Boykin

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Boykin will not go into the year as the No. 2. Too risky.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Here's why I like him as our backup. Worst case scenario, he has to start one game.

First Wilson is durable. Not only has he not been injured, he essentially never even goes down awkwardly. He is the Houdini of avoiding the awkward hit. The likelihood of injury is vanishingly small. Until he is injured, we can continue to develop Boykin.

Second, if he does get injured, and Boykin isn't ready for the primetime backup role, there will be any number of vet QBs available on the couch that we can bring in at a moment's notice. Maybe they need a week or two in the system and/or to get in shape. No problem. We start one game with Boykin before turning the offense over to whatever vet we can pick up.

If we weren't up against the cap, I would feel differently. That's why I advocated for keeping TJ last year when Wilson's cap hit was $11.48 million lower. The reality is, we need every dollar of cap space we can scrounge up. Let's not waste it on a player who almost certainly won't be necessary.

I'm not arguing that it would be wrong to bring in a vet at this point, just that I wouldn't personally do it if I were the GM. There are valid arguments for both options.

sutz

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3kocwkxl said:
Confidence is that feeling you have before you understand the situation. ;)

You may be right, but I don't see any evidence for it coming from the team. :229031_shrug:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
sutz":qc8khj7s said:
Siouxhawk":qc8khj7s said:
Confidence is that feeling you have before you understand the situation. ;)

You may be right, but I don't see any evidence for it coming from the team. :229031_shrug:
It's easily understandable. Our braintrust isn't going to put their reputations on the line that a UDFA rookie solve the problem if Russ has to sit for a short spell. It's just not going to happen. No other teams will at this juncture either, making Trevone perfectly safe on our practice squad.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I would say that in the unlikely event that RW has a significant injury, Boykin thus pressed into duty, would likely have a simplified playbook, have all #1's on the O-line and all #1's in the skill positions......I think he'd do very well. Any other vet/scrub backup QB brought in would have the same provisions but would not be nearly as familiar with the playbook/terminology & his teammates as Boykin.

IMO----A mobile QB in the RW style MUST be developed ASAP. That type of QB doesn't grow on trees and Boykin fits the bill to a T - he must therefor be given the chance. Any other patchwork, wait 'till next year (again) solution is not acceptable. The Dynasty must go on & I think it will. Again, all of above is just my opinion.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":skwlmxs0 said:
I would say that in the unlikely event that RW has a significant injury, Boykin thus pressed into duty, would likely have a simplified playbook, have all #1's on the O-line and all #1's in the skill positions......I think he'd do very well. Any other vet/scrub backup QB brought in would have the same provisions but would not be nearly as familiar with the playbook/terminology & his teammates as Boykin.

IMO----A mobile QB in the RW style MUST be developed ASAP. That type of QB doesn't grow on trees and Boykin fits the bill to a T - he must therefor be given the chance. Any other patchwork, wait 'till next year (again) solution is not acceptable. The Dynasty must go on & I think it will. Again, all of above is just my opinion.
Nailed it! :2thumbs: