Brandon Marshall signing

lukerguy

Reaction score
I absolutely love this signing. Top 5 blocking WR in the league. Size to help in red zone. Great route runner. Passionate dude. For 2MM this is fantastic.

If you want to commit to the running game, but have poor blocking WRs, good luck. Hawks are throwing their chips in with the running game- look forward to seeing them move the chains and work back on play action.

AgentDib

Reaction score
In my book this is a move with low downside and medium upside. If Marshall can stay healthy then he could give our red zone offense a decent boost and he's one of the best run blocking WRs in the league.

I don't agree with people who are worried about our young receivers getting playing time. This isn't the MLB and we don't have a farm system. If players are not ready to contribute this year then that's too bad, and losing their spot to 2018 Brandon Marshall means they weren't good enough to play for us this year. Most of the young receivers that people are over-hyping are FA's next season anyway and it makes zero sense to prioritize developing them over winning.

I know it was actually a few years back by this point and so people forget, but when Carroll joined the team in 2010 he signed a bunch of experienced veterans to key depth roles. Especially along the defensive line: Raheem Brock, Junior Siavii, Colin Cole, and Craig Terrill were all in that 30-32 range at the time. Lawyer Milloy and Brandon Stokely weren't in anybody's long range plans either with both considering retirement, but Milloy ended up starting the entire season and being a key defensive leader.

I just can't fathom how a Hawks fan can watch the team closely since Carroll's arrival and think that Pete will be doing anything in 2018 other than trying to win as many football games as possible.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Years too late but I’m ok with this. He can bring a good option.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I'm liking this acquisition with the little risk and possible significant contribution he could have. I just hope it's not a move that's really designed to motivate Darboh, Moore, McEvoy and others in which Pete has really no intention of having Marshall make the team--ala T.O., Antoine Winfield, Browner the last time, etc.

original poster

Reaction score
This is absolutely a low-risk high reward signing, who doesn't like them?

Marshall, at minimum, will be used in the red zone and on third down then sporadically between the 20's.

At best, he will become WR2 and get at least 800 yards.

My bet is edging towards the first statement with a hint of the second thrown in. My biggest concern going into this season was who catches passes in the endzone, that is now answered. We finally got back to half decent redzone production last season and I feared this season we'd be going back to our old ways but even if Marshall doesn't step foot on the field until we get into the redzone I'll still be happy.

I'd imagine his contract will look something like this -

Base - $1,015,000 non GTD
SB - $250,000 - $400,000
Incentives to take it up to $2M based on production, all of those will be classed as 'not likely to be earned' so his cap hit will be under $1,500,000 for 2018.

toffee

Reaction score
original poster":dkv1u41m said:
This is absolutely a low-risk high reward signing, who doesn't like them?

Marshall, at minimum, will be used in the red zone and on third down then sporadically between the 20's.

At best, he will become WR2 and get at least 800 yards.

My bet is edging towards the first statement with a hint of the second thrown in. My biggest concern going into this season was who catches passes in the endzone, that is now answered. We finally got back to half decent redzone production last season and I feared this season we'd be going back to our old ways but even if Marshall doesn't step foot on the field until we get into the redzone I'll still be happy.

I'd imagine his contract will look something like this -

Base - $1,015,000 non GTD
SB - $250,000 - $400,000
Incentives to take it up to $2M based on production, all of those will be classed as 'not likely to be earned' so his cap hit will be under $1,500,000 for 2018.

If he can catch like 5-7 TDs, he would be a good investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Brandon Marshall is a hands catcher, and is an attribute the rest of the receivers need to learn. It's one of the things that makes Brandon so good.

Bringing up his emotional history is ridiculous IMHO, he was diagnosed with bipolar
I believe it was, and is on medication for it. Not only that, but he is spreading awareness about mental disease and doing what he can to help others. Then there's his dad who kept asking for money then treated him like crap.

I really admire Brandon for what he's overcome, and how he donates his time to help others. He's a smart man, and is why he's on Inside the NFL.

Harvin and Graham are in no way comparable. They Pete's fault for trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. His arrogance allowed him to think he could handle Percy. What a collosal mistake that was.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Bi Polar was found out after we had him in the last time I think, he was able to turn stiff around, his Cancer in the Locker room issue was about a feud with a defensive player he I believe said mailed it in, to me that's not a cancer it's holding them accountable. The problem is he did it through the media, that was his mistake.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Don't see many downsides to this deal, don't know what some are trippin' over. Marshall is not the same guy he was in his prime, but he doesn't need to be that guy here. Marshall was called here to compete, and if he makes the roster, a role player. He offers the Seahawks a variety of things that they don't currently have on this roster, and most of all he provides us with flexibility. Marshall can be a threat on the outside, allowing Baldwin to move to the slot position on key downs -- which is where he does his best work. Marshall also provides us with a big body, YAC potential, and red zone threat. He most certainly will not the guy he was in his prime, however I fully expect that he can fulfill the Joe Jurvicious type of role for us. Think of him almost like a TE, not a big play receiver.

As a role player, I really do love Brandon Marshall, especially for only 2 million per year IF he hits incentives. If we get lucky, maybe he have a late career surge like Boldin did. They do have similar skill sets, and athletic abilities at this point in their career. I could see something happening like that for Marshall.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Eh, dont care to much about the signing either way. Hopefully he can be productive. Only negative I can see is that the other WR's arent panning out as quickly as I would have liked, thus this signing.

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't see Marshall as much of a red zone threat anymore. In the Last 2 years (20 games played), he has scored a grand total of 3 TD's. Richardson scored 6 TD's last season alone. I think he is finished and chasing a dream, and some fans are chasing a name. That doesn't make this a bad signing (depending on guaranteed $$), but I'm expectlng little production from a washed up WR myself.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Kind of JAG nowadays. If he makes the team it’s a real indictment on the development of younger guys.

chris98251

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":103lkzk7 said:
Kind of JAG nowadays. If he makes the team it’s a real indictment on the development of younger guys.

If he has his legs under him 959 catches and that ability to make clutch catches is hard to pass up, the young guys may learn it but I still think were in the compete now idealism, the red shirt project continues until a young guy can step up and show he can do it. McEvoy has been given that chance and they don't appear sold on him to do it. Nobody else has that body type.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":sl59n2mx said:
Coug_Hawk08":sl59n2mx said:

If he has his legs under him 959 catches and that ability to make clutch catches is hard to pass up, the young guys may learn it but I still think were in the compete now idealism, the red shirt project continues until a young guy can step up and show he can do it. McEvoy has been given that chance and they don't appear sold on him to do it. Nobody else has that body type.

Disagree with that too. His last full season (2016) he was 2nd in the NFL in drops with 8 along with an abysmal 46% completion to target rate.

Here is another clutch drop just last year. IMO he just isn't any longer what he once was.

[youtube]aVEt9oehTsM[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
All receivers drop balls, some of it is on them, some of it is a good defensive play, some of it is weather and ball preparation, I mean by that if they don't take the shiny coating off the ball and it is slicker, gloves or no gloves, some of it is on ball placement by the QB. tell me when a Jets QB last made the Pro Bowl ?

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":1i4bvk3p said:
All receivers drop balls, some of it is on them, some of it is a good defensive play, some of it is on ball placement by the QB. tell me when a Jets QB last made the Pro Bowl ?

Agree. Not league leading though!!

Read my update on abysmal catch rate of 46% also. That is really bad.

That also happens to be 3rd worst in the league.!!

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...CEIVING&opp=0&sort=12&qualified=1&sortOrder=1

So lets just drop the great hands / clutch player card....not lately folks.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":7wg564hk said:
chris98251":7wg564hk said:
All receivers drop balls, some of it is on them, some of it is a good defensive play, some of it is on ball placement by the QB. tell me when a Jets QB last made the Pro Bowl ?

You have to look at is that his consistent rate or a abberition, again he is a cheap body right now, if he has his focus back and wants to prove something we may see his numbers show much better, also Wilson throws a very catchable ball. Don't like his placement all the time and I hope the throws his receivers open more under Schotty as well.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":1pcw3v42 said:
Seymour":1pcw3v42 said:
chris98251":1pcw3v42 said:

You have to look at is that his consistent rate or a abberition, again he is a cheap body right now, if he has his focus back and wants to prove something we may see his numbers show much better, also Wilson throws a very catchable ball. Don't like his placement all the time and I hope the throws his receivers open more under Schotty as well.

Disagree. When you go past 30 (now 34) as a WR a natural "abberition" is going to come with age.

LOL @ catchable ball. Watch the video I posted!! Breadbasket drop.

Best thing he "could do" IMO is play decoy and block. They aren't paying him squat compared to his NY contract, and there is a reason he was available so cheap. Just don't go thinking he is out "answer" or you'll be disappointed IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
He was targeted 128 times, Edelman and Crabtree the only other two targeted more, Crabtree had 9 drops, Edelman 5, his targets were high and before injury he really was a guy that had the focus of the defense I am sure. Don't think it's a big alarm bell.