Brian Baldinger Disgusted by OL Mistakes

Seymour

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":shd603la said:
TheLegendOfBoom":shd603la said:
2. Accept it and hope the line eventually gets better without Wilson getting continuously throttled.
How long is one expected to wait for this? I've been waiting four years.

We are currently experiencing a high volume of requests. Average wait time is...........8 years.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2oaeugag said:
MontanaHawk05":2oaeugag said:
Hawkpower":2oaeugag said:
Didn't Ifedi grade out really high after the game?

Pretty sure I read that he had his best game as a pro Sunday.....

You read that from PFF, the same group that missed at least two pressures allowed by Pocic (#1 is shown in the first clip).

I'm not defending our OL, exactly, but I am about done with Brian Baldinger. No national analyst wrings his hands or takes a team's struggles so weirdly personally. He's been doing this all season.

He also isn't using any context. Ifedi is bad. Tobin is bad and not a starter. Pocic is a rookie. Brown hadn't practiced all week. That pretty much explains most of what you just saw on tape, yet it gets no acknowledgement from Baldinger. That makes him an Ifedi-level analyst.

It's yet another example of how blaming "the line" is a reductive and useless waste of words. Call out the correct people for specific things. Don't just blame "the line". That includes Brown and Britt.

What a ridiculous reaction to obvious clear mistakes that shouldn't be happening at this week to a pro nfl team's o line.

I could care less what teams he calls out, it's never personal if it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING. In other words you can't hide the truth.

People who play the poor Seattle card are silly.

As for the o line I 100% believe it's a coaching problem and everything you saw on tape is a result of poor coaching more than it is other factors.

Dismissing relevant facts out of hand isn't a good way to convince anyone. Again, I'll repeat:

Ifedi is bad. Tobin is bad and not a starter. Pocic is a rookie. Brown hadn't practiced all week. That pretty much explains most of what you just saw on tape

You're trying hard to put this at the coach's feet because replacing a coach is a quicker fix than replacing linemen.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":3q379sbk said:
Okay, so this is cherrypicking now? The team is absolutely garbage at running the ball with RBs and it's not debatable.

I'll debate it all day. Turn on the tape and watch the way Lacy dances behind the line with a massive crease right in front of him. Or how Rawls misses cutbacks and runs flailing into Britt's back. The fact that Carson could make yardage behind this line in September suggests to me that the line's problems are being conflated with our RB problems. Carson's injury ended the running season for us.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3jd3f6l0 said:
adeltaY":3jd3f6l0 said:
Okay, so this is cherrypicking now? The team is absolutely garbage at running the ball with RBs and it's not debatable.

I'll debate it all day. Turn on the tape and watch the way Lacy dances behind the line with a massive crease right in front of him. Or how Rawls misses cutbacks and runs flailing into Britt's back. The fact that Carson could make yardage behind this line in September suggests to me that the line's problems are being conflated with our RB problems. Carson's injury ended the running season for us.

Lacy can't fit through a "massive crease". He needs the massive crevasse variety.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":csyrwveo said:
The fact that our line didn't allow a single sack against the Niners is a heck of a step in the right direction for me.

That's kind of like saying I never get in a accident on a empty freeway.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1u0s4lt5 said:
adeltaY":1u0s4lt5 said:

Running the ball with RBs.... The RBs are absolutely part of the problem so I'm not sure what you're arguing against.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":214kzu1q said:
MontanaHawk05":214kzu1q said:
adeltaY":214kzu1q said:

Running the ball with RBs.... The RBs are absolutely part of the problem so I'm not sure what you're arguing against.

Your context was the O-line, not the RBs.

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":295fei1s said:
The fact that our line didn't allow a single sack against the Niners is a heck of a step in the right direction for me.

Going from 12 to 10 beers a night is a step in the right direction for an alcoholic

jlwaters1

Reaction score
RussB":31h7yui8 said:
Watched more these are rookie mistakes these guys keep making. This falls solely on the coaching staff offensive linemen cannot be this bad. Tom cable is either not explaining to them properly or they are confused with what he is trying to teach them. He needs to be gone and they need to get a real o line coach.

Execution is on the Player's alone. It's the coaches job to get them prepared. Mental mistakes are on players.

Do you not think Cable has said don't go the wrong way? At the end of the day it's up the players to execute the play.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
jlwaters1":r8he8s34 said:
RussB":r8he8s34 said:
Watched more these are rookie mistakes these guys keep making. This falls solely on the coaching staff offensive linemen cannot be this bad. Tom cable is either not explaining to them properly or they are confused with what he is trying to teach them. He needs to be gone and they need to get a real o line coach.

Execution is on the Player's alone. It's the coaches job to get them prepared. Mental mistakes are on players.

Do you not think Cable has said don't go the wrong way? At the end of the day it's up the players to execute the play.

While it's true players are accountable for execution, but when the same mistakes occur each week then it becomes a coaching issue. That's where the problem is now. Coaches need to be held accountable for this. We are in week 13 of third straight season with the OL and run game being a weak link of the offense. Seems like a coaching issue to me.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":f7ocny61 said:
adeltaY":f7ocny61 said:
MontanaHawk05":f7ocny61 said:
adeltaY":f7ocny61 said:

Your context was the O-line, not the RBs.

Well, yeah, this thread is about the OL. To assume that I don't believe the RBs are part of the problem isn't fair. I've clearly just said that I do.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Further good signs about the OL development...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SandoESPN/status/936351997267185664[/tweet]

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Dib. My eye test told me we were heading in the right direction (to the chafing of some posters on here). This solidifies my hunch.

Anthony!

Reaction score
AgentDib":cgbx4b5k said:

Great but how much of that is Wilson's moving around ad opposed to the oline

chris98251

Reaction score
Anthony!":2nwbu6la said:
AgentDib":2nwbu6la said:

Agreed he is more mobile then last year without the bum knee and ankle so he can buy another half second or more. They will credit the line but Wilson is buying a bit more life expectancy being lighter and healthier this season.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Pass protection has improved a lot, there is no doubt about that. Wilson makes up for it some deficiencies, but sometimes exacerbates them due to his scrambling. It's a double edged sword, but if he were a statue back there, he would have no chance, so I'm happy with it. See: Tom Savage getting destroyed behind a terrible Houston OL vs. Watson behind the same OL for a great example of this.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2cig7vix said:
These are mostly mental mistakes.

I deeply wish for Tom Cable to lose his job after this season. But he won’t. I just really hope that when PC retires that Cable is not retained by the new coaching staff.
After watching a few times it appears to me that we are starting guys who just don't understand who they are supposed to block. They don't understand Cable's system. It is particularly disturbing that even a long time ZBS super star like Brown is struggling a bit to pick up his assignments. The players change but the problems remain.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Anthony!":339kfa3o said:
AgentDib":339kfa3o said:

Did you miss the part where his average time in pocket was higher than 2012?