Britt to center?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yet another Tom Cable blunder. He keeps going for over the top linemen, overdrafting them, and they suck. And who pays the price? Our QB.

Why can't they just draft some average linemen that are not injury prone and don't constantly get their QB killed or their RB hit behind the LOS?

Imagine all the defensive players we could have right now if they hadn't drafted all these bogus linemen so high?

Look at the good to decent linemen that have been drafted where they were supposed to be and how their careers are turning out. This team is horrible at drafting linemen, yet they continue to throw shit at the wall to see what sticks. Why not hire someone who has had success with linemen?

The first half of last year was absolutely pathetic and inexcusable. If that shit keeps up, we'll be looking for a new QB in a few years. Mobile QBs typically have short careers, but imagine how beat up Russell would be if he couldn't move?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1ts8uxb1 said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ks-moving-britt-to-center-on-reshuffled-oline

This article makes it seem like they actually have Britt in mind as the starting center. Could just be the assumptions of the writer or it could be the reality.
In other articles I have read, Pete says they actually had Britt in mind as a potential center when they drafted him. That tells me this move is less about desperation than it is about trying to put the right guys with the right attributes in the right places.

I'll try to find link.

Found it.

“If we stay with this throughout camp and get enough play time, he will be able to play every position, make him extremely valuable in that regard," Carroll added of Britt's move to center, an idea Seattle discussed last season and one Carroll said they had in mind when the club drafted Britt three years ago. "We’re trying to utilize the background that he has as we’re still a young group, we’re going to project with another young group, the guy that knows the most and who has the best communication and dialogue with [offensive line coach] Tom [Cable], we think that might be a real advantage there. So we’ll just see what happens.

Largent80

Reaction score
They were extremely wrong about Nowak and that blunder may have cost us HFA. Lewis should be the starter and let the rest battle as a back up. It's really not that hard to figure it out.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Largent80":ips8j212 said:
They were extremely wrong about Nowak and that blunder may have cost us HFA.
Agreed.

Largent80":ips8j212 said:
Lewis should be the starter and let the rest battle as a back up. It's really not that hard to figure it out.
Not so much. I don't want anything to be decided at this point. Let the competition play out.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
ivotuk":2c601qe1 said:
..........Why can't they just draft some average linemen that are not injury prone and don't constantly get their QB killed or their RB hit behind the LOS?..........
They did in round 6. Name's Hunt and if Cable doesn't decide he has to have a freak athlete at the C position, he'll be the starter IMO. Or maybe Pete would prefer a repeat of the Nowak disaster?

MysterMatt

Reaction score
pehawk":2m3d7xv9 said:
I wonder if they'll ever consider starting different centers depending on the match up? They used similar tactics with Carp, IIRC.

On Britt overall, I still think he had a bum shoulder last year. Seemed obvious at times. I think he gritted it out for the team.
I think I heard the thing about Britt's shoulder as well, but if that's the excuse for his poor play, why would they change his position yet again?

Seriously, I think Cable is ruining his career with all the moves (not on purpose). Britt is clearly a G if anything, so why even attempt to try him at C when he needs to focus on one position? The only answer I can think of is that we are now so full in the interior of our OL that Cable is making a last-ditch effort to justify a roster spot for him. I think it will backfire. If there's any hope for Britt, its at G and taking him away from that just diminishes the odds of him making the team.

As a fan I don't care that much...I want the best OL possible and if he isn't a part of that then so be it. It's just that I hate to see such high draft capital squandered and then more draft capital invested to fill the void.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2wb8urdv said:
Reeks of the last gasp to try and find a roster spot for him.

I really doubt Britt makes the team at this point. One of the worst draft picks of the PC/JS era.

I agree with you. The one thing I will say is that there really weren't many good OL that were picked after he was selected. It was a pretty poor draft year in general.

But yeah, I think this is his last shot before he's shown the door.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
xgeoff":34dse588 said:
Hasselbeck":34dse588 said:
Reeks of the last gasp to try and find a roster spot for him.

I really doubt Britt makes the team at this point. One of the worst draft picks of the PC/JS era.

I agree with you. The one thing I will say is that there really weren't many good OL that were picked after he was selected. It was a pretty poor draft year in general.

But yeah, I think this is his last shot before he's shown the door.

I promise I am really trying not to keep bringing this up.. but Joel Bitonio WAS there at 32 and we passed to pick up an extra pick. That pick wound up being Cassius Marsh.

Considering we did that AND we picked Paul Richardson over guys like Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, or even John Brown.. who is kind of the same mold as Richardson.. I would say the 2014 draft is a pretty bad blemish on an otherwise really good record for JS.

Hopefully Glowinski and Ifedi ease the pain of passing on Bitonio and hopefully Richardson can stay on the field .. because I do think he has a lot of talent.. just also has the Tharold Simon thing going too.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":3fytmp6y said:
Yet another Tom Cable blunder. He keeps going for over the top linemen, overdrafting them, and they suck. And who pays the price? Our QB.

Why can't they just draft some average linemen that are not injury prone and don't constantly get their QB killed or their RB hit behind the LOS?

I think that's exactly what they did this year. Finally. So we will see how it goes.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
ivotuk":2cpdzhe5 said:

Imagine all the defensive players we could have right now if they hadn't drafted all these bogus linemen so high?

Look at the good to decent linemen that have been drafted where they were supposed to be and how their careers are turning out. This team is horrible at drafting linemen, yet they continue to throw shit at the wall to see what sticks. Why not hire someone who has had success with linemen?

The first half of last year was absolutely pathetic and inexcusable. If that shit keeps up, we'll be looking for a new QB in a few years. Mobile QBs typically have short careers, but imagine how beat up Russell would be if he couldn't move?
Nothing will change until they fire Cable.

Cable recommends a bad OL be drafted early.....Schneider drafts them early for him.

Cable recommends giving a starting job to someone other than our best guy at the position (like Nowak last year) and Pete goes along with it.

I've never seen such a HORRIBLE position coach be given so much freedom.

The Hawks probably win 3-4 more games over the last 5 years with any other OL coach. His talent evaluation and his coaching ability is so bad that he costs us games.

For a team where 1 extra win can make the difference between going to the Super Bowl or not, it is astounding that they haven't replaced our worst coach.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":554n80cd said:
They were extremely wrong about Nowak and that blunder may have cost us HFA. Lewis should be the starter and let the rest battle as a back up. It's really not that hard to figure it out.

Lewis is an average starter at best. Through everyone, including Lewis, into a pile, ans let the best man win.

LolaRox

Reaction score

Cable recommends a bad OL be drafted early.....Schneider drafts them early for him.

Cable recommends giving a starting job to someone other than our best guy at the position (like Nowak last year) and Pete goes along with it.

The Hawks probably win 3-4 more games over the last 5 years with any other OL coach. His talent evaluation and his coaching ability is so bad that he costs us games.

For a team where 1 extra win can make the difference between going to the Super Bowl or not, it is astounding that they haven't replaced our worst coach.

I agree with you, he is awful. The o-line has arguably been the weakest position group on the team for multiple years despite him getting more high draft picks than any other position group.

I don't understand why so many say how great he is when there is little to no evidence to support that praise.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Justin Britt is to the OL as Kelly Jennings was to the CB position. At least Britt has size to be moved around, they couldn't do that with Jennings and it cost them. Both extreme reaches at the spots they drafted them. However Jennings was a Ruskell pick.

Reaction score
LolaRox":1v4dzeim said:

I agree with you, he is awful. The o-line has arguably been the weakest position group on the team for multiple years despite him getting more high draft picks than any other position group.

I don't understand why so many say how great he is when there is little to no evidence to support that praise.
But that running game though!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ylefq8l said:
ivotuk":2ylefq8l said:

I think that's exactly what they did this year. Finally. So we will see how it goes.
Completely agree. I think they had a fundamental change in approach to drafting o-line. Starting Ifedi at G is part of that too IMO.

A lot of us have dreamed of having an o-line that was average and we may get our wish this year.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":10r7lfxq said:
This basically just confirms Glowinksi has beat out Britt as the presumptive staring LG.

He will not start at Center. If he does, then we really learned absolutely nothing last year.

I agree he won't start, I also agree that if he does they learned nothing from the Nowak debacle. This looks to me like they want to make him a backup G/C.

HawkGA

Reaction score
LolaRox":34h7ilu8 said:
The o-line has arguably been the weakest position group on the team for multiple years despite him getting more high draft picks than any other position group.

I certainly don't mean this as a defense of Cable, but this isn't true, is it?

MysterMatt

Reaction score
McGruff":1svx2vxz said:
Largent80":1svx2vxz said:

Lewis is an average starter at best. Through everyone, including Lewis, into a pile, ans let the best man win.
So Long as the competition is about who the best center is and not who the best athlete is I am fine with this. I tend to agree with Rob, though. Lewis is clearly a competent center if not a great one. If he had started the season last year then I think we would've won at least one more game. Hindsight.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
flat out STINKS, I tell you I have enever in my life seen someone actually whiff on blocks so many times- the guy is just plain TERRIBLE, now I suppose he is supposed to be our starting center and have to THINK and make some calls before the snap???

I just don't see it, I would not be surprised if he actually is cut from the squad before the regular season (unless injuries hit us hard)

Latest posts