Brandon Browner arrested following a police chase

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hearing he was charged with Attempted Murder with Bail set at $10 million.

Edit to add a link: [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000939916/article/brandon-browner-charged-with-attempted-murder[/urltargetblank]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":2zau8uo4 said:
Hearing he was charged with Attempted Murder with Bail set at $10 million.
Damnnnnnnn! This isn’t going to end well for him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":39ai75p0 said:
There is a fair amount of evidence that CTE does the following:

Damages the part of the brain related to impulse control

Damages the part of the brain related to decisioning

Causes mood swings

Causes violent behavior

CTE might not be an 'excuse', it could easily be a 'cause'. Not everyone getting CTE would end up being violent or dangerous, but a certain % would. And people with proclivities could more easily be pushed over the edge. To absolve CTE is just ignorance at this point.
Could be CTE but it is a fact he has been arrested for having Crack
and being high on it...
So could it be the Crack instead of CTE?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2awihfw5 said:
and being high on it...

Could you provide a link detailing that it was Crack when he was arrested? The only thing I can find is that it was Cocaine, which is still bad, but not Crack.

And yes, it could be drugs that did it as well, but I'm at least willing to entertain multiple causes for the behavior, unlike others who outright dismiss the possibility of CTE. I guess we'll know for sure if they ever do a brain analysis upon death, since that's the current method of determination.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kind of feels like the rolling in carpet is an after murder thing but I suppose you could smother them in it.

I once knew a chick that chopped her mother up with an ax in the bathtub and then hid the body parts in a rolled up carpet to try and dispose of it. So I get using the rolled up carpet for hiding the body or disposing of it - but I have never heard of it used for the murder itself.

(She was hot but pretty crazy, so I was glad to be done with her when she went full on near-serial killer and it hit the news)

I suppose it is possible to kill someone with a carpet. Not sure I would convict for that if on a jury but definitely the kidnapping sounds like enough to put him away for a while.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3raf6ppx said:
IndyHawk":3raf6ppx said:
and being high on it...

Could you provide a link detailing that it was Crack when he was arrested? The only thing I can find is that it was Cocaine, which is still bad, but not Crack.

And yes, it could be drugs that did it as well, but I'm at least willing to entertain multiple causes for the behavior, unlike others who outright dismiss the possibility of CTE. I guess we'll know for sure if they ever do a brain analysis upon death, since that's the current method of determination.
I guess it was Cocaine I saw not crack but is it not the same thing in the end?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2mmj1isq said:
And even then, is crack used in moderation really all that bad?

I've known a few crack and cocaine users throughout the years. There is no such thing as "moderation" when it comes to cocaine and its derivative forms. It's a drug people binge hard on, because the peak of the high lasts ten to fifteen minutes at best.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3fui46i9 said:
CTE shouldn't be ruled out, but I've never read anything about it making someone aggressive like this...

Aaron Hernandez ring a bell?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There was a pretty semi-famous article written by a player's wife where she documents her husband spiraling into the symptoms of CTE. He was a pretty average player for the Saints, not known as a violent guy.

But she covered how his personality changes, how he became moody, depressed and eventually violent for no reason.

Anyone that believes that CTE has nothing to do with violent behavior is not doing the research.

In fact, didn't Seau's own family talk about how sometimes they were afraid of him - and that was before people knew much about CTE.

How about the stories about Dave Duerson (spelling?) and his struggle with violent tendencies? Isn't he literally the poster-child example of a guy getting CTE?

CTE and violent tendencies go hand in hand, because CTE limits your ability to understand consequences, weigh choices or shrug off emotional reactions. The part of the brain that can override emotions with logic becomes damaged. Impulse control is literally almost gone. So a violent impulse becomes a violent action.

It doesn't seem weird to you that all these NFL guys are committing heinous acts? They are all just bad seeds?

Seafan

Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see how the justice system and CTE excuses are going to work. Research in bran scans have led physicians to believe they can detect CTE in living hosts.

Do you return these people to the streets or do you lock them up for life? Temporary insanity is one thing. CTE is permanent. Do they send them to a state hospital?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't know.

Guys like Marshawn Lynch and Kam Chancellor gave me so much joy for years. I am going to be devastated if that joy came at a terrible cost...that I don't even have to pay, but they do.

I do know this.

A friend of mine was a doctor that treated a number of ex-NFL players. Most of his patients were lower-middle class, if that. He shared the stories and guys I thought were set for life were just scraping by.

I used to think it was because they were stupid with their money, or had financial advisers rob them or something. But he was convinced that the brain damage made it easy for them to make bad decisions or for others to make bad decisions for them.

He always felt that a certain part of the NFL check should have been an annuity so that players could not spend them (Let's ignore that annuities tend to be pretty terrible investments) and would at least have some guaranteed income by which to assure they could live OK when their playing days are over.

Now we are not just worried about a player turning homeless, but ending up in jail for terrible crimes that might not be entirely their fault. Sure it isn't everyone, but it reminds me of how Ambien affects certain people and they end up doing things that are not their fault. That % are not purely guilty, they are victims.

And what might be the literally most profitable enterprise in the US, run by billionaires and subsidized with tax dollars - is clearly shoving some of the data on this impact under the rug and has been for some time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Concussion with Will Smith has some drama in it but the core of the movie is truth, the personality changes and rages and violence was pretty factual. If you have not seen it please do, it will open your mind a bit about possibilities of the effects.