Breno to Jets

drdiags

Reaction score
For those asking why the team isn't signing back all these players, tell me how you pay them what they got on the open market and keep from cutting everybody. The FO signed Bennett, did you not want that to happen? The team had a number for Tate, he chose a better deal in an offense he rather play in. Maragos was asked to take a cut last year or take a hike. Do you really think he wanted back here or that the FO wanted to give him a decent contract?

Schofield - want to pay him 8M for 2 years?
McDonald - 12M for 4 years, match that one?
Breno - He was making $3.5M last year, I doubt he takes a reduction in pay so do you pay him $4M+
Big Red - Due $8.5M, do you keep him and lose Bennett?
Clemons - 7.5M - keep him at whose expense?
Rice - I doubt anyone is bellyaching about his release, but Blitzer88. What say you?

I am not sure what you guys want to do. There was $2.5M residual cap at the beginning of the new NFL year, and the increase cap would not have allowed you to keep the players at their current levels. So who gets to stay out of the above group?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
drdiags":1jm4yw46 said:
For those asking why the team isn't signing back all these players, tell me how you pay them what they got on the open market and keep from cutting everybody. The FO signed Bennett, did you not want that to happen? The team had a number for Tate, he chose a better deal in an offense he rather play in. Maragos was asked to take a cut last year or take a hike. Do you really think he wanted back here or that the FO wanted to give him a decent contract?

Breno - He was making $3.5M last year, I doubt he takes a reduction in pay so do you pay him $4M+
Rice - I doubt anyone is bellyaching about his release, but Blitzer88. What say you?

I am not sure what you guys want to do. There was $2.5M residual cap at the beginning of the new NFL year, and the increase cap would not have allowed you to keep the players at their current levels. So who gets to stay out of the above group?
:13:

Kaiser

Reaction score
The most notable thing breno did here was take stupid penalties after the whistle.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Chalk most initial reactions up as off the cuff emotion. Given a step back & time to digest, it all should make sense.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1mzhh39x said:
In Cable we trust right? Not that worried about it, money we couldn't spend. He's a marginal talent.
Yeah, maybe he can find another Sweezy to take over at Right Tackle.
Unfortunately for Wilson and Lynch, continuity in their Offense just took a hit.
A transition, even for Bailey will not be seamless, and Breno's nastiness is going to be missed.

irocdave

Reaction score
Man fans crack me up. The hawks finally win a SB doing it the right way and fans are complaining about losing players off that team. THATS HOW THE NFL WORKS. Been that way since the mid 90's. Win a SB and your going to lose your FA's. That's how it works. Sure, sign Breno, Tate, keep Clem and Big Red. Guess what? When RW comes up next year what do you do? How about ET? With the salary cap the way it is the Hawks wouldn't be able to sign RW and ET next year.

What really gets me is Hawk fans claiming RW is one of the best QB in the NFL. Lets see how he does without Tate, Breno, maybe Marshawn after 2014. maybe without Russel Okung? This isn't magic. If you don't have an O line and no running game your QB better be one of the best ever to play the game. I'm focusing on the RW fan base that thinks he is a top 5 QB in todays NFL. He hasn't come close to showing this yet because he has had good to great players surrounding him. Losing Breno and Tate will prove out if he is worthy of the payday / loss of talent around him. I think he can succeed but he needs to prove it. He also needs to prove he can succeed without the best D in the league.

That's how the modern NFL works. Sucks, but it is what it is.

kearly

Reaction score
I was at peace with losing Tate, even though he was under-rated and a better player than even his $6 million salary in Detroit.

But letting Breno go, unless it's for something unexpected like $5 million a year, just smacks of getting a little too cute. It's not that I don't like Bowie, but he was awful in pass protection last year and you'd need some rose colored glasses on to think he'd be an adequate 16 game starter in 2014. Bailey could possibly handle it, but they've played Bailey everywhere but tackle after the preseason ended.

I can understand pinching pennies at WR and maybe DL, but not at tackle. Not after last season.

Also, **** the Jersey press for welcoming Giacomini by calling him "underwhelming." What a dipshit thing to say.

Penman96

Reaction score
This is all working out well. We aren't losing any players that were critical, and we are freeing up plenty of cap room for resigning the stars. I'm still optimistic that Jared Allen will play for us next year, and we have the draft class of 2014, and most of the draft class of 2013, ready to man up.

In all fairness, I'd expect a roster churn or 8-10 players / year. Every year. That keeps the team young and aggressive. The secret is obviously to keep finding talented replacements, and our FO excels at that.

So happy days. Good luck in the big apple Breno.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Dang I liked Breno. He brought some nastiness to the o-line and would often get in other players heads. You need a 'dirtbag' like that especially on a power running team.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
drdiags":1bvm6iua said:

No argument here. Next man up!

TXHawk

Reaction score
The OL was easily the weakest unit on the team this year and needs to be upgraded, and that certainly includes the RT position. The FO apparently made no effort to keep Breno so that should tell you something. We are only Day 2 into FA and weeks before the draft so no one should think that Bowie and Bailey will be our only options to replace Breno by the time camp rolls around. There will be more widebodies on the way.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
kearly":2e4uaynx said:
I was at peace with losing Tate, even though he was under-rated and a better player than even his $6 million salary in Detroit.

But letting Breno go, unless it's for something unexpected like $5 million a year, just smacks of getting a little too cute. It's not that I don't like Bowie, but he was awful in pass protection last year and you'd need some rose colored glasses on to think he'd be an adequate 16 game starter in 2014. Bailey could possibly handle it, but they've played Bailey everywhere but tackle after the preseason ended.

I can understand pinching pennies at WR and maybe DL, but not at tackle. Not after last season.

Also, **** the Jersey press for welcoming Giacomini by calling him "underwhelming." What a dipshit thing to say.
You silly man. Everything is going according to plan. Breno, like all those other guys, is easily replaceable.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
Isn't there a song written about this topic from way back?? Anyone else hearing Elton John signing, "Breno! Breno and the Jets."?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":29jjix3r said:

He better get used to it. The media in NY is a pack of wolves. Think today is bad? Wait till he gets his first personal foul or key holding penalty.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":1wcau02h said:
Isn't there a song written about this topic from way back?? Anyone else hearing Elton John signing, "Breno! Breno and the Jets."?
I was wondering when someone would drop this.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Breno, while his fiestyness was amusing at times, is utterly replaceable. I have the utmost faith in Pete and John; they have a plan and so far it's worked. Can't wait to see all the compensory picks we get this year.