Boykin

Rob12

Reaction score
He should absolutely not be our No. 2. I'm a supporter of his but he's a long ways away. I think he could be on the PS and not get snatched.

This team needs a competent back up QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mort

Reaction score
How is he possibly not our #2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Whatever your take on the Boykin issue, there is something deliciously ironic about Darrell Bevell basically calling him out for his head-scratchingly inconsistent, boom or bust performance in the pre-season.

Jville

Reaction score
What Carroll and Bevell seek to develop at quarter back are conductors of a great offensive orchestra. They are beginning to realize such leadership in Russell Wilson.

What they have in young Trevon Boykin is a one man band with a lot of growth and development work to do before successfully conducting the Seahawk offense. Boykin would require a huge investment in time and patience.

[youtube]uXMuWi0dUBc[/youtube]

I think a lot of us do recognize and enjoy the entertainment he brings. :D

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
That growth and development should take place on the practice squad. You all know who I'm advocating be our backup.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3oljuku4 said:
That growth and development should take place on the practice squad. You all know who I'm advocating be our backup.

Charlie Whitehurst? he does know the system....

nwHawk

Reaction score
Seneca Wallace 2.0 probably gets cut. QB must help enhance the players around him, and I'm not so sure Boykins is ready for that yet.

Largent80

Reaction score
I also thought BJ Daniels would be a perfect backup. That crap O-Line Boykin had to play behind on Thursday didn't help his game much and in fact caused him to make bad throws several times.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":3fkcxnhl said:
I think bringing BJ back wouldn't be a bad idea. No more TJ...
Remember, TJ is the one who beat BJ out the last time for the job. Always Compete.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
So they went into the off-season with an undrafted free agent and a street QB who didn't pass the cut to 75 last year.

And somehow we're sitting here a week before the season wondering WTF is going on with our backup QB situation. Shocked no one saw this coming.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
OK, a warning to all. This BOYKIN thread will not turn into another Pro T-Jack/Anti-T-Jack thread.
If it does it's going to turn into unpaid vacations. This is a thread in the SEAHAWKS section, if you want to talk about T-jack and his talents/non talents please start a thread in the NFL section and discuss away. This will be my final warning on this .

Let's get back to the Boykin discussion folks.

Thank you.

sutz

Reaction score
They've had all off season to find that "vet backup." Pete & John are not the type to panic at the last minute just because a plan may not have panned out 100%. Minnie just overpaid to sign Sam Flaming Bradford. I don't want to do something similary here for our backup QB.

If something superior shows up on the waiver wire at these last cuts, maybe they will jump. Nobody should be surprised that Boykin showed some rookie tendencies.

I'm still not sold on needing a change to anything that seems to be available right now.

Jville

Reaction score
sutz":3aazi6lx said:
They've had all off season to find that "vet backup." Pete & John are not the type to panic at the last minute just because a plan may not have panned out 100%. Minnie just overpaid to sign Sam Flaming Bradford. I don't want to do something similary here for our backup QB.

If something superior shows up on the waiver wire at these last cuts, maybe they will jump. Nobody should be surprised that Boykin showed some rookie tendencies.

I'm still not sold on needing a change to anything that seems to be available right now.

Like so many other newbies to the NFL ....... Boykin needs time and patience ........ 2Fe32Fa02F562Fe3a056114e9c45c14a48a357b678a80c

OP
OP
Seafan

Seafan

Reaction score
sutz":3f1l26gk said:

I agree. TJ and BJ will be out there all season if needed.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IMO----There are a lot of fans with "EXPECTATIONS of PERFECTION" when it comes to QB play. Boykin is an UDFA QB with an excellent college career behind him and was even in the conversation for the Heisman award mid-season last year. His major negatives were his "height" & that he came from a wide open spread offense where he seldom was under center. Boykin obviously has the talent, he just needs some coaching up which he can get in practices during the season. The likelyhood of an RW injury would seem to be a very, very small gamble to bet the farm on some castoff QB instead of developing a unique QB in the RW mold like Boykin.

I don't understand how all the current negativity about Boykin's play is viable based primarily on the 4-th pre-season game when he was playing with 3-rd/4-th string SCRUBS in what is always a sloppy game. There are 10 other guys on offense. If a RB/WR doesn't line up properly, doesn't complete their blocking/running/receiving assignments AND if OL guys don't complete their assignments or even in many cases, don't know what the hell they are doing, how is that all on the QB???? From my game observations, Boykin had too many fires to put out during that last game as it's hard to overcome 3, 4, 5 or more players not doing their jobs on most plays, thats NOT all on the QB. Wilson himself would have had significant problems in that very same situation.

Again, IMO----Boykin has shown enough to be a viable backup QB and will be just fine in the future as he receives more training & experience working with his 52 (not 90) other teammates. Any outside QB brought in will most likely end up like Whithurst, a place holder at best, cut before he hits the field at worst. Of course, this is also just my opinion. I recall a few years back, a lot of people were very negative about RW's chances of even being a Seahawk 'cause he was just too short for the job. Boy, were they wrong. To me, Boykin is a very good investment for the future of the Seahawks QB position and thats something that a scrub, vetran QB brought in as a place holder can't provide.

I also like Pope, McEvoy, Palacio & Powell to make the "53", Lambert, Fant & Bryant I think make it to the PS.
Also, IMO----Hill's days as a seahawk are very numbered, too bad, I likeed him if he could only stay healthy.

Donn2390

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":121znkai said:
IMO----There are a lot of fans with "EXPECTATIONS of PERFECTION" when it comes to QB play. Boykin is an UDFA QB with an excellent college career behind him and was even in the conversation for the Heisman award mid-season last year. His major negatives were his "height" & that he came from a wide open spread offense where he seldom was under center. Boykin obviously has the talent, he just needs some coaching up which he can get in practices during the season. The likelyhood of an RW injury would seem to be a very, very small gamble to bet the farm on some castoff QB instead of developing a unique QB in the RW mold like Boykin.

I don't understand how all the current negativity about Boykin's play is viable based primarily on the 4-th pre-season game when he was playing with 3-rd/4-th string SCRUBS in what is always a sloppy game. There are 10 other guys on offense. If a RB/WR doesn't line up properly, doesn't complete their blocking/running/receiving assignments AND if OL guys don't complete their assignments or even in many cases, don't know what the hell they are doing, how is that all on the QB???? From my game observations, Boykin had too many fires to put out during that last game as it's hard to overcome 3, 4, 5 or more players not doing their jobs on most plays, thats NOT all on the QB. Wilson himself would have had significant problems in that very same situation.

Again, IMO----Boykin has shown enough to be a viable backup QB and will be just fine in the future as he receives more training & experience working with his 52 (not 90) other teammates. Any outside QB brought in will most likely end up like Whithurst, a place holder at best, cut before he hits the field at worst. Of course, this is also just my opinion. I recall a few years back, a lot of people were very negative about RW's chances of even being a Seahawk 'cause he was just too short for the job. Boy, were they wrong. To me, Boykin is a very good investment for the future of the Seahawks QB position and thats something that a scrub, vetran QB brought in as a place holder can't provide.

I also like Pope, McEvoy, Palacio & Powell to make the "53", Lambert, Fant & Bryant I think make it to the PS.
Also, IMO----Hill's days as a seahawk are very numbered, too bad, I likeed him if he could only stay healthy.
I agree completely, Boykin isn't going anywhere...

Skookum

Reaction score
Dude's got a long way to go, but I don't see them cutting him at this point.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2zvydk36 said:

Like -Don2390- I agree 100% with your take on Trevon Boykin.
To me, it is ridiculous to expect Boykin to have the same success as a Seasoned Russell Wilson.
Wilson beat out Flynn & Jackson for the #1 Quarterback job, his style of play fleetness of foot caught the rest of the NFL teams off guard, giving him a little more time to tune up (especially with the #1 O-Line Receivers, TE's and Marshawn Lynch) and make the necessary adjustments.
Russell Wilson has shown the League how to prepare for a green Trevon Boykin
Boykin needs time to tie both the Physical and MENTAL aspect of the game together...Hell, RW is still learning how to tie it all together, read Defenses, and work with inconsistent O-Line, and plays that Bevell lays on him.