Brock & Salk is back!

ivotuk

Reaction score

Melencause

Reaction score
HawkHack":256ff00t said:
kearly":256ff00t said:
Tical21":256ff00t said:
Salk will be the second best radio host in the area. Dick Fain and Brock will have a contest for worst sidekick. Shame is that Salk is up against the best radio host in the area.

Mitch in the Morning?
Lord preserve us. Is he still on?

I knew there was a reason I didn't listen to 950 any more.

Worst. Host. Ever. Annoying, whiney, puerile, misogynistic.

100% This ^^ Mitch is the worst thing I've ever heard in the morning.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Melencause":25fd3ip0 said:
HawkHack":25fd3ip0 said:
kearly":25fd3ip0 said:
Tical21":25fd3ip0 said:
Salk will be the second best radio host in the area. Dick Fain and Brock will have a contest for worst sidekick. Shame is that Salk is up against the best radio host in the area.

Mitch in the Morning?
Lord preserve us. Is he still on?

I knew there was a reason I didn't listen to 950 any more.

Worst. Host. Ever. Annoying, whiney, puerile, misogynistic.

100% This ^^ Mitch is the worst thing I've ever heard in the morning.
Mitch is horrible and boring. He takes 8 years to get to a point and then repeats himself. His only redeeming quality is he is an excellent interviewer who does his homework, but that's all he does well.

Its nice to have another option in that time slot, something 710 should have done from the beginning!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
KJR is an abortion, IMO.

710 is great any time Brock or Salk is talking, and I enjoy Michael Grey. I can live with Jim Moore's schtick. I enjoy Tom Wassell.

Danny O'Neil sucks, and I'll type that here even if Danny...I mean FlyHawksFly...is here being as defensive and petulant on this message board as he is on air.

I wish 710 would cover the Sounders more extensively. They are a local team in a growing league that more and more people seem to care about, after all.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":309kzbq8 said:
I wish 710 would cover the Sounders more extensively. They are a local team in a growing league that more and more people seem to care about, after all.

This, HELL YES, THIS!

I've been trying to learn as much about soccer as I can, I'm really that guy just watching and the only thing I understand is scoring, and a few rules.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I actually think one of the problems with Brock and Danny is that Danny was trying too hard to be the funny one to make up for Brock's more straight-man, analytical personality. I think Danny will be better with Jim Moore because Jim can do the "funny" guy role better than him, and Danny can take on a more serious role on that show. I agree that I found Danny not very good with Brock, but a better match with some of the other 710 talent.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Seatown001":3qr30vn9 said:
I was stoked to hear Salk was coming back! I was also curious at how he was viewed in Boston, I couldn't find a single nice article or thread about him, I was shocked to see he was basically run out of Boston and was hated so much.

You could clearly hear this in the first hour as Salk did everything he could to avoid talking about him being back in the show and the reasons behind it... I'm a bit disappointed. I thought he could have made fun of himself using that stuff...

Frasier Crane never went back to Boston, and neither should have Mike Salk! :D

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I really enjoyed having Salk back. Top quality radio right there. As someone who listens to pretty much all of their podcasts, my days have changed fkr the better.

CalgaryHawk":1t2gtx6d said:
I actually think one of the problems with Brock and Danny is that Danny was trying too hard to be the funny one to make up for Brock's more straight-man, analytical personality. I think Danny will be better with Jim Moore because Jim can do the "funny" guy role better than him, and Danny can take on a more serious role on that show. I agree that I found Danny not very good with Brock, but a better match with some of the other 710 talent.

I agree with this. He's much better when not with Brock.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1ug61mws said:

Radio programming has to do with a three things:

1. Program directors
2. Personalities
3. Station obligations

I'm a HUGE Sounders fan, season ticket holder since day #1, and I was naive at first when we got a soccer team..........I thought the staions would jump all over covering the Sounders because the NW is such a huge soccer area.

But then I found out how radio works. The Sounders are not broadcast on 950 or 710, so neither station is obligated to make time to cover the team in order to pimp their ratings. NONE of the radio personalities or program managers on either station are into soccer........and some like Mitch are flat out soccer haters.

Fortunately a couple of the personalities like Softy, Groz, Gasman (before he left) have come around after attending matches for the past couple of years. But it's still just the once or twice a week for 10 minute segment with Sigi. IMO it's unforgivable to have 40k at matches and not commit more programming time to cater to the huge Sounder fanbase in Seattle more than this.

Basis4day

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3b77dmrb said:
kearly":3b77dmrb said:
FlyHawksFly":3b77dmrb said:
Yes, you are. And yes you are.

That is a lot of words rationalizing an incorrect opinion. I think maybe one thing you are forgetting, they are on the radio and are working for ratings. There is an element of playing things up to the audience that you are clearly missing. It is a little irresponsible to spout opinions as fact, fortunately there are some people here (Rock, thank you for your FACTUAL observation) that have the ability to see through that stuff.

Well, I did say multiple times that I was expressing an opinion and giving observations, I even said I might be wrong. Where did I say the word "fact?" Is it so wrong for people to share observations?

As far as whether I am on to something or not, I don't really think you making empty allusions to things really makes you any kind of authority figure. I've stated my observations. All I've heard from you is "nuh uh," with some statements that were bordering on personal attacks at me. Disagree if you want but try to handle it a bit better. No reason to make things personal just because you disagree.

Personally, I thought my observations were pretty fair. I made a reference to relationships I've had with friends that are similar to the dynamic Wassell and O'Neil have. I never said their feuding is ongoing or beyond repair. They got along great on the air during the past week (Danny calling in), but during that same convo they each acknowledged stubbing each others toes in the past and learning lessons from that.

Bordering on personal attacks? At what point did I even venture close to that line? Listen, you can make up whatever storyline you want, what I am telling you is, you are wrong. You are taking a small percentage of their interaction and extrapolating the overall composure from it. There is a huge difference between "stubbing toes" and the wild accusations of them hating each other. I think the burden of proof in this situation should be much more than "I heard tension on the radio, they must be mortal enemies." Yes I could give you specific examples of who they are and why they don't hate each other, and are in fact good friend, but that would be betraying the trust I have my friends. Besides, when taking a stand that two people, you have clearly never met, hate each other I think the burden of proof should be a bit more than some half assed psychotherapy over the airwaves.

Since Wassell is producing Danny, Dave, and Moore I think FlyHawksFly's explanation of 710 is closer to reality.

Kearly, Moore quotes/references you from time to time. Hell, if you wrote Moore they might have you on the show.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1bcvwknx said:
Smelly McUgly":1bcvwknx said:

Radio programming has to do with a three things:

1. Program directors
2. Personalities
3. Station obligations

I'm a HUGE Sounders fan, season ticket holder since day #1, and I was naive at first when we got a soccer team..........I thought the staions would jump all over covering the Sounders because the NW is such a huge soccer area.

But then I found out how radio works. The Sounders are not broadcast on 950 or 710, so neither station is obligated to make time to cover the team in order to pimp their ratings. NONE of the radio personalities or program managers on either station are into soccer........and some like Mitch are flat out soccer haters.

Fortunately a couple of the personalities like Softy, Groz, Gasman (before he left) have come around after attending matches for the past couple of years. But it's still just the once or twice a week for 10 minute segment with Sigi. IMO it's unforgivable to have 40k at matches and not commit more programming time to cater to the huge Sounder fanbase in Seattle more than this.
The problem is that the majority of the soccer fans aren't interested in hearing about the other sports, and the majority of the rest of the fans aren't interested in soccer. Most of the diehard Seahawks fans I know would turn the dial as soon as a soccer guest came on, but wouldn't for a baseball or even basketball guest. Cater to the soccer fanbase and risk alienating your longtime core demographic?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":1gcv0os6 said:
The problem is that the majority of the soccer fans aren't interested in hearing about the other sports, and the majority of the rest of the fans aren't interested in soccer. Most of the diehard Seahawks fans I know would turn the dial as soon as a soccer guest came on, but wouldn't for a baseball or even basketball guest. Cater to the soccer fanbase and risk alienating your longtime core demographic?

Since I AM a die hard Sounders fan, I can tell you you're wrong. MOST Sounders fans also love other sports, which is why I post on this forum as well as the Sounders forums, I love my Hawks too.

We all grew up loving our Hawks, Mariners and Sonics...........we just happen to love the sport of soccer as well. So no, Sounders fans aren't just made up of snobby soccer fans that don't like other sports. That's a gross misconception.

As far as non soccer fans turning the station, it can't be any worse than most of us turning the station when we hear about an upcoming segment interview with the pitching coach of the M's, or national basketball analyst talking about Lebron.

IMO if a sport is popular, it will garner the ratings. This is more of a "as a station manager/personality we don't care about soccer, so we don't want to talk about it." I guarantee you if there were 3-4 more segments per week dedicated to the Sounders, fans of the team would search that out and ratings would be good.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17254cdu said:
Tical21":17254cdu said:

Since I AM a die hard Sounders fan, I can tell you you're wrong. MOST Sounders fans also love other sports, which is why I post on this forum as well as the Sounders forums, I love my Hawks too.

We all grew up loving our Hawks, Mariners and Sonics...........we just happen to love the sport of soccer as well. So no, Sounders fans aren't just made up of snobby soccer fans that don't like other sports. That's a gross misconception.

As far as non soccer fans turning the station, it can't be any worse than most of us turning the station when we hear about an upcoming segment interview with the pitching coach of the M's, or national basketball analyst talking about Lebron.

IMO if a sport is popular, it will garner the ratings. This is more of a "as a station manager/personality we don't care about soccer, so we don't want to talk about it." I guarantee you if there were 3-4 more segments per week dedicated to the Sounders, fans of the team would search that out and ratings would be good.
And the rest of us would start looking for choices to fill our day. I know you won't agree, but the vast majority of the current demographic would not think of turning the dial when the M's pitching coach comes on or when they were going to talk about the Lebron story. That's what we're into.

I know a ton of hardcore soccer and Sounders fans. I grew up in a soccer area. While everybody out here is in love with the Seahawks, those guys wouldn't ever listen to anything baseball or basketball related, ever. You see a little crossover, but not a lot. Those guys would probably tune in to a Sounders segment, but then would quickly turn the dial once it ended. Are those numbers high enough to risk alienating your demographic? I don't have much against soccer. Well, that may be a lie. However, if you want to alienate me, talk soccer. Hopefully I'll come back when the segment is over.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":1wupw58w said:
And the rest of us would start looking for choices to fill our day.

The rest of who?

That's my point. 40k fans per match + highest TV ratings of any MLS team = enough soccer/sports fans to garner radio ratings.

Maybe you and others aren't into it, but there would be enough to warrant more Sounders programming. That's all I'm trying to say. We are a well rounded sports town, and our sports radio should reflect that.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lcey47vr said:
Tical21":lcey47vr said:
And the rest of us would start looking for choices to fill our day.

The rest of who?

That's my point. 40k fans per match + highest TV ratings of any MLS team = enough soccer/sports fans to garner radio ratings.

Maybe you and others aren't into it, but there would be enough to warrant more Sounders programming. That's all I'm trying to say. We are a well rounded sports town, and our sports radio should reflect that.

Hate to be a "me too" guy, but I most certainly skip any Sounders/Soccer talk when I'm listening to the podcasts. I have nothing against the Sounders, and I've even attended a couple matches, but the game simply isn't interesting to me the way football is. Though I agree that there's a pocket of superfans that looks to be growing, I would tend to agree with the assessment that the majority of the region would not care to hear Sounder talk in any way, shape, or form. Again, that's just my 2 cents, and sorry to help hijack the topic.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I'd like to hear about Sounders, although Seahawks is the only reason I listen to the shows and I often stop listening when the Mariners stuff starts. Baseball is a fun game to watch at the stadium but the conversation around it (or watching it from TV) just does not appear as interesting at all for me.

But I dont think B&S would have much to say about Sounders. It would take people who understand the sport. Even baseball talk seems kind of forced from Brock, who obviously is a spectacular football commentator.

Seatown001

Reaction score
I hate to pile on but I would also change the channel if they started a lot of sounders talk ;(

I think it's great the sounders have such awesome local support and I hope they do great but for me soccer is the most boring sport ever created and I've given some serious effort to like it. My wife is from Brazil and I had to watch every game of the World Cup (until Brazil got spanked anyway) and it was pure torture for me.

So yeah, wish em all the best as long as I don't have to hear about it.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
And I cut the radio off for NBA talk and any talk of golf, but our personal preferences are not quite the point.

The argument is that there are not enough soccer fans that would listen to the station to make up for the loss of listeners that would cut off the radio when the soccer talk started. I don't even know how anyone here can quantify that outside of guesswork, but I was just saying what I personally want to hear before it turned into a referendum on AM sports listeners and what they like.

I see a ton of Sounders gear here on the Eastside, so I know that it isn't just hipster Seattle-ites that want to see or hear or watch or talk about soccer, but beyond that, I have no idea how many of those guys listen to AM sports radio.

I will say that it's a shame that there is more talk about a major league in which we don't even have a team than there is about a major league in which we do.

Tical21

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3e33gku2 said:
And I cut the radio off for NBA talk and any talk of golf, but our personal preferences are not quite the point.

I see a ton of Sounders gear here on the Eastside, so I know that it isn't just hipster Seattle-ites that want to see or hear or watch or talk about soccer, but beyond that, I have no idea how many of those guys listen to AM sports radio.

Isn't the Eastside basically just composed of ex-hipster Seattle-ites?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Tical21":1octovas said:
Smelly McUgly":1octovas said:

Isn't the Eastside basically just composed of ex-hipster Seattle-ites?

Not really. Bellevue is full of soulless yuppies. Renton is full of families and immigrants from Mexico and Africa. Woodinville is full of your typical middle Americans. Etc., etc. IMO, the suburbs here are way more varied and diverse than most places that I've lived.