Broncos/Pats

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Why on the world would you elect to give the other team the ball first? Thats just plain dumb.

I can understand starting the game defending but not when you might not even get the chance to get the ball.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Interesting choice for pats, but peytons arm will tire and they will get it back with great field position.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Belicheck understands what I was saying on the GB/Minn thread about it being better with the new rules to not take the kickoff. Plus, with the wind direction being so important, it makes even more sense.

KK84

Reaction score
I actually like the call from Bill. Taking the wind might end up being the difference.

KK84

Reaction score
Pats run d with no wilfork is hilariously bad. Moreno approaching a 200 yd day.……

Natethegreat

Reaction score
It sure would have had Denver scored a touchdown. He would have been roasted for it by everyone. I still think its the wrong choice in any overtime.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2bycsov5 said:
Belicheck understands what I was saying on the GB/Minn thread about it being better with the new rules to not take the kickoff. Plus, with the wind direction being so important, it makes even more sense.

Yea, saw that post and agree.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1wlrcanm said:
Why on the world would you elect to give the other team the ball first? Thats just plain dumb.

I can understand starting the game defending but not when you might not even get the chance to get the ball.

He thinks they can keep Denver out of the end zone and make it very difficult to get a FG. and for the entire OT, he has an opportunity to kick a long FG that Denver doesn't

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Football Outsiders did a study showing that since the OT rules have changed, the team that takes the kick tends to lose. They tend to get the ball near their own 20, have to punt and thus give the other team the ball in better field position. If they get a FG, then it's an even trade. The times the team to get the kick actually scores a TD is far less than the times they have to punt and the other team gets the short field.

In this game, field position was a push but the Broncos didn't score so it's advantage NE.

KK84

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":4rw6fyvr said:
Natethegreat":4rw6fyvr said:

He thinks they can keep Denver out of the end zone and make it very difficult to get a FG. and for the entire OT, he has an opportunity to kick a long FG that Denver doesn't

Yep. I normally agree that you take the ball in OT. However, 20 mph winds blowing straight down the field is too big a factor to ignore.