Brian Baldinger Disgusted by OL Mistakes

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, Baldinger is just saying everything that’s been said on this forum for a couple years now. Interesting, frustrating, stuff.

RussB

Reaction score
Watched more these are rookie mistakes these guys keep making. This falls solely on the coaching staff offensive linemen cannot be this bad. Tom cable is either not explaining to them properly or they are confused with what he is trying to teach them. He needs to be gone and they need to get a real o line coach.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I wish I could unsee those.

My dog had diarrhea in the house today, but watching this was worse.

RussB

Reaction score
rjdriver":3odq2amg said:

Dont worry. Cable is working on a fix as we speak...................
570d518d1e00008700706d98

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
RussB":2i15971e said:
rjdriver":2i15971e said:

Dont worry. Cable is working on a fix as we speak...................
570d518d1e00008700706d98

Cables more suited fixing the dog than the offensive line.

RCATES

Reaction score
Cable and Bevell will ultimately cost PC his job. These clowns should have been fired 2 years ago. Without RW this offense would be straight garbage.

Hendo66

Reaction score
It really is unbelievable.
The biggest fail to me is the total disregard for RW's health & longevity.
Which of course directly affects the future and fortune of this franchise.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RussB":3kyixxzh said:
Watched more these are rookie mistakes these guys keep making. This falls solely on the coaching staff offensive linemen cannot be this bad. Tom cable is either not explaining to them properly or they are confused with what he is trying to teach them.

Or rookies aren't always perfect.

But I guess that isn't a welcome thought for vent-threads like this.

Smellyman

Reaction score
aredub":1p5y5slw said:
Ifedi is the worst....wow. I knew he was bad, but this is just awful. It doesn't even look like he knows what his assignment is on any of these! This is really embarrassing to watch. If it wasn't for Wilson's ability to escapse it'd be even worse. Move him back to RG or something and let someone else play RT.

A lot of people keep saying this and that is only slightly better. He was an awful guard, Glowinski was a better guard than him. Now moving a slow footed awful technique guard and have more of his weaknesses shown at RT is dumb and proof of Cable's 'genius'. However, he shouldn't be playing at all, anywhere on the line.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2017":m8jzcvwg said:
Three of those plays were supposed to be combo blocks by Pocic that he botched because he's playing a new position (RG) on the fly. One was Joeckel showing rust on a missed stunt. Last one was Matt Tobin being Matt Tobin.

ahh so they get a pass, hmm not sure how you can get a pass for blowing rather simple assignments

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Anthony!":3230dwbg said:
hawknation2017":3230dwbg said:
Three of those plays were supposed to be combo blocks by Pocic that he botched because he's playing a new position (RG) on the fly. One was Joeckel showing rust on a missed stunt. Last one was Matt Tobin being Matt Tobin.

ahh so they get a pass, hmm not sure how you can get a pass for blowing rather simple assignments

They don't get a pass, but those things are correctable as they develop continuity, Pocic gains some experience, and Joeckel overcomes the rust. Overall, the line played its best game in at least two years. Cherrypicking four mistakes doesn't change that.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3ffj6kfj said:
Anthony!":3ffj6kfj said:
hawknation2017":3ffj6kfj said:

They don't get a pass, but those things are correctable as they develop continuity, Pocic gains some experience, and Joeckel overcomes the rust. Overall, the line played its best game in at least two years. Cherrypicking four mistakes doesn't change that.

You mean 5 mistakes? LOL to ever having continuity, there will never be continuity on the oline as long as Cable is here. He cannot evaluate talent to save his ass. Pre season means nothing, we still are switching positions and players around games 4-6 year after year because his decisions are that poor. There is a clear pattern and the only common denominator is Cable.

Also LOL to best game in 2 years. That may be for pass blocking, but lets not just blow off the other 1/2 of the game (running game). It sucks and is STILL at an all time low, and was not any better against the 29th "best" run defense.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's easy to pick a couple of the worst plays out and criticize them with mock outrage. We had a couple of ugly plays on Sunday for sure, but what is the context? How often did we screw things up compared to other teams? How did our play compare to our earlier games this season?

Personally, I thought the Hawks OL played perhaps their best game of the year despite a couple of mistakes. Russ had a lot more time than Beathard did at any rate. As fans we place credit or blame on our own players and never consider that the other team has their own good and bad performances.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Okay, so this is cherrypicking now? The team is absolutely garbage at running the ball with RBs and it's not debatable. That's plenty of evidence to indicate that these kinds of mistakes have been happening ALL YEAR.

I do think the line was better in pass pro, but the zero sacks allowed thing is very misleading. There were at least three plays where a guy had Russ in his arms and he somehow escaped. The line sucks and has sucked the entire year. Sure, they're better than they were week 1 at GB at pass pro, which is great, but they have not improved at run blocking at all! That is crazy! Even the Bengals were able to run on a Browns defense that is #2 in the league at limiting yards per carry. The Bengals run game is #31 in the league, their OL is trash, and they still figured it out against an elite run defense to the tune of 126 yards on 26 carries (RBs only). Meanwhile, we haven't had a good rushing performance this year except maybe at home vs. the 49ers. We can act like these are isolated incidents, blame them on rookies, etc. but the reality is that this has been going on consistently since the start of 2016 and all of this year.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
RCATES":32iwc6vu said:
Cable and Bevell will ultimately cost PC his job. These clowns should have been fired 2 years ago. Without RW this offense would be straight garbage.
If these two clowns remain on the staff we may well find out just how straight garbage it will be. And it may happen without RW because he may not survive.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3qt307f4 said:
Hawkpower":3qt307f4 said:
Didn't Ifedi grade out really high after the game?

Pretty sure I read that he had his best game as a pro Sunday.....

You read that from PFF, the same group that missed at least two pressures allowed by Pocic (#1 is shown in the first clip).

I'm not defending our OL, exactly, but I am about done with Brian Baldinger. No national analyst wrings his hands or takes a team's struggles so weirdly personally. He's been doing this all season.

He also isn't using any context. Ifedi is bad. Tobin is bad and not a starter. Pocic is a rookie. Brown hadn't practiced all week. That pretty much explains most of what you just saw on tape, yet it gets no acknowledgement from Baldinger. That makes him an Ifedi-level analyst.

It's yet another example of how blaming "the line" is a reductive and useless waste of words. Call out the correct people for specific things. Don't just blame "the line". That includes Brown and Britt.

What a ridiculous reaction to obvious clear mistakes that shouldn't be happening at this week to a pro nfl team's o line.

I could care less what teams he calls out, it's never personal if it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING. In other words you can't hide the truth.

People who play the poor Seattle card are silly.

As for the o line I 100% believe it's a coaching problem and everything you saw on tape is a result of poor coaching more than it is other factors.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
But we make the playoffs every year, so everything is fine, not reason to change...

Soooooo frustrating.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Ifedi's miss on the goalline was awful, then he laid on the ground to provide an extra defender for the defense. He's also too easily to topple, hopefully he improves though. Whats funny is Lacy didn't even attempt to be athletic enough to jump over Ifedi.

Brown gave up a few pressures in this game which was odd considering he was supposed to be a stud. Not saying one game defines him but I definitely noticed him getting beat on occasion.

I think this is ultimately a deeper coaching problem, but I'll probably continue to ignore that and hope for the best even though it likely will continue to limit us until things change.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
AgentDib":lohup0as said:
It's easy to pick a couple of the worst plays out and criticize them with mock outrage. We had a couple of ugly plays on Sunday for sure, but what is the context? How often did we screw things up compared to other teams? How did our play compare to our earlier games this season?

Personally, I thought the Hawks OL played perhaps their best game of the year despite a couple of mistakes. Russ had a lot more time than Beathard did at any rate. As fans we place credit or blame on our own players and never consider that the other team has their own good and bad performances.
I'm sorry, they get paid how much? They practice these things how long? And they've been playing this game all their lives? The 49ers didn't need to have a good game to look good against that crap. No opponent needs to have a good game for this. This is a repetitive performance that has been going on for the better part of two years.

With all due respect, it's sad that anyone would use the phrase "their best game of the year" when referring to the o-line in that game. That should have been one of the worst games of the year. But we're so used to seeing them play like they're complete strangers it gets accepted!?!