Browner 1 year suspension is for substance abuse per NFL

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":1lteob6q said:
HansGruber":1lteob6q said:
It's sad to see so many fans turning on him like this.

You'd think after all he's done to help pave the path to a championship for our Seahawks, he'd have at least a little collateral with every Seahawks fan. Actually, he probably does have said collateral, but a mountain of good will can vanish when emotions take over I suppose.

Also, I find the sanctimony in this thread pretty strange. The guy smoked weed. BFD. If he smoked weed and the league decided to give him a 1 game suspension, what would the reaction be? People are reacting to the punishment, not the crime. And I know the rules, but regardless, the punishment doesn't fit the crime, IMO.

Of course, Browner is an idiot. Selfish? Nah. I think idiocy sufficiently explains things. Idiots do stupid things because they don't even think 1 step ahead. Should it surprise anyone that Browner is an idiot? If you've heard him talk, it shouldn't. Irvin's the same story.

Exactly. My stand is that too many fans here... all they care about is winning a damn championship and they will hang anyone from player to coach out to dry if their expectations are not met or if anyone gets in the way and mucks it up.

Ill say what I've said before... I've never seen so much trash talk, blame, and critical judgements about our own players with such disregard and disrespect to what these players have to go through physically and mentally just to play a game.

And I felt this way long before Browner or Thurmond moronically cheech and chonging it up.

In a lot of ways, the 12th man is a great fan base but I just think as whole collective, we are just too smart for own good. Not calling anyone out but the Angry Mob, Hate Parade routine we go through is disgusting to see... especially when the team in the crosshairs as been one of the best in the NFLall season long.

Its never enough for anybody to be 10-1 and enjoy the show. Not here.

plyka

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":15avijk1 said:
Awful lot of high horses telling others to get off theirs.

I wish just one of your posts was coherent and well thought out.

plyka

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2v1rda8n said:
Virtually everyone would be behind and support Browner if this was his first suspension of any kind. #fact

Its his first suspension for recreational drugs, or for non-ped drugs. And the guy is losing his career over it and his o ly chance to make thebig bucks. It is quite the injustice especially as the NFL could care less about much more serious crimes. What happened to rothlesbergrr and his rape? Charges dropped because he paid the girl off? Dwayne Bowe got a DUI just last week and the police found weed on his car. Where is his suspension? Instead browner loses his entire career because of one test? Are you freakin kissing me?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Y'all can hate all you want. That's your right. I'll always remember how he helped shape the identity of this team and all the meaningful plays he made over the past three years. Not ready to close the book on him yet either.

I'll just leave it at that. And this...

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 22m
in honor of Brandon Browner- a few of my favorite Browner plays...in no rank or order and non-exhaustive...

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 25m
...body slamming Tavon Austin on a bubble screen...body slamming Jerome Simpson...body slamming Greg Jennings...

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 22m
...running down Adrian and tackling Adrian at the 1 yard line...hitting that Carolina WR at the 1 yard line in 2012...

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 20m
...destroying 3 Cardinals on special teams...hitting Wes Welker...hitting Calvin Johnson...pass defense end of STL game 2013...pick 6 NYG...

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 17m
...stripping DeAngelo and recovery in 2H in Carolina as he played Cam & DeAngelo option perfectly...

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 15m
...interception against STL vs Bradford where he pins the ball against his helmet in 2011...

OrFan

Reaction score
Was Browner a good player for us? Yes.
Will I miss him? Yes.
Am I grateful for how much he helped us get to where we are? Yes.
Do I feel sorry for him because he got caught? No.

Do you guys feel bad for everyone else who gets fired, or careers get ended for coming up positive one single time? He has had multiple chances. Every place I have been employed since I became an adult, tests the employees on a regular basis. If you test positive one time you are gone, no questions asked, no special little programs to enter, no second chances at all, you are fired.
Why should these overpaid, pampered babies who do for a living what most of us can only dream of, be any different? Just because there are more dollar signs involved with their paycheck doesn't mean squat. At least he made enough that he shouldn't have to worry about losing his house or putting food on the table like real people do when they screw up.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
OrFan":jrlle43r said:
Why should these overpaid, pampered babies who do for a living what most of us can only dream of, be any different? Just because there are more dollar signs involved with their paycheck doesn't mean squat. At least he made enough that he shouldn't have to worry about losing his house or putting food on the table like real people do when they screw up.

Just want to point out that Browner is making around $750,000 this year. This is with his "raise." He will lose 1/4 of that if the suspension is upheld. He was making league minimum before that. I understand this is still a huge amount of money to an average joe, but you lose half of that in taxes and the earning window for an NFL player is extremely short. My guess is that what he's earned in the NFL isn't exactly going to set him up for the rest of his life.

Not really trying to argue you overall point, but this notion that all NFL players are obscenely rich and pampered is off-base.

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
OrFan":3fw28glb said:
Do I feel sorry for him because he got caught?

Do you guys feel bad for everyone else who gets fired, or careers get ended for coming up positive one single time?

Yes I feel sorry for him and anyone that has lost their job for failed urine analysis, provided it wasn't flagrant like operating a motor vehicle or dangerous equipment while wasted.

The government should not be telling consenting adults what we can and can not do with our own bodies. Short of suicidal ideation, no authority should have that much control over anybody. From football players to janitors.

samwize77

Reaction score
Like Pete, I'm disappointed in the whole situation. Good, bad or otherwise, these guys made their own bed. Just like other players around the league for their infractions. Be them DUI's, domestic violence or whatever. It hardly seems fair that sometimes the punishment doesn't equal the crime, especially from a case to case perspective. I don't know what the future holds for these guys, and I'm not going to judge them to much, after all, we're all human. My advice to them is this: Off the field watch your own back, because nobody is going to do it for you. But it is what it is..and for now its time to move on and get ready for the Saints.
To me, in the end, theres going to be a drop off in our D, but not that much. Maxwell and Lane will handle this just like last year. I'm more concerned about depth in that position.
And after we win the Super Owl how many of us are really going to care about all this?

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
samwize77":pc1fn55n said:
And after we win the Super Owl how many of us are really going to care about all this?

This isn't about Browner really, this could happen to anyone. One day you or I could lose our NFL gigs over the same issue. This is about ALL Americans. :(

hawk45

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":kdmcq1q1 said:
^^^
Pretty much this.

I do like and remember what Browner has done for the team. But if the 1 year suspension is legit, then Browner knew what he was risking and risked it anyways.

If a normal joe fails to meet job drug testing requirements he or she gets fired. Nobody sits around remembering all the good stuff we did, we just lose our job. That's how life works when you're not a privileged athlete. It doesn't matter how "fair" it is or if you were "just smoking weed, what's the big deal?"

When you know the consequences and do it anyways it is both stupid and selfish. It is selfish by definition, you're choosing personal short term pleasure against your own long-term self-interests and the long-term self-interests of the team.

Stupid and selfish are not evil, and I don't hate Browner for his actions, but to deny that either of those adjectives apply is to lack understanding of the dictionary definition of the words.

Greenhell

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":xacv5uqw said:
Virtually everyone would be behind and support Browner if this was his first suspension of any kind. #fact

#truth

McGruff

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ccjbhc6 said:
OrFan":3ccjbhc6 said:

Just want to point out that Browner is making around $750,000 this year. This is with his "raise." He will lose 1/4 of that if the suspension is upheld. He was making league minimum before that. I understand this is still a huge amount of money to an average joe, but you lose half of that in taxes and the earning window for an NFL player is extremely short. My guess is that what he's earned in the NFL isn't exactly going to set him up for the rest of his life.

Not really trying to argue you overall point, but this notion that all NFL players are obscenely rich and pampered is off-base.

At NFL minimum an NFL player is in the top .05% and wage earners in the world. That mean he's richer than 99.95% of the world's population.

I think that makes me obscenely rich.

And they are pampered. Even more so than others making similar money. Because not only are they wealthy, they are famous and athletic. They are wealthy and still don't have to pay for much of what they get, because fame has its perks.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":350kguij said:
plyka":350kguij said:
Tech Worlds":350kguij said:

I wish just one of your posts was coherent and well thought out.

Oh get off yer high horse.

And you're complaining about post padding in a different thread? Either contribute or don't post anything.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2013/11/wher ... owner.html

- Browner's best case scenario is a four-game suspension
It sounds as if he is challenging the notion that missing a test while in the CFL should not count as a violation, and his new violation should be treated as his second. That would still mean a four-game suspension. The reason I am not closer to 100% confident in this is that I do not know the full breadth of possible outcomes. It may be possible that the whole test is thrown out because he was only being tested due to being in STAGE 3, and he was only in STAGE 3 because he missed tests while in the CFL.

- Players can serve suspensions while injured
This would mean that if Browner won his appeal, but still had to serve a four-game suspension, he could serve it with Thurmond, and still be available for the playoffs if he was healthy and the Seahawks wanted him.

IN SUMMARY
Browner has not been suspended. He is waiting for the outcome of his appeal, with the hope that either his suspension is completely lifted or it is a four-game duration that could be served while he is injured the next four games. His defense is that he is being unfairly disciplined as a STAGE 3 offender due to missed NFL tests while he was in the CFL.