BRADY/PATS PUNISHMENT OVER TURNED BY JUDGE. (Updated 9/3/15)

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I'l have to sit down and read the report when I have more time, but "More probable than not" isn't exactly indisputable. It'll be very interesting to see if the league backs off because it's too vague, or if Roger hands down some punishment to anyone other than the equipment guys.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":1wxa8z49 said:
I'l have to sit down and read the report when I have more time, but "More probable than not" isn't exactly indisputable. It'll be very interesting to see if the league backs off because it's too vague, or if Roger hands down some punishment to anyone other than the equipment guys.
I read it.
More probably than not was 99 percent guilty after I read the report. Tom comes off looking quite the ass, the Wells team wanted to look at his phone records, only the ones pertaining to the case would be looked at, and he refused to cooperate. It doesn't matter, after reading the texts of his two cohorts, it is really hard to excuse Tom of any misconduct.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":2uoihivs said:

"More probable than not" is the same standard as most civil cases in our legal system. It's less than say, "beyond a reasonable doubt" as in criminal cases.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Consider if the Seahawks had done this, what we would expect the NFL to do.

Remember how they singled us out for practicing too hard? How they singled out Lynch?

What would you expect the Seahawks penalty to be and that is what the Patriots penalty should be.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":17hic1bj said:
Consider if the Seahawks had done this, what we would expect the NFL to do.

Remember how they singled us out for practicing too hard? How they singled out Lynch?

What would you expect the Seahawks penalty to be and that is what the Patriots penalty should be.

We should reasonably expect the same punishment as if the Hawks committed the same infraction. The punishment for the two Hawks examples you cite are pretty spelled out though.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
11011092_10206778114801664_2718109649923116464_n.jpg

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about the whole deflategate thing? I was at a restaurant earlier today and they had the story on espn and everyone was cheering and slamming the pats. IMO, the whining reminds me a lot of 49er fans crying about the Seahawks. People love to hate the best. Deflate gate had no effect on the SB or their win over the colts in the AFC Championship game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i could just care less about deflate gate.

ringless

Reaction score
They are only saying probable because the investigation was in reference to the AFC Championship game. The text messages are from October 2014. SO they are different incidents. However it is clear that deflating the balls was done in exchange for money and shoes early in the season.

In addition the report mentions that while the Colts Balls deflated, the patriots Balls deflated almost twice the amount in the same conditions which they are unable to explain without it being done by a human which it states that.

It also states in all the testing they did, they were unable to get the balls to deflate as much as the Patriots balls and could not recreate the same outcome....

Its pretty clear that the report was based on one game. The most damming part of it is the text messages which were only circumstantial since it was in reference to other games....

I think what makes it worse is that the stats shown over the years make it look like it has been going on for a period of time. The fact that Brady lobbied for the rule change and is the same one caught exploring the very change he made possible compounds the situation.

I know Patriots fans right now are saying that its all circumstantial. That the report says nothing. That the Patriots are innocent. Which is a joke. Much similar to the one where Aaron Hernandez is innocent as well because the evidence in that case was circumstantial but it didn't take much to see the truth.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":23hjyo4k said:
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about the whole deflategate thing? I was at a restaurant earlier today and they had the story on espn and everyone was cheering and slamming the pats. IMO, the whining reminds me a lot of 49er fans crying about the Seahawks. People love to hate the best. Deflate gate had no effect on the SB or their win over the colts in the AFC Championship game.

I don't find the ball deflation to be an issue in the super bowl, but when a player deliberately circumvents the rules in such a way, they need to be suspended. Look at the Lynch cleats example. Using gold cleats would have gotten him suspended and that isn't going to have any effect on how Lynch plays. Every qb will tell you that the level of inflation of a football does effect the grasping, throwing and catching of the football. If that doesn't get a suspension, yet the color of cleats does, what exactly would that say about the NFL?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Brady = Mark Mcgwuire imo...No HOF, no legacy other than being known for cheating scandals. Will the NFL stand up to Bellicheat, Brady and Kraft and send a message yet again to this cheating organization that breaking of the rules will not be tolerated? Or will this only be reserved for teams and players who don't have the right skin tone or "popular" franchise??

pmedic920

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":19uc3hw1 said:

You are not wrong for feeling the way you do, that's your prerogative.

But to not think that deflated footballs could have effect games, seems kinda crazy to me.
IIRC the pats were close to leading the the league in not fumbling.
No doubt in my mind that a softer ball is easier to hold onto.
How long had this been going on?
We have no idea how many games could have been effected. Sure we also don't know how many were effected but we do know that at a very minimum, Tom Brady believed he was gaining an advantage. He wouldn't have been doing it AND lied about it otherwise.
Deflated balls may not have played a part in SB49 but they very well may have been a factor in what teams played in SB 49.

Tupps

Reaction score
pmedic920":8wfrpi63 said:
Hawk-Lock":8wfrpi63 said:

You are not wrong for feeling the way you do, that's your prerogative.

But to not think that deflated footballs could have effect games, seems kinda crazy to me.
IIRC the pats were close to leading the the league in not fumbling.
No doubt in my mind that a softer ball is easier to hold onto.
How long had this been going on?
We have no idea how many games could have been effected. Sure we also don't know how many were effected but we do know that at a very minimum, Tom Brady believed he was gaining an advantage. He wouldn't have been doing it AND lied about it otherwise.
Deflated balls may not have played a part in SB49 but they very well may have been a factor in what teams played in SB 49.

Probably harder to catch too. Less dropped passes=shorter scoring drives=less fatigue/injuries. That's what I'd be most concerned with, as one of the hardest things to overcome in the NFL is fatigue and injuries. If you lessen that impact, you increase the likelihood of succeeding in the playoffs.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Wow, this article from USA Today Sports is pretty brutal...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tom ... ar-BBjiSvO

Tom Brady cheated his way to a Super Bowl
In layman’s terms: The Patriots (probably) cheated.

Compare that to Kraft’s quote from before the Super Bowl. “It bothers me greatly that [Brady and Belichick’s] reputations and integrity and, by association, that of our team, has been called into question.”

But that’s where Kraft’s defense went off the rails. The Patriots have no integrity to question, Robert. Once a cheater, always a cheater.

DJrmb

Reaction score
John Clayton on with Danny, Dave, and Moore show today said he expects around a 4-8 game suspension for Tom Brady.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":1n3o32jz said:
It is my understanding that the report used that terminology because that is the terminology used by the NFL to warrant some type of punishment. In other words, the report meets the threshold needed for the NFL to do something about it. Now lets hope that Goodell grows some nuts and does what is right. I believe that Brady should be suspended for a year for starters. He refused to cooperate with the investigation by refusing to give up his texts. He needs to be severely punished IMHO. I also believe that this should be an automatic DQ from HOF consideration. He is a proven cheater. Proven cheaters should NOT be in the HOF. It would taint the HOF if proven cheaters were allowed in.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":14pltmhp said:
They are only saying probable because the investigation was in reference to the AFC Championship game. The text messages are from October 2014. SO they are different incidents. However it is clear that deflating the balls was done in exchange for money and shoes early in the season.

In addition the report mentions that while the Colts Balls deflated, the patriots Balls deflated almost twice the amount in the same conditions which they are unable to explain without it being done by a human which it states that.

It also states in all the testing they did, they were unable to get the balls to deflate as much as the Patriots balls and could not recreate the same outcome....

Its pretty clear that the report was based on one game. The most damming part of it is the text messages which were only circumstantial since it was in reference to other games....

I think what makes it worse is that the stats shown over the years make it look like it has been going on for a period of time. The fact that Brady lobbied for the rule change and is the same one caught exploring the very change he made possible compounds the situation.

I know Patriots fans right now are saying that its all circumstantial. That the report says nothing. That the Patriots are innocent. Which is a joke. Much similar to the one where Aaron Hernandez is innocent as well because the evidence in that case was circumstantial but it didn't take much to see the truth.

No, the report uses the word "probable" because that is the standard of proof the NFL requires, i.e. preponderance of the evidence or more likely than not (>50%).