Brian Schottenheimer

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Context is important, too.

After coaching Drew Brees in San Diego for five seasons, Schottenheimer was stuck with Mark Sanchez, the ghost of Sam Bradford, Austin Davis, and Shaun Hill at QB during his nine seasons as an OC.

He has a very good understanding of the run game, which was a constant issue with Bevell. He even managed to get a couple decent seasons out of Sanchez.

I think he will be a major upgrade over Bevell.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Definitely not an upgrade over Bevell, IMO. Such a meh addition. The Rams were horrible offensively under him as an OC. Marc Trestman would have been better.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
It's hard to judge an o-coordinator when they have a crappy qb give him a chance.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Doubt anyone, myself included, has analyzed Schottenheimer at a level that would give the opinion any meaning. I’m more than willing to give him a shot. Change was needed and he’s it. Wish him the best.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":12eg117d said:
Hawk-Lock":12eg117d said:
I don't want to look too much into his past, because that isn't fair. His QB's he has coordinated for have been Mark Sanchez in New York and then a mix of Bradford, Austin Davis, Kellen Clemens and Shaun Hill in Saint Louis. It's very likely that if he was able to run an offense for someone like Brees or Rodgers he would have had a lot more success.

What I do want to talk about is his play calling style. That Jets team was such a defensive force I remember their style of play being similar to RW's first few seasons with the Seahawks.

Overall it seems like an underwhelming hire, but his resume is incomplete because of the QB's he's had under him.

Or were those quarterbacks bad because of him?

For real? Those guys are just plain bad. Awful luck for him. Coaches Andrew Luck to his best statistical season . . . then Luck misses all of 2017, leaving him with the great Jacoby Brissett.

Gibbo

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2ptpf1bh said:
I said this so many times, but be careful what you wish for. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Christ.

Give him a chance ffs.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1slpg6pj said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/952289962098966528[/tweet]

Oh, is Fieldgulls going against the grain again? Knock me over with a feather.

Maybe Schotty and Wilson find something special together. Maybe not.

I actually agree with the point that it's more about the talent at your disposal than anything else, but if that's the case, why did we let Cable and Bevell go? Because, in Cable's case, there is evidence that he was wrecking the available talent.

Sure, Schotty was stuck with bad quarterbacks for much of his career. He also may have been responsible for those bad quarterbacks, like Sanchez and Bradford. He did have a couple good moments, like Brees and Luck.

Meh. I'm the type to see coordinators as almost a non-factor. I was hoping for an innovator, but this news doesn't really Russell me one way or the other. If you'll pardon the pun that autocorrect provided for me.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Schottenheimer will provide a wealth of knowledge for Wilson.

However, I'm more excited about how this will benefit the running game. An OC who actually understands and appreciates the running game? What a novel idea!

:irishdrinkers:

Rainger

Reaction score
G-Money":ucixhd3g said:
Has proven to be a failure IMO........ugh
Lets not be too quick. The Rams forums say different that he was the problem. Read many of the comment at this forum post:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/bri ... lem.33754/
Granted they are not eschewing love but they are also not trashing him as the reason for the Rams poor offense.
lets just wait and see.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
hawknation2018":y1xi12la said:
MontanaHawk05":y1xi12la said:
Hawk-Lock":y1xi12la said:
I don't want to look too much into his past, because that isn't fair. His QB's he has coordinated for have been Mark Sanchez in New York and then a mix of Bradford, Austin Davis, Kellen Clemens and Shaun Hill in Saint Louis. It's very likely that if he was able to run an offense for someone like Brees or Rodgers he would have had a lot more success.

What I do want to talk about is his play calling style. That Jets team was such a defensive force I remember their style of play being similar to RW's first few seasons with the Seahawks.

Overall it seems like an underwhelming hire, but his resume is incomplete because of the QB's he's had under him.

Or were those quarterbacks bad because of him?

For real? Those guys are just plain bad. Awful luck for him. Coaches Andrew Luck to his best statistical season . . . then Luck misses all of 2017, leaving him with the great Jacoby Brissett.

Brissett wasn’t terrible this year under Schottenheimer. Sub-60 percent completions, yes, but 13 TDs against 7 picks through the air with another 4 rushing TDs. Seems like Schottenheimer was able to craft a game plan that catered to Brissett’s strengths. Seems like he did a decent job, given what he was working with.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2z7ap4f0 said:
I said this so many times, but be careful what you wish for. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

This.

Again was more cable then db.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
MontatnaHawk05":3p53esb4 said:
KitsapGuy":3p53esb4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/952289962098966528[/tweet]

Oh, is Fieldgulls going against the grain again? Knock me over with a feather.

Maybe Schotty and Wilson find something special together. Maybe not.

I actually agree with the point that it's more about the talent at your disposal than anything else, but if that's the case, why did we let Cable and Bevell go? Because, in Cable's case, there is evidence that he was wrecking the available talent.

Sure, Schotty was stuck with bad quarterbacks for much of his career. He also may have been responsible for those bad quarterbacks, like Sanchez and Bradford. He did have a couple good moments, like Brees and Luck.

Meh. I'm the type to see coordinators as almost a non-factor. I was hoping for an innovator, but this news doesn't really Russell me one way or the other. If you'll pardon the pun that autocorrect provided for me.
Have any of those qb' s went on to do anything? I haven't even noticed them.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
That Ram fans are happy about this is clearly a red flag....

Imagine our reaction if an NFC west foe hired Bevell.

Doesn't mean anything concrete of course, but it sure would have been nice if Pete would have taken a bit of a risk here with an innovator rather than a safe, retread, yes man that won't ruffle his feathers.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
Wasn't he the coordinator when Curtis Martin led the league in rushing?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Gibbo":3bm3vjaj said:
Hawk-Lock":3bm3vjaj said:

Christ.

Give him a chance ffs.

I am. I was one of the few who supported Bevell for the most part on here.

I just knew that wanted Bevell gone that they would likely be disappointed with his replacement.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Not disappointed with this replacement and still very glad Bevell is gone. We plateaued with him.