Brock & Salk is back!

Barthawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":v6mzxztc said:
kearly":v6mzxztc said:
Smellyman":v6mzxztc said:
I liked Danny. When he was wrong and the "fact checker" came in, it was great. And he was quite humble and self dprecating about being fat and dumpy, butchering English and getting things wrong. He also seemed great with guest hosts.

I think the fact checker schtick got old for Danny really quick. Danny eventually lost his ability to conceal his contempt for Wassell, at one point even saying Wassell "would be missed like a canker sore." I think the fact checker friction was probably the primary instigator between those two, unless there was off the air stuff going on.

Danny is a bit self-depreciating at times. I think on his own, or in the right company, he's a decent enough guy. I agree that with guest hosts he is better, in fact Brock and Wassell made this observation as well.

But I've pretty much listened to all his radio since he started, and I've lost count of how many times he made things personal or was an ass. Wassell is almost as much of an ass as Danny, but whereas Wassell is sharp, Danny says the dumbest shit every single day, so it's a lot easier for me to put up with Wassell's shortcomings.

I don't post here much or at all really, but I am friends with some people at 710, and this post could not be further from the truth. This poster is using his own dislike of Danny and projecting it on to other people he doesn't even know. If you don't like Danny, so be it, but don't speak for people who you don't even know (clearly).

Interesting.. feel free to let your friends know that Groz would draw the most ratings at around 3am.

DJrmb

Reaction score
They were the best show on local radio before Salk left, but can they recapture the magic and be as good as they were before? I hope so!

Either way I am excited and will be listening daily!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
The above posts are interesting; I don't listen daily when it's the football offseason so I may have missed important stuff, but I was always under the impression that Danny and Wassell were just making friendly digs at each other as guys do, and not that they actually dislike each other. Wassell is the far better person to listen to, but Danny has always just struck me as a decent enough guy who is pretty bad at the talk show thing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":4q75sd8j said:
Sgt. Largent":4q75sd8j said:
On another note...........Jim Moore, why? Dude's like your drunk out of touch 60 year old uncle that just blurts out whatever stupid thought that comes into his head regardless of whether it's factual or not.

You left out "With money on the game". Personally, he is my favorite personality for exactly the reasons that you list. And Moore frequently admits that your description is accurate.

Ugg, if I want ill informed sports talk I'll call up my buddies.

I listen to sports talk for intelligent conversation and entertainment. Moore was bearable with Calabro because Kevin could play off Jim due to their common age........but he just doesn't fit with Wyman. Every show is Wyman and Grey trying to interject some researched opinions and Jim just puking up stupid opinions he thought up on the spot and then saying "I'm probably not even close to right, but that's just what I think!"

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3o4kh5kb said:
Basis4day":3o4kh5kb said:
Sgt. Largent":3o4kh5kb said:
On another note...........Jim Moore, why? Dude's like your drunk out of touch 60 year old uncle that just blurts out whatever stupid thought that comes into his head regardless of whether it's factual or not.

You left out "With money on the game". Personally, he is my favorite personality for exactly the reasons that you list. And Moore frequently admits that your description is accurate.

Ugg, if I want ill informed sports talk I'll call up my buddies.

I listen to sports talk for intelligent conversation and entertainment. Moore was bearable with Calabro because Kevin could play off Jim due to their common age........but he just doesn't fit with Wyman. Every show is Wyman and Grey trying to interject some researched opinions and Jim just puking up stupid opinions he thought up on the spot and then saying "I'm probably not even close to right, but that's just what I think!"

I understand why some don't care for him. Knowing that Jim Moore quotes Kearly on occasion makes this thread quite amusing (He is a fan of his Blog).

General Manager

Reaction score
ivotuk":9fyj52zf said:
Wow, what a great surprise! ONeill can be so annoying and his arrogant hyperbole gets out of control sometimes.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought he comes across that way.

kearly

Reaction score
Barthawk":3tajiclb said:
I think Kip is just pissed because Danny doesn't answer his questions during the Seahawks chat...

Are those on 710's site? I'm unfamiliar. That said, quite honestly if I asked Danny a sports question there are much worse outcomes than not getting an answer.

FlyHawksFly":3tajiclb said:
I don't post here much or at all really, but I am friends with some people at 710, and this post could not be further from the truth. This poster is using his own dislike of Danny and projecting it on to other people he doesn't even know. If you don't like Danny, so be it, but don't speak for people who you don't even know (clearly).

To be fair, I am only speculating. But I do remember how Wassell brought out Danny's Irish temper, which the three talked about many times during his time there, and very little since his departure. I remember Danny being positively giddy during Wassell's last two days and Wassell barely even talking during those same two days, Wassell definitely was not a happy camper those last couple days.

I remember Danny being obsessed with Wassell's twitter the first two days after the split. Wassell had some interesting tweets during that time because his producer replacement was a long time friend and co-worker of his, Colin Paisley. I'm 99% sure that Wassell was ribbing Paisley out of brotherly love, but Danny did not read the tweets in such a context, and later directed a "you'll be missed like a canker sore" at Wassell on the air in a completely dead serious, not joking tone, which elicited the most awkward reaction I've ever heard from Brock. I don't think how good or bad he is at his job impacted my observations about how he treats his co-workers.

Maybe I am wrong, but listening to those guys during their time together I find it personally hard to believe that Wassell and O'neil were not feuding, at least for a time. They have such conflicting personalities and thought processes. Wassell is a natural instigator. O'Neil is a natural powder keg. But maybe now they've gotten used to their differences. Maybe they've since manned up and gotten over it. Maybe they just needed a time out. I've had friendships like that, where we'd hate each other one day and be cool the next. Maybe that's all it was. But for a couple weeks there, I definitely think there was something going on.

As far biases go, I don't like Danny as a radio host, it's true, but if I can say anything it's that I never let personal feelings impact my observations. There have been a lot of times I scouted Seahawks players and gave them bad reviews, and when they turned it around later I was among the first to change my tune. I think there is a niche out there for Danny. When he is good I give him credit. I thought he did a great job hosting the Seahawks Town Hall. I think he did a good job with certain guest hosts. But for the most part, I thought he was a bit of a disaster with Brock. Moving to another program will probably be a good change for him.

brettb3

Reaction score
Man, that's a lot of words used to analyze and speculate on the most inane topic imaginable (inner politics of local sports radio). Who cares?

TwilightError

Reaction score
I usually listen to the show atleast a few times weekly but have not been listening for a few weeks since its the most boring part of football offseason and I'm not that interested in the Mariners. But during this time Wassell has left the show? Thats too bad. He was always very interesting, having often differing (non homer) opinions on stuff and he presented them in a very funny manner. I was looking forward to having the old team back (Brock, Salk, Wassell) but I guess the good old times never return. There was a good balance on that northwestern passive aggressiveness and straightforward eastern sports hate :D that I really enjoyed. Oh well, if not for Wassell, maybe they bring back Boy Howdy? ;)

Soon its training camp and the time to start listening again. My hopes are high on the show.

P.s. Podcasts rock! I almost feel like a seattleite driving to work in the morning with the after game Pete Carroll show on the radio, even if the drive physically takes place in Hellsinki. :)

drdiags

Reaction score
I wonder with this new time slot if Brock and Salk will be able to always catch Pete before they go off the air? A few times over the years, Pete has had to come in after 10:00 a.m. Not many, but a few times. I guess on those occasions MIchael Grey will have to handle the duty solo?

kearly

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":ektqyhaz said:
Yes, you are. And yes you are.

That is a lot of words rationalizing an incorrect opinion. I think maybe one thing you are forgetting, they are on the radio and are working for ratings. There is an element of playing things up to the audience that you are clearly missing. It is a little irresponsible to spout opinions as fact, fortunately there are some people here (Rock, thank you for your FACTUAL observation) that have the ability to see through that stuff.

Well, I did say multiple times that I was expressing an opinion and giving observations, I even said I might be wrong. Where did I say the word "fact?" Is it so wrong for people to share observations?

As far as whether I am on to something or not, I don't really think you making empty allusions to things really makes you any kind of authority figure. I've stated my observations. All I've heard from you is "nuh uh," with some statements that were bordering on personal attacks at me. Disagree if you want but try to handle it a bit better. No reason to make things personal just because you disagree.

Personally, I thought my observations were pretty fair. I made a reference to relationships I've had with friends that are similar to the dynamic Wassell and O'Neil have. I never said their feuding is ongoing or beyond repair. They got along great on the air during the past week (Danny calling in), but during that same convo they each acknowledged stubbing each others toes in the past and learning lessons from that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3ne5et7e said:
kearly":3ne5et7e said:
Barthawk":3ne5et7e said:
I think Kip is just pissed because Danny doesn't answer his questions during the Seahawks chat...

Are those on 710's site? I'm unfamiliar. That said, quite honestly if I asked Danny a sports question there are much worse outcomes than not getting an answer.

FlyHawksFly":3ne5et7e said:

To be fair, I am only speculating. (lots of words)

Maybe I am wrong (lots of words)

That is a lot of words rationalizing an incorrect opinion. I think maybe one thing you are forgetting, they are on the radio and are working for ratings. There is an element of playing things up to the audience that you are clearly missing. It is a little irresponsible to spout opinions as fact, fortunately there are some people here (Rock, thank you for your FACTUAL observation) that have the ability to see through that stuff.

Danny? Is that you?

Anyway, I disagree. There were plenty of awkward moments on the brock and danny show and oneill was a mercurial host. I think it was Wyman who called him "that moist fellow." I about busted a gut laughing.

But to me, the uncomfortable pauses and stammering moments were not "playing things up" but an actual issue with danny being a reactionary idiot. It's pretty easy to recognize something that is being "played up" for ratings or to get people talking, then there is just plain bad radio.

I'm glad Danny is gone because now I can listen to good football talk without listening to that loser go off on some unsuspecting caller just because he's in a bad mood. And most of the time he didn't use facts but instead a heavy dose of hyperbole. And I won't have to listen to him kissing butt on other ESPN hosts. Or hear him tell Brock that it bothers him that Brock is so self-deprecating. It's really not his place to call out Brock's mannerisms when it's just Huard being humble. I get the impression that it pisses danny off because he wants to brag up his relationship with Brock and would rather have him brag up his history than talk about how he was always 2nd string QB.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
HawkHack":l88sl093 said:
kearly":l88sl093 said:
Tical21":l88sl093 said:
Salk will be the second best radio host in the area. Dick Fain and Brock will have a contest for worst sidekick. Shame is that Salk is up against the best radio host in the area.

Mitch in the Morning?
Lord preserve us. Is he still on?

I knew there was a reason I didn't listen to 950 any more.

Worst. Host. Ever. Annoying, whiney, puerile, misogynistic.

I'll take Mitch over Salk any day. Mitch is kind of funny and he asks all the questions ppl are afraid to ask and isn't afraid of his guests. I also prefer KJR just can't stand Elise. One person I can't stand is Groz. Like I said on my previous post. He sucks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1filbi2w said:

With your insider's edge, why don't you enlighten us with some specifics? Give us an in depth look at how it all worked. Why did they move Wassell to begin with? Why move O'Neill? Don't just say a poster is wrong, educate us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2ethaguw said:
Is it just like old times?

I listened a bit this morning, and Salk seemed a little more subdued than I remember..........but still good stuff.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I nearly fell asleep with the baseball talk, might take some time for em to ease back into their groove honestly.

Seatown001

Reaction score
I was pretty bummed when Salk left the show for Boston and I tried really hard to like Danny but I never could get into him. I just found Danny to be too goofy and got tired of his humor and his whole rap thing. To be fair I did like him when he wasn't trying to be funny or show his rap/hip hop cred.

I was stoked to hear Salk was coming back! I was also curious at how he was viewed in Boston, I couldn't find a single nice article or thread about him, I was shocked to see he was basically run out of Boston and was hated so much.

Anyhow maybe it's just his chemistry with Brock but I'm happy he's back!