Britt's PFF grade for Preseason Week 3

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I see enough really good stuff when I watch Britt to know he is going to be a good player.

I see enough really bad stuff to know he is going to make some horrid mistakes and be a whipping boy on this forum, just like Sweezy.

Britt needs to get stronger in in the core, like Sweezy did. that will take care of a lot of his problems.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I have to agree with kearly about Okung. The recent additions of Bailey and Gilliam (and Garrett Scott) as depth behind Okung tell me that they are at least preparing for the possibility of life with out him. I know this team is always trying to build good depth but they have focused in on the tackle position in the last 2 years. I also think their seeming reluctance (at least initially) to try Bailey at RT is indicative of there plans. Personally, after seeing Bailey I wouldn't have a total nervous break down if we let Okung walk and move Bailey up to starting LT.

I could be reading into things that aren't there but I don't think a 2nd contract is guaranteed for Okung, especially if he has another injury riddled season.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
kearly":vnu9b55y said:
What might be more concerning is that a semi-gimpy Okung seemed to allow just as much pressure while facing a less heralded opponent.

I'd be pretty surprised if Okung gets a 2nd contract in Seattle at this point.

:13:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Britt will struggle this year, especially early and I think we'll see a lot of Zach staying in to help him. Like Brock said during the broadcast though, he will improve and by the time the stretch run arrives (division opponents!) he'll be much better.

As for Okung, the level of injuries does get frustrating and I hear that frustration from all the Hawks fans I know (my dad, brother, best buddy, etc.) I agree with several people here including kearly that he will not be extended this next offseason if Bailey shows continued development/promise.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Yxes1122":wr4y1cde said:
I have to agree with kearly about Okung. The recent additions of Bailey and Gilliam (and Garrett Scott) as depth behind Okung tell me that they are at least preparing for the possibility of life with out him. I know this team is always trying to build good depth but they have focused in on the tackle position in the last 2 years. I also think their seeming reluctance (at least initially) to try Bailey at RT is indicative of there plans. Personally, after seeing Bailey I wouldn't have a total nervous break down if we let Okung walk and move Bailey up to starting LT.

I could be reading into things that aren't there but I don't think a 2nd contract is guaranteed for Okung, especially if he has another injury riddled season.

Bailey did play RT in the last game with Eric Winston at LT. He struggled more in pass pro than I have seen before, probably adjusting to playing the position for the first time.

CANHawk

Reaction score
He didn’t allow ANY sacks or ANY hits. Sounds like he’s doing just fine for a rookie going against #1's.

Not even remotely worried. Cable will whip him into shape in no time...

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Re Okung, do we really want/need a LT playing at a $11M-12M/year level?

I don't think so... not with RW as our QB. We can get by with less.

I say spend the money elsewhere... like to re-sign/extend Avril.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2a7w179n said:
Re Okung, do we really want/need a LT playing at a $11M-12M/year level?

I don't think so... not with RW as our QB. We can get by with less.

I say spend the money elsewhere... like to re-sign/extend Avril.
Do we "need" a LT playing at an 11/12 per year level right now? No, I agree with you that at present we do not based on RW's elusiveness. However, he won't be this young and athletic forever so we will need one eventually. I agree that Okung is not that guy based on health rather than ability/level of play.

Cartire

Reaction score
Largent80":26gj4w4p said:
Rookies gonna rook.

After Walter Jones, we are all spoiled. No need to rag on Okung.

Thank you.

And Bailey is a major step down. I dont know why I keep seeing people say we'd be fine with Bailey.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cartire":qqa98kxu said:
Largent80":qqa98kxu said:
Rookies gonna rook.

After Walter Jones, we are all spoiled. No need to rag on Okung.

Thank you.

And Bailey is a major step down. I dont know why I keep seeing people say we'd be fine with Bailey.

I think your looking at it the wrong way. It really doesn't have to do with Okung himself but the money he makes and is going to want to make and whether or not its worth it.

Also, Bailey doesn't have to be the 2012 most healthiest Pro-Bowl version of Russell Okung because right now there a chance that Okung will never return to that level of performance if his toe issues looks like it will never fully recover and it will be a chronic ailment.

Bailey just has to be better than what Paul McQuistan was last year in the first half of the season. . McQuistan was more serviceable-at-best, Bailey looks to me to be at least average-at-best but has much better athleticism all-around.

And Bailey also as to be as good as or better than the rusty, toe hindered Okung that was on the field during the last half of the season.

So, yeah while Bailey is a major step down from the healthiest and best version we've of Okung (and that Okung remains to be seen just yet), Bailey could very well be a step up from what we had at the position in 2013 for much of the season. Just like Britt while not particular good yet is still likely a step up from Bowie and eventually Giacomini.

I doubt Okung will be cut or traded but at the same time it wouldn't bother me one bit if the team might be exploring those options if they think Bailey is a good enough to start and if they feel Okung is no longer part of the future plans.

But Kearly as a point, in that if Okung's contract ended last year, he probably would not be extended... so if he continues to have health issues moving forward, he probably won't be. You guys can argue the point that you just don't walk away from premium Left Tackles.... you do though, if they are becoming damaged goods and can't stay on the field and be consistent on the field. That's the best time to walk away.

If the Seahawks cut Okung this year it would save $6.48 m in 2014 and $7.28 m in 2015. Thats $13.76 m in cap relief. If they cut him 2015, they still save $5 m.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Cartire":3gnn6veu said:
kearly":3gnn6veu said:
What might be more concerning is that a semi-gimpy Okung seemed to allow just as much pressure while facing a less heralded opponent.

I want to give him more of a chance then that. He just came back and it was obvious he was not in game condition. Lets wait till Sept 4th before we make the call on Okung.

He's been out most of the offseason, and I would venture to say he's not in game shape. That being said, he's always coming back from some sort of injury. He honestly can't stay on the field, and that's a concern. I would estimate that Tackle (either side) is going to be a priority in the upcoming draft.

Britt and Sweezy seemed to get good push together and did well run blocking. Houston is pretty a damned good DE, and if nothing else, going against so many elite pass rushers this preseason is going to sharpen Britt up a bit.

The crappy thing is that we don't have much of a choice; at this point we have to let Britt take his lumps. Winston isn't any better (and much worse run blocking) and we don't have any other options. We need to keep Bailey on the left side, as it's just a matter of time before Okung folds again, IF he even makes it on the field 100%

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
One of the (many) things Pete and John have been good at is having quality depth so that they aren't beholden to any particular starter. Unfortunately the o-line is the one area of the team where our starters are thin and so is our depth.

Im sure the Hawks do not want to be "forced" to re-sign Okung, especially with his injury history, but until they improve the starting oline AND the depth chart I don't see how they can move on from okung.

We have a franchise QB to protect and I would hate to see him go down just because we wanted to clear some cap space without having a suitabke replacement.

Honestly, I wouldnt mind seeing the Hawks draft O-line with every draft pick next year. It is by far our weakest unit and our occasional o-line draft picks have been mediocre at best.

Draft 10 offensive linemen next year (trade back for some extra picks) and fix the oline once and for all.

chet380

Reaction score
Two time All-America, #6 in the draft, Pro Bowler - and we're going to cut him loose??

Tokadub

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1ft57fwf said:
Just thinking outside the box since this is the topic: if you want a surprise cut how about Russell Okung.

Cutting him would save a cool $6.48 mil against the cap this year, and give the Seahawks $7 mil to work with next year. That could mean the difference of giving Cliff Avril an extension this year.

If the Seahawks feel that Okung is damaged goods at this point and he will always be struggling to stay healthy and consistent I could see them cutting Okung especially if they feel that he isn't going to be that much of an upgrade over a healthy Bailey who is not maxed out on his potential.

Its definitely a huge risk but it is an option especially if they already know Okung isn't in the future plans.

Well if I'm gonna call you out whenever I disagree, I should at least give you props when I do agree. I had the same thought last night. Cutting Okung could be a wise choice contributing to some greater plan to allow us to keep Avril and/or Maxwell next season.

At this point I don't think Okung is worth his money for next season but we can see how things play out.

kearly

Reaction score
Cartire":1tmxakv7 said:
kearly":1tmxakv7 said:

I want to give him more of a chance then that. He just came back and it was obvious he was not in game condition. Lets wait till Sept 4th before we make the call on Okung.

I'm not basing that opinion on one game.

Okung has proven he can't stay healthy. That's extra important at OL, and extra-extra important at LT. I've been getting "post-Okung future" vibes from PC-JS since last year.

MizzouHawkGal":1tmxakv7 said:
Can you send me some of what you seen to be smoking lately? It has to be some insane suff.

So let me get this straight, speculating that the FO would be tired of a highly injury prone player at a critical position is grounds for a statement like this? I wish I had some, sounds like you need it.

Okung is a good player, but left tackle has to be a dependable position. Health is part of dependability. Okung will turn 29 during the first year of his next contract. Meaning that most of the next deal will be in his 30s, and even in his prime he's missing games or playing hurt constantly.

There's a reason Seattle has been looking at tackles early and often the last couple drafts. By the way, Okung's cap number next year is $7.28 million, and if the team wants to keep both Lynch and Avril next year... tough choices will have to be made.

Right now, Okung is the OL equivalent of Sidney Rice.

Scottemojo":1tmxakv7 said:
I see enough really good stuff when I watch Britt to know he is going to be a good player.

I see enough really bad stuff to know he is going to make some horrid mistakes and be a whipping boy on this forum, just like Sweezy.

Britt needs to get stronger in in the core, like Sweezy did. that will take care of a lot of his problems.

I'm getting "young Sweezy" vibes from Britt as well. Even when Sweezy was new and struggling, you could just kind of sense that he was on the right track. Like Sweezy, Britt seems to be putting his work in and has already seen some results from it.

Sweezy was (IIRC) the #1 OL in 2012 by Sparq. Britt was actually pretty far up the 2014 list, so they have that in common as well.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm just glad it's kosher to voice concerns about Okung's injury history on this forum finally. Everything was a freak injury, no need to worry, and never mind the large chunks of season we spend with dog dung at LT protecting the QB's blind side.

I actually hope they find a way to extend him with a contract that has some insurance built in for injury, but that may be overly optimistic. If there isn't such a way, here's hoping we can find a guy to play at 80% of Okung's level but stay on the field 100% of the time. Or just keep a few guys around who can better McQuistan's level of performance.

sc85sis

Reaction score
chet380":2q2cjxuk said:
Two time All-America, #6 in the draft, Pro Bowler - and we're going to cut him loose??
I think we'd all like nothing better than for Russell to be healthy and able to play every game for the next several seasons. So far he has yet to play a full 16 in any season, though. He's averaged 11.5 games a season so far in his career, and that's a problem.

HansGruber

Reaction score
kearly":42hjjfhi said:
Cartire":42hjjfhi said:
kearly":42hjjfhi said:

I'm not basing that opinion on one game.

Okung has proven he can't stay healthy. That's extra important at OL, and extra-extra important at LT. I've been getting "post-Okung future" vibes from PC-JS since last year.

MizzouHawkGal":42hjjfhi said:
Can you send me some of what you seen to be smoking lately? It has to be some insane suff.

So let me get this straight, speculating that the FO would be tired of a highly injury prone player at a critical position is grounds for a statement like this? I wish I had some, sounds like you need it.

Okung is a good player, but left tackle has to be a dependable position. Health is part of dependability. Okung will turn 29 during the first year of his next contract. Meaning that most of the next deal will be in his 30s, and even in his prime he's missing games or playing hurt constantly.

There's a reason Seattle has been looking at tackles early and often the last couple drafts. By the way, Okung's cap number next year is $7.28 million, and if the team wants to keep both Lynch and Avril next year... tough choices will have to be made.

Right now, Okung is the OL equivalent of Sidney Rice.

Scottemojo":42hjjfhi said:

I'm getting "young Sweezy" vibes from Britt as well. Even when Sweezy was new and struggling, you could just kind of sense that he was on the right track. Like Sweezy, Britt seems to be putting his work in and has already seen some results from it.

Sweezy was (IIRC) the #1 OL in 2012 by Sparq. Britt was actually pretty far up the 2014 list, so they have that in common as well.

Fantastic post as usual. And I agree wholeheartedly.

I listen to every single Carroll interview and pay attention. EVERY time he has brought up Okung, over the last few seasons, it's obvious that Okung is not playing up to expectations. It's obvious that Carroll is disappointed in him.

And nothing speaks louder than the lack of a contract extension. If the Seahawks had any plans to sign Okung, they would have done so this offseason, when it made the most sense. The new cap increase hasn't hit yet, you don't have to worry about your QB, and signing an extension now gives the front office some room to play with the cap and figure it out. Instead, the Seahawks sat on their hands.

They already decided to move on without Okung, Clemons, Bryant, Browner and Tate. And honestly, I don't blame them. You look at who we've managed to keep, and you're talking about playmakers and impact guys. The list above are fairly good players, but all have had issues - ranging from age to injury histories, to suspensions, to just not playing up to their name.

Schneider and Carroll have already shown that they are fearless about moving on from players that don't perform and replacing them with cheaper, younger, faster players they find in the draft, UDFA's, the CFL, free agency, etc.

I'm not worried about life after Okung. While I don't blame him for all the injuries, it's clearly taken a toll. I think you get even a mediocre tackle who can stay healthy, put them in Cable's ZBS, and we're going to be just fine. And like mentioned by others, that gives us the room to sign Wilson to an extension, get Avril signed long-term, and also Maxwell. I'd take that trade ALL DAY EVERDAY and three times on Sunday.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HansGruber":14ablvvt said:
And nothing speaks louder than the lack of a contract extension. If the Seahawks had any plans to sign Okung, they would have done so this offseason, when it made the most sense. The new cap increase hasn't hit yet, you don't have to worry about your QB, and signing an extension now gives the front office some room to play with the cap and figure it out. Instead, the Seahawks sat on their hands.

Why in God's green earth would they extend a linemen with two years left on his contract? If he gets seriously hurt, then you're stuck with his signing bonus. And of course they do have to worry about Russell Wilson's extension--- because it hasn't happened yet. Will it be for $20 million a year on a team-friendly deal like Kaepernick's or will it be some kind of megadeal in excess of that? The answer is they don't know. Therefore, signing a massive extension for a player with two years left on his contract makes no sense at this time. They need as much flexibility as they can get for next year.

If you believe this to be true, then ask yourself why didn't they extend Bobby Wagner (also two years left on his deal)?

Bottom line: If Okung rebounds from his foot injury and has another Pro Bowl year, you will all look as silly as Percy Harvin's critics now look. Okung's salary in 2015 is extremely team friendly, BTW.