Browner 1 year suspension is for substance abuse per NFL

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Greenhell":25xauxpl said:
Bigpumpkin":25xauxpl said:
Greenhell":25xauxpl said:
Tech Worlds":25xauxpl said:
The point still remains had he not drugged up this season he would not be in this pickle.

Possibly but we don't know about priors. Did he, in fact, fail or was simply not aware or could not show up to take the test during the time he wasn't in the NFL?

Are you implying that the NFL did not try to contact him (or his agent) and remind him that he was "required" to still test? The NFL have a host of attorneys that advise them of every requirement of the player's agreement( CBA).

I'm not implying anything. Maybe he was/wasn't informed. Who's to say? The only ones who know are Browner and the NFL. And neither are saying a word right now regarding this new info.

However, I suspect that both sides are losing a lot of sleep!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":20wrtohx said:
Greenhell":20wrtohx said:
Bigpumpkin":20wrtohx said:
Greenhell":20wrtohx said:
Tech Worlds said:
The point still remains had he not drugged up this season he would not be in this pickle.

Possibly but we don't know about priors. Did he, in fact, fail or was simply not aware or could not show up to take the test during the time he wasn't in the NFL?

Are you implying that the NFL did not try to contact him (or his agent) and remind him that he was "required" to still test? The NFL have a host of attorneys that advise them of every requirement of the player's agreement( CBA).

I'm not implying anything. Maybe he was/wasn't informed. Who's to say? The only ones who know are Browner and the NFL. And neither are saying a word right now regarding this new info.

However, I suspect that both sides are losing a lot of sleep!

Any reason why you post in yellow? I have to quote every post type just to read it lol

Greenhell

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":cnptx8ta said:
BullHawk33":cnptx8ta said:
Browner would have known he was in Stage 3 and how tight those protocols are.

Donovan McNabb didn't even know the rules of overtime or that games could end in a tie. Work out, study your position, work out some more, practice, go to meetings, study tape, oh, and don't forget to bone up on obscure league rules involving the punishment of substance abuse violators who took a hiatus to the CFL during their careers.

Sure, I think everyone agrees it was boneheaded to smoke a joint, or whatever he did to violate rules. Plenty of folks go far longer periods not smoking joints because their job or career demands it, but to castigate him over not knowing the fine print of obscure rules clauses is a bit harsh, don't you think? And to shrug it off 'cause he should have known the rules anyways is about as fair as shrugging off incarceration of someone for a speeding ticket because they shouldn't have been speeding in the first place.

A lotta high horses around here. A lot of puritan grannies for being the Pacific Northwest.

Thank you.

kearly

Reaction score
HansGruber":3rrt1lvd said:
It's sad to see so many fans turning on him like this.

You'd think after all he's done to help pave the path to a championship for our Seahawks, he'd have at least a little collateral with every Seahawks fan. Actually, he probably does have said collateral, but a mountain of good will can vanish when emotions take over I suppose.

Also, I find the sanctimony in this thread pretty strange. The guy smoked weed. BFD. If he smoked weed and the league decided to give him a 1 game suspension, what would the reaction be? People are reacting to the punishment, not the crime. And I know the rules, but regardless, the punishment doesn't fit the crime, IMO.

Of course, Browner is an idiot. Selfish? Nah. I think idiocy sufficiently explains things. Idiots do stupid things because they don't even think 1 step ahead. Should it surprise anyone that Browner is an idiot? If you've heard him talk, it shouldn't. Irvin's the same story.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin retweeted the PFT article BTW. Safe to say this might be the basis for Browner's appeal.

FWIW, if this was Browner's first "true" failed substance-abuse test, then he wouldn't be suspended for any games under normal circumstances. You don't get the 4-6 game suspension until Stage 2 of the program.

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3u4gm1va said:
Doug Baldwin retweeted the PFT article BTW. Safe to say this might be the basis for Browner's appeal.

FWIW, if this was Browner's first "true" failed substance-abuse test, then he wouldn't be suspended for any games under normal circumstances. You don't get the 4-6 game suspension until Stage 2 of the program.

If its in the CBA, he can very well be suspended for it.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1jbl7mc1 said:

It was retweeted by Browner's agent too

DavidSeven

Reaction score
VancitySeahawk":29e29iyu said:
DavidSeven":29e29iyu said:

If its in the CBA, he can very well be suspended for it.

Huh? I'm saying if not for the obscure CFL rule, he wouldn't ordinarily be suspended for a first failed test. That's according to the CBA. Not saying he'll win his appeal since the CFL rule is in play. (I know it's not called the "CFL rule.")

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1e6kxfkd said:
Awful lot of high horses telling others to get off theirs.
Yeah, how dare they be upset with a guy that was busted for PEDs, then a year later flushed his career down the toilet for some recreational drugs, negatively impacting a team many of us have been following for more of our lives.

Let's make sure we impugn people that speak poorly of guys that drive drunk and stuff, too!

Greenhell

Reaction score
kearly":206g8u1c said:
HansGruber":206g8u1c said:
It's sad to see so many fans turning on him like this.

You'd think after all he's done to help pave the path to a championship for our Seahawks, he'd have at least a little collateral with every Seahawks fan. Actually, he probably does have said collateral, but a mountain of good will can vanish when emotions take over I suppose.

Also, I find the sanctimony in this thread pretty strange. The guy smoked weed. BFD. If he smoked weed and the league decided to give him a 1 game suspension, what would the reaction be? People are reacting to the punishment, not the crime. And I know the rules, but regardless, the punishment doesn't fit the crime, IMO.

Of course, Browner is an idiot. Selfish? Nah. I think idiocy sufficiently explains things. Idiots do stupid things because they don't even think 1 step ahead. Should it surprise anyone that Browner is an idiot? If you've heard him talk, it shouldn't. Irvin's the same story.

I'll agree. Browner is at a loss for words and it was painful to see after the Cards game. He just doesn't come across as articulate as some of the other players.

GCrow

Reaction score
Horses so high you'd think Golden Tate was just flagged for taunting.

plyka

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":5207bqb9 said:
A lot of these guys live in the moment and don't understand that playing in the NFL is a privilege and will only last for so long. They take it all for granted until something crazy like this happens, but that pretty much happens in life too. Gotta always do things to the fullest.

I don't k.ow what to make of this post. Its not a privilege, no one is doing them any favors. Its not like me helping you move and I tell you I'm doing this out of the kindness of my heart. They play because their employers make money on them playing. That's the entire story. Its like the job you have, you have it because your employer makes money employing you (assuming the government is not somehow forcing your employer or is not your employer). Its not a privilege you are granted or a favors given to you. Its something you earn or are naturally worth.

plyka

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3eqok25a said:
plyka":3eqok25a said:
BamKam":3eqok25a said:
5280Hawk":3eqok25a said:
I dont think we see the guy in the NFL again. Unless some team at this time next year has two injured Corners, and BB is not back in the CFL already.

certainly not in a Hawks uniform. I feel bad for all the guys wearing new Nike Browner Jerseys.

Disagree.

I think we will see him in the NFL again, just not on the Seahawks and more than likely as a backup on a team with a thin secondary.

I think everyone is underrating Browner. And overreacting on the punishment this guy deserves. Does he deserve to have his livelyhood taken away from him for smoking some weed? A 1 year suspension? That's quite ridiculous in my opinion. Everyone makes mistakes. For a guy to be suspended for an entire year when a guy gets a DUI and plays the next week is ridiculous in my opinion (Dwayne Bowe just got a DUI the other day). With a DUI you're puting other people at risk of injury or death, with substance abuse you're abusing your own body.

I don't think anyone cares that he was smoking weed. Most of us are just dumbfounded at how stupid he was and how badly he screwed over his team mates and the men that gave him an opportunity to play in the NFL.

He was told in no uncertain terms he would undergo tests for substance use, and being caught would result in suspensions. So he used something against the rules. That's a pretty impressive level of idiocy and selfishness.

I agree with you on how stupid the man was and is. But stupidity isn't a crime its a dehabilitating condition that should be pitied. Breaking the nfl rules is breaking the rules. But this idea that they should hang fir this transgression is just ridiculous. The guy is being punished beyond all reason. One year because he smoked pot? How many of all these nfl or Nba players, guys in their 20's, smoke pot? 90% or higher? The last two presidents of the Usa not only smoked pot but snorted coke. Obama admits to snorting coke in his autobiography. The president of the Usa when he was in his 20's. One year is as good as a life sentence for browner. And seahawks fans instead of pointing out the injustice are throwing these hawk players to the wolves. Its horrible to watch.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":1dsucjvk said:
Seahawk Sailor":1dsucjvk said:

Posted in another thread before the classic Radish lock,

Like I have said before, I dont understand how he got to stage three since he never was suspended the required 4 games after stage two. (Btw, PED and substance abuse are different policies that do not overlap.)

This was my question yesterday.

Defiantly deserved it's own thread, and not to be buried in the 100th thread about browner suspended for PED's/substance abuse. Respect for the mods but I'd say I get more annoyed by decent threads getting locked or moved than having to see duplicate or misplaced posts. if two people created a thread with the same link I get it but this one feels different. Browner getting shafted, if true will soon become a huge topic.

Gotta say that if it's true about him skipping a test way back when and then either failing or skipping one recently this sucks.

I can see it a few ways
If he was using PED's and skipped the test- I understand why he'd skip it and I'm kinda pissed
If he was smoking weed and failed the test- He's an idiot, there are plenty of way to pass the test and I'm pissed
If he was using pills and failed- I kinda understand as he was probably trying to play through pain, not as pissed
If he just skipped the test- Dammit man, WTF, super pissed

Latest posts