Brian Baldinger Disgusted by OL Mistakes

Crizilla

Reaction score
Cable doesn't know how to coach. It's that simple folks. Wake up. My goodness...

IrishNW

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2hz1yiag said:
Hawkpower":2hz1yiag said:
Didn't Ifedi grade out really high after the game?

Pretty sure I read that he had his best game as a pro Sunday.....

You read that from PFF, the same group that missed at least two pressures allowed by Pocic (#1 is shown in the first clip).

I'm not defending our OL, exactly, but I am about done with Brian Baldinger. No national analyst wrings his hands or takes a team's struggles so weirdly personally. He's been doing this all season.

He also isn't using any context. Ifedi is bad. Tobin is bad and not a starter. Pocic is a rookie. Brown hadn't practiced all week. That pretty much explains most of what you just saw on tape, yet it gets no acknowledgement from Baldinger. That makes him an Ifedi-level analyst.

It's yet another example of how blaming "the line" is a reductive and useless waste of words. Call out the correct people for specific things. Don't just blame "the line". That includes Brown and Britt.

I also noticed the personal grudge he seems to have with us. I wonder what the story is

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't think he has a grudge. I've heard him say good things about us many times. He is a former olineman and is appalled at the ridiculous mistakes taking place still this late in the season...just as fans should be IMO.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Cable is so bad he needs to keep in the front office as a special assistant scout. Every year he will compile his list of "good" linemen once the GM gets that list the team will know without a doubt who the worst linemen in the nation are. Cable can still help build this Oline. The crazy thing is this Howard Mudd lives in Seattle he is one of the best Olinemen and Oline coaches in NFL history.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2o0pl1ae said:
Anthony!":2o0pl1ae said:
hawknation2017":2o0pl1ae said:
Three of those plays were supposed to be combo blocks by Pocic that he botched because he's playing a new position (RG) on the fly. One was Joeckel showing rust on a missed stunt. Last one was Matt Tobin being Matt Tobin.

ahh so they get a pass, hmm not sure how you can get a pass for blowing rather simple assignments

They don't get a pass, but those things are correctable as they develop continuity, Pocic gains some experience, and Joeckel overcomes the rust. Overall, the line played its best game in at least two years. Cherrypicking four mistakes doesn't change that.

I would not agree their best games in 2 years, and 2nd those things are correctable, you mean those same things that this oline has been doing for ohh 3 years are correctable. Seems like in 3 years they should be corrected and I don't want to hear well they are new, Joeckel has been in the league for a number of years, as to Pcic if he was nt9 ready he should not have played. IT is not cherry picking if it is every game and guess what there were more than 5.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
sdog1981":1zch4d1d said:
Cable is so bad he needs to keep in the front office as a special assistant scout. Every year he will compile his list of "good" linemen once the GM gets that list the team will know without a doubt who the worst linemen in the nation are. Cable can still help build this Oline. The crazy thing is this Howard Mudd lives in Seattle he is one of the best Olinemen and Oline coaches in NFL history.

SNAP: Right on the money Ifedi wouldn't make it on a practice squad on any of the other 31 Teams as with most of the line. I use to like to hear Pete say you have to compete for your position, So if these guy's are the top I wonder what the bottom looks like on the roster. I am constantly watching in slow mode the O line in games on running plays they get dirven back 3-4 yards you'd almost think they were passing the ball.

AgentDib

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":freofce9 said:
I'm sorry, they get paid how much? They practice these things how long? And they've been playing this game all their lives?
That's where context comes in. Do you think that the Seahawks OL was the only one to give up pressures this weekend? If you watched the game you must have seen the 49ers OL giving up more, and they've also played the game all their lives, yadda yadda yadda. Pointing out that we made mistakes is meaningless without the larger picture of how we played on every snap and how that compared to other offensive lines.

MD5eahawks":freofce9 said:
The 49ers didn't need to have a good game to look good against that crap. No opponent needs to have a good game for this.
Do you think the 49ers d-line looked particularly good? Carradine looked nowhere near 100%, Marsh and Dumervil were underwhelming, and Buckner had maybe three good interior pressures in 50 snaps. Reid and Foster were the only two guys that seemed like difference makers on Sunday.

adeltaY":freofce9 said:
Okay, so this is cherrypicking now?
He picked a couple of glaring mistakes we made to rant about. That's fine, but it is the definition of cherry picking. And it's even useful in so much as it demonstrates that our floor is still low and on any given play things can look like a hot mess. You could do the same thing about any unit on any team, however. Imagine Anthony's reaction if you put each of Russ's poor throws over the last three games into a montage and ranted about them.

Anthony!":freofce9 said:
Seems like in 3 years they should be corrected and I don't want to hear well they are new
Maybe you should hear it anyway because it's the unfortunate truth. Pocic was making his first NFL start at RG, while Joeckel, Britt and Ifedi have less than two seasons of experience at G, C and T respectively.

djb28

Reaction score
I am so happy that Baldy put this out there. I hope they are embarrassed.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
djb28":36e7iq6m said:
I am so happy that Baldy put this out there. I hope they are embarrassed.

It's nothing new; nothing we haven't been seeing going on 3 seasons. I keep asking "How can they really be that much worse, that much more incapable, than any other NFL Oline??"

But.
It.
Just.
Keeps.
Happening.

Anthony!

Reaction score
AgentDib":2gs9oksr said:
MD5eahawks":2gs9oksr said:
I'm sorry, they get paid how much? They practice these things how long? And they've been playing this game all their lives?
That's where context comes in. Do you think that the Seahawks OL was the only one to give up pressures this weekend? If you watched the game you must have seen the 49ers OL giving up more, and they've also played the game all their lives, yadda yadda yadda. Pointing out that we made mistakes is meaningless without the larger picture of how we played on every snap and how that compared to other offensive lines.

MD5eahawks":2gs9oksr said:
The 49ers didn't need to have a good game to look good against that crap. No opponent needs to have a good game for this.
Do you think the 49ers d-line looked particularly good? Carradine looked nowhere near 100%, Marsh and Dumervil were underwhelming, and Buckner had maybe three good interior pressures in 50 snaps. Reid and Foster were the only two guys that seemed like difference makers on Sunday.

adeltaY":2gs9oksr said:
He picked a couple of glaring mistakes we made to rant about. That's fine, but it is the definition of cherry picking. And it's even useful in so much as it demonstrates that our floor is still low and on any given play things can look like a hot mess. You could do the same thing about any unit on any team, however. Imagine Anthony's reaction if you put each of Russ's poor throws over the last three games into a montage and ranted about them.

Anthony!":2gs9oksr said:
Seems like in 3 years they should be corrected and I don't want to hear well they are new
Maybe you should hear it anyway because it's the unfortunate truth. Pocic was making his first NFL start at RG, while Joeckel, Britt and Ifedi have less than two seasons of experience at G, C and T respectively.

again 3 years to correct mistakes, maybe the answer should have been instead of getting another DL we get some experience OL. So sorry nothing you said is anything but excuses for the team not addressing an issue that has existed for over 3 years. and let me remind you they looked better against a bottom 10 defense. I guess to you we should give them time, and oh if our franchise QB gets hurt and misses the year oh well, and if he gets hurt and cant play anymore oh well, at least we gave the oline more time. LIke I said nothing you said changes the fact we have had this problem for years adn the FO have not fixed it.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
PC knows his offensive line is horrible.

He probably knows Cable has a lot to do with it.

I'm starting to think Bevell is a better coordinator than Cable is a line coach.

But since we're only just fans discussing this among other fans on an Internet forum, our opinions doesn't mean anything.

We have two options: 1. Continue to be frustrated. 2. Accept it and hope the line eventually gets better without Wilson getting continuously throttled.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Wow. Props to Wilson. I wouldn't put up with that crap. No way.

I cringe thinking what the Eagles might do to him.

Yikes.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
AgentDib":192n8b2i said:
adeltaY":192n8b2i said:

Do you think cherrypicking doesn't have negative connotations? Because picking those kinds of plays to exemplify the state of our run blocking is not disingenuous in the slightest. I laid out how bad our run game is in an earlier post. It's far more logical to conclude, based on what we see and what the statistics say, that the plays Baldy selected are representative of how or OL run blocks. Here's another: our OL is ranked 28th in the league in adjusted line yards. Yeah, I think picking plays where the OL run blocks well is more likely to be cherrypicking than the selection in the OP is.

Also, he clearly doesn't have a grudge against the Seahawks. The dude marvels at how good our defense is and how amazing Russ is despite the mediocre to horrific line around him. He may have against our OL, but I think it's well-founded and many of us here share his sentiment.

AgentDib

Reaction score
adeltaY":3a1yko8l said:
It's far more logical to conclude, based on what we see and what the statistics say, that the plays Baldy selected are representative of how or OL run blocks.
He chose two of those plays specifically because they featured mistakes in pass blocking. They are not representative, but may appear so due in part due to selective perception caused by your priors and in part due to the Von Restorff effect.

The first drive of the game had a first play interception where the pass blocking was average. The second drive of the game had four downfield passes. Britt got beat on the third one and overall the drive featured good but not great pass blocking.

3RD & 10 AT SEA 27(12:03)
MM5chNY

2ND & 8 AT SEA 41(10:58)
T63zUtr

2ND & 7 AT SF 30(09:45)
62RbPSU

3RD & 7 AT SF 30(09:42)
KnlxVJe

I don't think you can separate RB contribution and OL contribution when it comes to zone run blocking simply by looking at the footage.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":27u162ft said:
2. Accept it and hope the line eventually gets better without Wilson getting continuously throttled.
How long is one expected to wait for this? I've been waiting four years.

original poster

Reaction score
The problem starts and ends with Cable. I'd pay money to have him gone in the offseason, Pete hand over the reigns to Bevell to call the game how he see's fit and I'd bet this offense would come alive.

The run game has been non existent all season and it's not down to ability, it's down to coaching.

I'm actually excited about the Brown, Joeckel, Britt, Pocic, Ifedi line that's a strong group, they're just not responding well. You only have to look at all the previous lineman that have left and done pretty well when not being coached by Cable.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
AgentDib":j0vtd8so said:
I don't think you can separate RB contribution and OL contribution when it comes to zone run blocking simply by looking at the footage.

The pass pro was good this game, I'm in full agreement with you there, Agent. I mentioned this in my earlier post and what I meant to get across was that they were good but not "0 sacks allowed" good because Russ escaped a few players that almost had him wrapped up. It's the run blocking that's the problem. I also agree with your point about the RBs contributing to the problem. Lacy is slow to the hole, Rawls has been missing reads and either dances or is over-eager, and even Carson was missing some reads, though he broke so many tackles and was looking to improve before he got hurt. The OL/RBs need to work together to produce a running game and they have categorically failed this year. I don't think anyone can argue otherwise.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The fact that our line didn't allow a single sack against the Niners is a heck of a step in the right direction for me.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":qzwbrga5 said:
The fact that our line didn't allow a single sack against the Niners is a heck of a step in the right direction for me.

The front seven of the niners is ranked dead last, How many sacks do they give away to the Eagles?