Brock & Salk is back!

chris98251

Reaction score
Woodinville is more Rural compared to a Suburb like Renton or Burien, although that whole area is getting bigger as well.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Sounders don't get air time because they don't draw ratings. Trust me, if they did, the stations would be all about it. I've talked to some folks in sports radio. They pay VERY close attention to ratings. That and how much phone call/text response different topics get. The Sounders do not attract even close as other more mainstream sports topics do.

Your reason? One, non-Sounders fans tune out. Two, you simply do not gain enough Sounders fans to replace them. Not even close. You can reference the size of Sounders crowds all you want. But the truth is Sounders crowds are a VERY VERY VERY mainstream section of the public. You got you hardcore fans singing songs, sure. But a large % of the crowds are not exactly what you'd call the demo for sports talk radio. Families, women, casual sports fans, hipster non-sports fans too cool for mainstream sports but who like "football", soccer only fans. It's the live sporting event for folks who don't obsess as much about sports as your average sports radio listener. Simply put, the venn diagram of a Sounders crowd and the type of sports fan who listens to people talk about it on the radio do not overlap much at all. Yes, I know that here are fans there who listen to sports radio and like other sports. I know there are. But nowhere near the amount you'd need to justify using valuable radio time to station programmers and sales execs.

And if you're looking for Sounders talk. 710 does actually do a weekly Sounders show. Airs on Saturday from 8 to 9 am. You can podcast it here:

http://mynorthwest.com/category/sports_ ... C%20Weekly

And Michael Grey has a Sounders podcast as well on 710. Think it's web only:

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=574&p=1096&n=SoundersCast

They're covering it. But in the current market and with the current status of the MLS, weekly podcasts or radio shows are all that's justifiable.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
It's been nice having Salk back with Brock in the morning. The only thing that pisses me off is that the station that carries the show here in the Tri-Cities still plays Mike & Mike until 9am, then switches over to 710 for the rest of the day. I've been listening to the show on the 710 app on my phone but I need to get a bluetooth speaker for work.

chris98251

Reaction score
To gain a fan base you need to see the game, people that are not soccer fans either don't understand it or have not been exposed enough on television to gain a mainstream interest and learn how the game is played. It;s not on major television, the biggest impact medium of any sport. Tell me why the last Olympics were hardly a buzz, it was moved off a Major network and on cable instead. Years of the US watching the Olympics and it being talked about died almost, I wonder if they change it back? Back to point, it needs to be mainstream marketed to be a mainstream topic. It needs to be on TV and on the major Networks, advertised, promoted etc.

Little Jimmy watched his NFL, MLB, and NBA heros growing up on television, learned the rules of the game etc, as he got older may have played and or started buying tickets.

The fan base we have is hard core or people that took their kids to soccer practice and have tried to gain an interest. Still you look around High Schools and it's the big three dominating, scare tactics about football still hasn't created a huge impact, the soccer mom and dads are still trying to find a way to get their kids to play in high school.

Thats why talk radio isn't such a great interest still in my opinion. Besides if you are going to dream and live in the US you want to play Football, Baseball, and Basketball, paychecks are not even close. You don't focus on Soccer.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
chris98251":3lu0noeh said:
To gain a fan base you need to see the game, people that are not soccer fans either don't understand it or have not been exposed enough on television to gain a mainstream interest and learn how the game is played. It;s not on major television, the biggest impact medium of any sport. Tell me why the last Olympics were hardly a buzz, it was moved off a Major network and on cable instead. Years of the US watching the Olympics and it being talked about died almost, I wonder if they change it back? Back to point, it needs to be mainstream marketed to be a mainstream topic. It needs to be on TV and on the major Networks, advertised, promoted etc.

Little Jimmy watched his NFL, MLB, and NBA heros growing up on television, learned the rules of the game etc, as he got older may have played and or started buying tickets.

The fan base we have is hard core or people that took their kids to soccer practice and have tried to gain an interest. Still you look around High Schools and it's the big three dominating, scare tactics about football still hasn't created a huge impact, the soccer mom and dads are still trying to find a way to get their kids to play in high school.

Thats why talk radio isn't such a great interest still in my opinion. Besides if you are going to dream and live in the US you want to play Football, Baseball, and Basketball, paychecks are not even close. You don't focus on Soccer.

Obviously we are each just stating our opinions, but I played soccer for 13 years growing up ...played up to college level and I can't stand watching the sport. Playing it is fun, but watching is boring and I have a very good understanding of the game. I can't stand the flopping or the pace of it.....just too slow.

SeahawksForever

Reaction score
OMG 710 is by far the most boring channel on radio. Seriously I would rather listen to re-runs of All Things Considered on NPR than hear those guys. Brock, Danny, Salk, Wyman, Mike, whoever that guy with the Groz is, they literally all sound exactly the same. At least the shows on KJR all have their own unique style. Yeah Mitch is kind of a dick but at least he has a personality. And that ridiculous, fake high-pitched falsetto laugh that Brock has when he wants the listener to know that something REALLY funny just happened in the studio but he has to kind of laugh in a whisper so he doesn't interrupt anything. Good God I'm going to go take 710 off my presets until the regular season starts.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
Can Danny please come back?

I know most people were glad about Danny leaving, but Salk is AWFUL. This week especially. I get that the Broncos, their fans and the Denver media made way too big a deal of their preseason win but my god, Salk beat it into the ground. Did he really need to keep playing the "Broncos Preseason Super Bowl Shuffle" and the Peyton Manning soundbite (the one where he talks about going to the silent count after the snap went over his head in the Super Bowl) over and over and over? He is so whiny, completely overreacts to anything he perceives as negative (Marshawn leaving the field early) and his sarcastic "attempts" at humor fall completely flat.

I know I could just not listen, but I like Brock for the most part and I want to listen to Hawks coverage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DYLcurry59":3rg1a1qj said:

I know most people were glad about Danny leaving, but Salk is AWFUL. This week especially. I get that the Broncos, their fans and the Denver media made way too big a deal of their preseason win but my god, Salk beat it into the ground. Did he really need to keep playing the "Broncos Preseason Super Bowl Shuffle" and the Peyton Manning soundbite (the one where he talks about going to the silent count after the snap went over his head in the Super Bowl) over and over and over? He is so whiny, completely overreacts to anything he perceives as negative (Marshawn leaving the field early) and his sarcastic "attempts" at humor fall completely flat.

I know I could just not listen, but I like Brock for the most part and I want to listen to Hawks coverage.

LOL.

I'm the opposite. I love Salk's sardonic sense of humor and I find Brock vanilla and boring. In fact the only time Brock even shows a personality is when Salk goads it out of him.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DYLcurry59":2uoo9rk8 said:

The last two weeks haven't been the best Mike Salk. Generally i enjoy him, but not his approach recently. He's trying too hard to be the over the top typical east coast sports guy (which he failed at in Boston last year) and why hes back in the first place. Hes much better when he's even keeled.

Now if someone could just get Brock to stop saying the word, "conversation" every five seconds. It's talk radio. We know you're having a conversation.

(Probably about as much chance as keeping John Clayton from saying "well let's put it this way... but also too" and stop letting Irish Menky call in).

kearly

Reaction score
Salk has been annoying in his second stint, I would agree with that. He gets way too obsessed with stuff that just doesn't matter, for example Sherman not speaking to the press after the SD loss. Like Danny, he's a journalism major first, sports fan second, and that causes him to get perturbed over issues that the casual fanbase can't connect with.

He occasionally voices outright stupid opinions too, but that kind of comes with the territory in sports talk. One of the reasons I appreciate Brock is that he has a politician's sense for avoiding stupid statements. It would be nice if some of that rubbed off on Salk, but whatever.

Salk has a bad habit of shouting over Brock or callers, makes it tough to listen sometimes. He also hogs the mic, I would guess that at least 70% of the Brock and Salk show is Salk talking. But otherwise, I think he has a good dynamic with Brock. I do think the show would be a lot better if it was Brock talking more, but overall it's hard to complain too much.

They could do better than Salk, but it wouldn't be easy to find that guy who's an improvement over Salk while still having on air-talent and a big enough personality. Salk isn't perfect, but he's a huge upgrade over Danny, IMO.

I think Danny needs his own show. He's proven himself to be a good host, but he doesn't always play well with others. When he was hosting alone or had a temporary guest host he was much improved, something both the producers and callers noticed.

Largent80

Reaction score
Salk has stunk this week. Almost like when Danny was at his worst. I have been off work and unfortunately listened.

He stinks this week, and actually, the show has stunk all week as well.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Gotta agree with the "Salk hate" here. Its like he is trying to make some sort of point after being run out of his native Boston. He used to be better, less aggressive and less arrogant. Also it seems that he feels so bad after missing the Seahawks super bowl run in Seattle that he is trying to build a similar bandwagon around the Mariners, so this time he can be around when it happens... Which is fine but he is forcing it in an embarrassing manner.

I hate it when Salk makes statements like "talking o-line is not interesting radio, talking QBs is interesting". Well, anyone who follows even a little football has a somewhat educated opinion about starting QBs in the NFL. I, for one, really listen to these shows to gain understanding on the more in-depth stuff, like the different aspects of o-line play. And Brock along with many guests in the show could provide that.

Still, he is a good host. Used to be maybe even the best. Maybe in time he will find peace with his failure in Boston and come back to his old self, when he didn't need to have an edgy besserwisser opinion about every single thing and stick by it to the grave.

Meanwhile, Brock is better than ever. Great analysis, less bible reading group mentality.