Bruce Irvin Just Made Things Interesting

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ What's a lot to maneuver? They just had to inform the league and Irvin's agent they were exercising the option and that's it.

Then if Wilson or Wagner pose a problem a year later they don't exercise the option and that's it.

There's literally no scenario in which they didn't exercise his option because it was too complicated to do so.

Irvin was pissed because by not exercising it the Seahawks essentially said "there is no scenario in which you're worth 7.5 million to us, and we're not even interested enough in keeping you long term to even pretend there is as a form of leverage in the long term negotiations we're not planning on having with you."

From a cap (and comp pick) perspective I totally get it and don't fault the Hawks for it at all (see my post above about what the Hawks ask of him), but if this summer the FO talks about having made a sincere effort to keep Irvin they're being deeply full of crap.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3eoyjlvu said:
^^^^ What's a lot to maneuver? They just had to inform the league and Irvin's agent they were exercising the option and that's it.

Then if Wilson or Wagner pose a problem a year later they don't exercise the option and that's it.

There's literally no scenario in which they didn't exercise his option because it was too complicated to do so.

Irvin was pissed because by not exercising it the Seahawks essentially said "there is no scenario in which you're worth 7.5 million to us, and we're not even interested enough in keeping you long term to even pretend there is as a form of leverage in the long term negotiations we're not planning on having with you."

From a cap (and comp pick) perspective I totally get it and don't fault the Hawks for it at all (see my post above about what the Hawks ask of him), but if this summer the FO talks about having made a sincere effort to keep Irvin they're being deeply full of crap.

It's not as simple as just giving Irvin the option
Because by giving Irvin the option, at the time, would hurt the bargaining power to resign Wilson and Wagner because you're telling Wilson/Wagner that we don't have as much money to negotiate a deal. More specifically Wagner, because his agent is going to proceed with the cap number that assumes Irvin is on the roster and they both play Linebacker.

It sounds like you on the one hand the Hawks should have given the option to Irvin no matter what, while at the same time understanding that the Hawks didn't have enough cap room to keep him. It can't be both.

chris98251

Reaction score
His position is listed as a LB and the 5th year option I think would have put him higher then we wanted to pay, he also was Mr. Bonehead last year, stupid penalties etc and was still really learning things. He shored up a lot but I think the questions like Carpenter were enough that they figured if they want him back the could resign cheaper and longer term with less cap hit if he got it. I think he did and now has placed himself in a very competitive market year.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seahawks going after Von Miller?!

That is not gonna happen!

Carroll has made some bold moves but Miller will be staying in Denver for at least the next 5 years.

Miller will be the highest paid defensive player in the league sooner than later.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Basis4day":311eb2f8 said:
Popeyejones":311eb2f8 said:

Because by giving Irvin the option, at the time, would hurt the bargaining power to resign Wilson and Wagner because you're telling Wilson/Wagner that we don't have as much money to negotiate a deal. More specifically Wagner, because his agent is going to proceed with the cap number that assumes Irvin is on the roster and they both play Linebacker.

It sounds like you on the one hand the Hawks should have given the option to Irvin no matter what, while at the same time understanding that the Hawks didn't have enough cap room to keep him. It can't be both.

It is just as simple as tagging Irvin with the option, because tagging someone with the option doesn't mean you actually give them anything. If you tag someone with the option you can just take it away if you want: YOU have the option as from the player you have taken away the option to hit the FA market. It's like putting a video game that comes out next year on hold but without having to put down a deposit: if you want it the day it comes out you're guaranteed a copy but if you decide you don't want it there's no penalty and you just never show up for it.

As for bargaining power with Wagner, this is incorrect for two reasons:

1) It has no effect on bargaining with Wagner because everyone in the NFL already knows that making the option claim doesn't mean you actually keep the player for another year or ever pay him.

2) If not that, it makes negotiating with Wagner slightly easier because the message it sends to Wagner is that if he plays hardball you already have another player at his position group who you might be interested in trying to keep around.

IMO it's really unrelated to Wagner, but if it's related at all, they would have given Irvin the option (and not exercised it this off-season) if only to make negotiations with Wagner easier.

As for what I think, yeah, I think both of those things. On the one hand I think it's pretty surprising they didn't exercise the option on Irvin, but on the other hand both from a total cap and spend perspective and from the perspective of what they ask of Irvin in their defense I can also understand why they did it. Even with both of those things being true, though, there are two basic points we can't really get around:

1) It was a pretty big slap in the face to Irvin to not exercise the option (why he was so pissed last year and basically said "FU I'm going to Atlanta anyway")

2) By not exercising option the Seahawks basically revealed that there interest in keeping Irvin a Seahawk (given all other considerations they're making) is closer to 0% than 1%.

That it was too complicated to hand in the paperwork or that doing so made it harder to negotiate with Wagner or Wilson just doesn't hold any water, man.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":flo4vkxg said:

Carroll has made some bold moves but Miller will be staying in Denver for at least the next 5 years.

Miller will be the highest paid defensive player in the league sooner than later.

He'll be tagged, no way in hell Denver lets him leave................especially now that the Broncos are about to save 20M a year not having to pay Manning.

edogg23

Reaction score
Popeyejones":5fguzaak said:
Basis4day":5fguzaak said:
Popeyejones":5fguzaak said:

It is just as simple as tagging Irvin with the option, because tagging someone with the option doesn't mean you actually give them anything. If you tag someone with the option you can just take it away if you want: YOU have the option as from the player you have taken away the option to hit the FA market. It's like putting a video game that comes out next year on hold but without having to put down a deposit: if you want it the day it comes out you're guaranteed a copy but if you decide you don't want it there's no penalty and you just never show up for it.

As for bargaining power with Wagner, this is incorrect for two reasons:

1) It has no effect on bargaining with Wagner because everyone in the NFL already knows that making the option claim doesn't mean you actually keep the player for another year or ever pay him.

2) If not that, it makes negotiating with Wagner slightly easier because the message it sends to Wagner is that if he plays hardball you already have another player at his position group who you might be interested in trying to keep around.

IMO it's really unrelated to Wagner, but if it's related at all, they would have given Irvin the option (and not exercised it this off-season) if only to make negotiations with Wagner easier.

As for what I think, yeah, I think both of those things. On the one hand I think it's pretty surprising they didn't exercise the option on Irvin, but on the other hand both from a total cap and spend perspective and from the perspective of what they ask of Irvin in their defense I can also understand why they did it. Even with both of those things being true, though, there are two basic points we can't really get around:

1) It was a pretty big slap in the face to Irvin to not exercise the option (why he was so pissed last year and basically said "FU I'm going to Atlanta anyway")

2) By not exercising option the Seahawks basically revealed that there interest in keeping Irvin a Seahawk (given all other considerations they're making) is closer to 0% than 1%.

That it was too complicated to hand in the paperwork or that doing so made it harder to negotiate with Wagner or Wilson just doesn't hold any water, man.
You can't pay 3 linebackers big contracts in a 4/3 system, it makes no sense.
Also if they tag him then they have to cut him if they don't want to use it. Bye bye 3rd round draft pick.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2os5n6fk said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2os5n6fk said:

He'll be tagged, no way in hell Denver lets him leave................especially now that the Broncos are about to save 20M a year not having to pay Manning.

Oh yeah... Somehow, I keep forgetting that Manning's retirement clears a ton of cap for them, so they'll be closer to 30+ million in cap space. They're definitely tagging Von Miller.