Bye bye Haush

Optimus25

Reaction score
cjcinec56":3sxpbsfy said:
One missed extra point distance kick in a crucial game diminishes any savings. I'm hoping the Seahawks find a FA solution better than Walsh. The Blair Walsh experiment could prove to be a disaster!

Hauschka missed a similar kick with just slightly less implications. In far, far, vastly, immensely better weather. With a good hold, whereas Walsh was clearly presented laces.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Haush had a bad year, the worst of his career, and I'm not about to make excuses for him. But there were more reasons for his lackluster performance than his low kicks:

He never has like kicking off the turf in Arizona. I'm not sure if anyone else has ever noticed, but it's usually dotted with large divots by midway through the 2nd quarter. That was the locale of his worst blunder in his career, the missed chip shot FT in OT.

He didn't always get a perfect snap.

The OL gave up way too much of a push up front. It's like they were wearing roller skates.

He's hit some clutch FG's for us, executed a perfect onside kick that got us to a SB. And his kickoffs yielded a fair share of touchbacks.

I accept the fact that it was time for him to go, but I'm not sure if Walsh is an upgrade. Only time will tell.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Players come, players go. I'm grateful for all the good times we had with the guy.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1e2xsci6 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRyan9/status/839962412774125569[/tweet]
If Jon Ryan doesn't play the rest of his career as a Seahawk, I'll be very depressed. That dude rules.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Optimus25":1vgz82r2 said:
Hauschka missed a similar kick with just slightly less implications. In far, far, vastly, immensely better weather. With a good hold, whereas Walsh was clearly presented laces.

And since that miss, Walsh went 15/19 XP (78.9%) and 12/16 on FG (75%). In just 9 games played last year, he missed as many XP and FG as in the entire prior year.

For his career prior to last year, he went 141/146 on XP (97%), and 121/142 on FG (85%).

There was a massive drop off since the "laces in" kick.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
RockinHawks":1ndan7pk said:
HawkFan72":1ndan7pk said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRyan9/status/839962412774125569[/tweet]
If Jon Ryan doesn't play the rest of his career as a Seahawk, I'll be very depressed. That dude rules.

One of my favorite Hawks of all time. Class guy.

Josea16

Reaction score
bigskydoc":650zeo1b said:
Optimus25":650zeo1b said:

And since that miss, Walsh went 15/19 XP (78.9%) and 12/16 on FG (75%). In just 9 games played last year, he missed as many XP and FG as in the entire prior year.

For his career prior to last year, he went 141/146 on XP (97%), and 121/142 on FG (85%).

Some time to rethink things and a change of scenery have done wonders for countless numbers of players. Especially on prove it contracts. Some are Seahawks right now on 2nd/3rd contracts or will be. Maybe it's because baseball is my first love but player movement is a fact and usually it's all about who is willing to "Show me the money". From there you count on your GM to draft well and pick the right core players for 2nd/3rd contracts.

FA's are risky most times because they're either going for their big second contract or just old enough to make most question why give him a 3rd big contract. Lang doesn't fit the second age wise so take your best shot because with him Arizona and Los Angeles will no longer cause our offense such ridiculous problems. It's exactly the same as why Atlanta got stupid awesome on offense. His name is Alex Mack. Dominate your division and be like New England. It's really that simple, San Francisco and Pittsburgh won multiple Superbowls because they had better then good chances to be in that game every year. Not just playoffs but 1/2 seed in conference every year.

Elite OL guys elevate bad OL lines to average or average OL lines to good/elite almost by themselves. The Seahawks just need an average OL to dominate and that includes New England.

The other category are guys that have either been elite for 2-3 years and something made the bottom fall out while being young (Walsh) or guys that were in a second contract and decent (Avail and Bennett) so you offer a "prove it" contract based on position and current market conditions.

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
He earned the first big contract, not a second. Always wish him the best for his contributions to 1st Super Bowl victory! Good luck Haush money

RiverDog

Reaction score
Optimus25":11uo2gk0 said:

The weather was better but the footing was worse. Hauschka never did like kicking off that turf in Arizona. They must over water the hell out of it as you're always seeing huge clumps of grass dotted around the field. For a kicker, footing is more important to them than air temperature.

evergreen

Reaction score
Chapow":2agfzq6k said:
Crizilla":2agfzq6k said:
oh the life of a kicker

if Haush makes that chip shot against ARZ, Seahawks get the 2 seed and probably to the NFC title game at least. Prob stays here too. At the same time Walsh gets a second chance. Buffalo got a good kicker, though. I thought Haush was the best kicker in the league for a bit.

OTOH, if Catanzaro had made his chip shot, Hausch never even gets the opportunity at the game winning FG and we lose instead of tie. Don't forget how fortunate we were to not lose that game as Catanzaro had his chip shot chance before Hausch did.

I do agree with you though that Hausch was the best in the league for awhile there. Certainly not last season though.

Don't forget, he had Bobby Wagner in his face again... Hausch had nothing but victory staring him in the face...

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
Oh dear. Going from Sea to buf is a nasty culture shock. Oh well. At least the cost of living is next to nothing, I mean nothing in buf.

253hawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":35io74hz said:
Haush had a bad year, the worst of his career, and I'm not about to make excuses for him. But there were more reasons for his lackluster performance than his low kicks:

He never has like kicking off the turf in Arizona. I'm not sure if anyone else has ever noticed, but it's usually dotted with large divots by midway through the 2nd quarter. That was the locale of his worst blunder in his career, the missed chip shot FT in OT.

He didn't always get a perfect snap.

The OL gave up way too much of a push up front. It's like they were wearing roller skates.

He's hit some clutch FG's for us, executed a perfect onside kick that got us to a SB. And his kickoffs yielded a fair share of touchbacks.

I accept the fact that it was time for him to go, but I'm not sure if Walsh is an upgrade. Only time will tell.

Last year was his third-best as far as FG% is concerned. His worst was 2014, and I don't remember hearing anyone complaining about him then. Sure, he struggled with XPs, but he didn't outright lose us any games because of them. He pulled the one in Arizona because it would have been blocked had he kicked it straight. And for all of its praise as a playing surface, it regularly ranks as one of the worst stadiums for kickers. They completely over-water it, which is why you regularly see teams slipping all over the place and cramping up from the humidity (because it's scorching outside and the roof is closed, trapping the moisture).

RiverDog

Reaction score
253hawk":1t0jsfec said:
Last year was his third-best as far as FG% is concerned. His worst was 2014, and I don't remember hearing anyone complaining about him then. Sure, he struggled with XPs, but he didn't outright lose us any games because of them. He pulled the one in Arizona because it would have been blocked had he kicked it straight. And for all of its praise as a playing surface, it regularly ranks as one of the worst stadiums for kickers. They completely over-water it, which is why you regularly see teams slipping all over the place and cramping up from the humidity (because it's scorching outside and the roof is closed, trapping the moisture).

I agree 100% with you about the Arizona turf. Being in the potato business, I know that when temperatures near 100F, the plant shuts down to protect its root system and quits using water. You can end up with more excess water at 100 degrees than you can applying the same amount of water at 85 degrees despite the fact that more water will evaporate at the higher temp.

Grass does the same thing, which is why our lawns grow faster in May than they do in July.

So my theory is that during the intense Arizona heat, they have to keep watering it and applying nitrogen to keep it green. It would be a bit of an embarrassment for them to roll in a brown grass field.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
cjcinec56":2pvqcnzc said:
Haush was a dependable kicker when he had a dependable snapper. Walsh is a WILDCARD. Could be really good.Could cost you a PLAYOFF game by missing an extra point type FG. I wish they would have just placed more value in the long snapper. Pete and John screwed this one up.
This...so many fans overlook the inconsistency the Seahawks had at LS and the edge. All the blame goes on Haush

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Josea16":1tewuuo8 said:
bigskydoc":1tewuuo8 said:
Some time to rethink things and a change of scenery have done wonders for countless numbers of players...

The other category are guys that have either been elite for 2-3 years and something made the bottom fall out while being young (Walsh) or guys that were in a second contract and decent (Avail and Bennett) so you offer a "prove it" contract based on position and current market conditions.

I agree, and I tend to think that this is a good move by the front office. Just pointing out that the "laces in" kick wasn't the only issue. Hopefully the change of scenery is all Walsh needs to get back on track. In evaluating the two kickers, it seems like Walsh had an off year, while Hauschka's long-term trajectory is looking troubling. I prefer that the FO makes cuts before production drops off.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1vty29t2 said:
Josea16":1vty29t2 said:
bigskydoc":1vty29t2 said:
Some time to rethink things and a change of scenery have done wonders for countless numbers of players...

seems like Walsh had an off year, while Hauschka's long-term trajectory is looking troubling. I prefer that the FO makes cuts before production drops off.

Exactly. The Patriots have been masters at letting players go just before their expiration date. Hauschka was already becoming sour.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Yea....have to agree. Since the Eagles game where we found our new QB And New rEcEivEr.....Baldwin and RW....Hauchmoney was a let go. 11 blocks by this time in the year which was the weekend before Thanksgiving last season.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
YYZHawksFan":x29snd3o said:
Oh dear. Going from Sea to buf is a nasty culture shock. Oh well. At least the cost of living is next to nothing, I mean nothing in buf.

As a lifelong Upstate New Yorker, I find your comment to be absolutely on point.