Byron Maxwell has deal with Eagles

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":26pf2mzt said:
NFSeahawks628":26pf2mzt said:
Whats with all the negative talk about Maxwell guys a top 15 CB in the league.....

That's simply not true. No objective or even subjective assessment of Maxwell's play should render that opinion. He would be a solid #2 CB on an average defense, but he was repeatedly lit up here. That is beyond debate. And he's not worth even a third of the dollar amount that he'll command on the bloated FA market.
Well that's not true. I'd say Maxwell is easily a top 15 CB, possibly top 10

Northhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2jsbtwoe said:
Wasn't Maxwell's passer rating against #1 in the NFL two seasons ago? I seem to recall it was still fairly solid in 2014.

Anyway, I always trust my eyeballs over what PFF says. Giving Maxwell a negative grade to me is like someone saying Batman and Robin was a great movie. All it does is make me question the reviewer.

Normally I'd be fine with taking the mid-round pick and the cash savings, but there is a reason Seattle is putting up a fight here. Maxwell creates turnovers and is a very well coached player. Our secondary depth is a huge area of concern, and this year's draft is not a good one for the types of corners Seattle targets.

Maxwell is a better corner in some respects than Browner was, and some have argued that the loss of Browner may have been the difference in the SB. I respect the Seahawks however they decide to play this, but letting Maxwell go will be a tough loss, for sure.

This^

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He is a max effort guy and deserves to get paid. I hope we can find away to bring him back but if not we will adjust. Next man up gets the opportunity to be the next high dollar free agent corner every one wants to pay.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm with Kip on this.
Some are saying Maxi gets "burned" a lot.
I'd be curious to know the numbers.
If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that the %s are not that bad because of how much Sherm's side of the field gets avoided.
It's easy for me to see how, on the surface it may appear that Maxi gives up a lot but personally I think we will sorely miss him if he's leaves. Our secondary has evolved into a tremendous unit. The chemistry is almost perfect. It will be very hard to match the intangibles, either by draft or FA.

I HOPE WE KEEP HIM.
Hell I even wish we still had BB for the same reasons.

motivated87

Reaction score
Great,he played well In Seattle. Let him go and get paid. He can be replaced. Seattle cant sign everyone to max deals.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3ektvqli said:
HawkFan72":3ektvqli said:
I'm really surprised Seattle is genuinely trying to sign him. I thought they had resigned to letting him walk.

They also said he was a priority. That tells me they would at least make their best effort. Not even close to a 'let him walk' attitude. :?

Yes, they said he was a priority, but also that they understood he was going to be tough to keep because he was going to have a good market. I fully expected it to be a Golden Tate situation: The Hawks say they want him back, they give him an offer that works for them, and then he goes away for a lot more money. Seattle never put up a fight for Golden, despite saying they wanted him back.

The fact that Seattle is putting up a fight is what is surprising to me, not that they are making him an offer.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/574593578237845504[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/574593013986414592[/tweet]

Chip Kelly breaking all his piggy banks today.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Let Philly have him for that. Really hope Seattle isn't going into that range. I'd rather they put that money into a star at another position if they are going to spend that.

jake206

Reaction score
I really hope the market is hot for Maxwell. If he's going to leave us, I want them to know any Seahawk player is going to cost top dollar. We are the Rolls Royce of NFL development. :twisted:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The Eagles are going to pay Maxwell like he's a Top 5 CB. If he's going to go away, at least he will be paid a lot, with a lot of guarantees. Would set us up nicely for a comp pick.

getnasty

Reaction score
jake206":33kzh559 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/574593578237845504[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/574593013986414592[/tweet]

Chip Kelly breaking all his piggy banks today.

Good for Maxwell if this is true, I would love too have him back but not at that price. Your worth whatever someone will pay you and that money suggest Maxwell is a top 10 cornerback. If i'm a free agent DB, im taking a one year prove it deal with the Hawks and then cashing in the following year. Talent wise I love Simon, his health is what makes me nervous.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
getnasty":1bq2v7n0 said:
Good for Maxwell if this is true, I would love too have him back but not at that price. Your worth whatever someone will pay you and that money suggest Maxwell is a top 10 cornerback. If i'm a free agent DB, im taking a one year prove it deal with the Hawks and then cashing in the following year. Talent wise I love Simon, his health is what makes me nervous.

Not Top 10, that is Top 3-5 money. Eagles going all out and going to pay him like a star CB.

getnasty

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1enl1n4u said:
getnasty":1enl1n4u said:

Not Top 10, that is Top 3-5 money. Eagles going all out and going to pay him like a star CB.

Like you said, if were losing him at least were gonna get a nice pick in return.

CPHawk

Reaction score
$10 mill a year? Can you say Larry Brown. He's not bringing the #1 FS, #1 SS and the #1 corner with him. It's easier to look like a top corner when you are surrounded by those 3 guys.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hope that it's true... good for Maxi.

If true, the Eagles overpaid... by a LOT.

Hyak

Reaction score
I like Maxwell but there's no way you pay top 3-5 CB money for him. It would have to be somewhat back loaded for Seattle to have a chance to keep him with cap numbers nowhere near 10 M/year.

You cannot pay a good player great player money.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
staga206":1h12i58s said:
OVER FREAKN RATED!

Yes, you already said that earlier in this thread. Care to explain WHY you think he is overrated, instead of just saying that over and over?

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Not sure how this is a bad deal for the Eagles....

120t26f

If those numbers are true, it's essentially a two year deal that they can escape out of after 2016 if he fails. But they were slated to pay Cary Williams (garbage) 8.5M this year and Maxwell is a perfect fit for the Eagles Cover 3/Press Man scheme.

They have almost 60M in cap space. They are interested in Devin McCourty as well. If they can nab him as well and have a safety duo of McCourty/Jenkins, that's pretty rock solid. Not ET/Kam solid but still very solid.

Eagles finished 31st against the pass last year. If they even improve to the middle of the pack this year, that's gotta be good for two more wins.

It's also telling what his former coaches think of him as they're competing with the Eagles for his services in Atlanta & Jacksonville.

and yes, I am an Eagles fan living in Seattle so I'm just trying to bring a different perspective to this conversation.