we let slip that we should have had that would have solved that problem (Miami, Detroit?). So what? Think we cannot recover or SF cannot?

My issue is that since either team is going to be so different in the second half of the season, the game does not really even represent the strength abilities of either team. SF will be a hugely different challenge with Crabtree, and hopefully with 1/2 our DL back and Harvin - we will too. So I am not sure that it even is an indication of the future either way.

The game in SF is probably huge, this one makes me less nervous than the Carolina game did. Not because we have an easier game, but because a loss isn't as hard to come back from than that would have been.

what the bloody derp are you talking about? this is a division game. it fricken matters....

oh, and 14 400 inches

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Remember when Browner was out last season and Sherman followed Brandon Marshall all over the field and continuously got torched?

Just play the normal D and put our guys where they're comfortable. Don't let them dictate to us what we do. Sherman on the left. Browner on the right. Thurmond in the slot. And let them do their jobs on whoever lines up across from them.

Tical21

Reaction score
Not too worried. How many years has it been since Boldin has had two monster games in a row? He'll win some in the slot. Davis always scares me, and for some reason the only other guy I'm really afraid of this week is James.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Tical21":13ivtbvw said:
Not too worried. How many years has it been since Boldin has had two monster games in a row? He'll win some in the slot. Davis always scares me, and for some reason the only other guy I'm really afraid of this week is James.

If you're referring to LaMichael, he's injured.

OP
OP
hawk45

hawk45

Reaction score
Caught Mike Holmgren being interviewed by Softy and he echoed that you want to force them to beat with you with someone other than Boldin, that you'll want to design coverages that make life miserable for him. Although he didn't go into detail about what those coverages might be, it's clear he takes it more seriously than some of the responses on this thread. I've seen a lot of "don't worry about Boldin he's not that good" or "we're better than the Packers", in other words, pretty non-specific fluff talk as to why it's not a concern. If this game was on the road I don't think we'd be as sanguine about it. Even if Boldin isn't good enough to kill 2 teams in a row, it's worthwhile to try and neutralize what appears to be their best weapon at the moment other than VD and make someone else beat you.

I am sure Pete will have a strategy in mind, and maybe that will look like just having dudes line up wherever they normally would. But I can guarantee Pete isn't just treating Boldin like he's the same as the rest of the Niner dreck receiving corps.

Oh and Browner didn't practice Thursday, fantastic. Now there's potentially WTIII on the outside and Maxwell or Lane on Boldin, yippee.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
mretrade":l42eahny said:
Yeah because I am sure Wilson is going to have his first ever 400 yard game Sunday? *sarcasm*

Pretty sure the Packers didn’t think Kaepernick was going to put up his first ever 300 and 400yd game against them either….

Dick Johnson

Reaction score
I think the niners gameplan will be to force Seattle to stop a heavy combination of hunter and gore. The Seahawks have let teams run all over them since preseason. This is san Francisco's strength, and I'm interested to see what the teams do to attack/counter this.

Latest posts