Byron Maxwell has deal with Eagles

Highlordb

Reaction score
Maxi is a very good player, but not top 5 player, i am happy if he can generate that type of contract on the market but hope seattle doesn't try to keep up with that....specially with our draft history of finding talent in the later rounds. I am interested in seeing how maxi does outside of our great defense....

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
xkj1985x":2evpo81f said:
Not sure how this is a bad deal for the Eagles....

120t26f

If those numbers are true, it's essentially a two year deal that they can escape out of after 2016 if he fails. But they were slated to pay Cary Williams (garbage) 8.5M this year and Maxwell is a perfect fit for the Eagles Cover 3/Press Man scheme.

They have almost 60M in cap space. They are interested in Devin McCourty as well. If they can nab him as well and have a safety duo of McCourty/Jenkins, that's pretty rock solid. Not ET/Kam solid but still very solid.

Eagles finished 31st against the pass last year. If they even improve to the middle of the pack this year, that's gotta be good for two more wins.

It's also telling what his former coaches think of him as they're competing with the Eagles for his services in Atlanta & Jacksonville.

and yes, I am an Eagles fan living in Seattle so I'm just trying to bring a different perspective to this conversation.

That would almost certainly equate to a 3rd round comp next year I'd think. That'll be useful.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
xkj1985x":1j97wo1a said:

120t26f

If those numbers are true, it's essentially a two year deal that they can escape out of after 2016 if he fails. But they were slated to pay Cary Williams (garbage) 8.5M this year and Maxwell is a perfect fit for the Eagles Cover 3/Press Man scheme.

They have almost 60M in cap space. They are interested in Devin McCourty as well. If they can nab him as well and have a safety duo of McCourty/Jenkins, that's pretty rock solid. Not ET/Kam solid but still very solid.

Eagles finished 31st against the pass last year. If they even improve to the middle of the pack this year, that's gotta be good for two more wins.

It's also telling what his former coaches think of him as they're competing with the Eagles for his services in Atlanta & Jacksonville.

and yes, I am an Eagles fan living in Seattle so I'm just trying to bring a different perspective to this conversation.

I'm curious what the actual numbers are on this one. I kind of doubt it's a contract the Eagles can get out after two years cleanly.

cacksman

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1twpzwr6 said:
xkj1985x":1twpzwr6 said:

120t26f

I'm curious what the actual numbers are on this one. I kind of doubt it's a contract the Eagles can get out after two years cleanly.

Only $23.5M guaranteed, NOT the monster deal people are thinking based on the total #s. No chance he sees all $63M unless he pulls a Marshawn and somehow turns into a top 5 corner.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Love watching Maxwell punch balls out of peoples arms, but not at that price. They have been doing some crazy things in Philly.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
cacksman":3sot2uqb said:
Recon_Hawk":3sot2uqb said:
xkj1985x":3sot2uqb said:

120t26f

Only $23.5M guaranteed, NOT the monster deal people are thinking based on the total #s. No chance he sees all $63M unless he pulls a Marshawn and somehow turns into a top 5 corner.

I understand that. How they structure his guaranteed $25m (new figure) will indicate how many years they are tied to him. Need the details first.

gabel

Reaction score
I like Bryon Maxwell but he is an average talent who plays with an edge and had the luxury of having Earl Thomas backing him. 10 million a year for a often injured player! I wonder how that will look in 3 years.

Great deal for Seattle, we get a third round pick next year for Bryon Maxwell. Sometimes you think you are losing when you are really winning.

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
@JaysonBraddock: Byron Maxwell deal is done. Guarantee came in higher after more discussion. Byron Maxwell will become an Eagle Tuesday w/ $25 mil guaranteed

Good for maxwell. Glad we didn't overpay. Even if our pass defense drops a bit we are still tops in the league. That 3rd round comp pick will come in handy next year.

Veilside

Reaction score
captSE":1yojwbjo said:
Gulp, Simon...?

:180670:

Maxwell wasn't anything special when he first started. I think Simon has the potential to be a better corner than both Maxwell and Browner. Let's give him a little time to develop first.

Ever since Kam got locked up I've figured that the 2nd CB spot is always going to be a "next man up" position due to having so much money going to be devoted to the secondary. Maxwell leaving for top dollar is just a natural progression of this.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3vmxhy2n said:

Well, I am kind of just assuming so maybe that's wrong on my part but if its accurate in that they're giving him 13.5 in the first year, you'd have to think they're giving him anywhere between 7-10 in year two which would absolve most, if not all of the guarantees.

I guess we will have to wait and see the TRUE numbers but even if it doesn't work out and they have to cut him after two years, they will certainly have a significant amount of cap savings even if they are eating a bit of dead money.

drdiags

Reaction score
If this guy is legit, the money Maxwell is getting isn't bad for him and the Eagles. The Eagles just jettisoned their two starting corners I believe and sitting on ton of cap space. Why not spend on a known commodity? If Maxie doesn't work out for them, it won't be the first time teams have dipped into the FA pool and came up short.

Good timing for him and I have nothing negative to say about him. He was able to step in for Browner/Thurmond last year after spending two years banged up and played solidly. I am not going to pooh-pooh his skills just because he got paid and will no longer be with the Seahawks.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
CPHawk":3ammysa5 said:
$10 mill a year? Can you say Larry Brown. He's not bringing the #1 FS, #1 SS and the #1 corner with him. It's easier to look like a top corner when you are surrounded by those 3 guys.

Exactly the opposite of this. You get picked on as the "weak link" and will be exploited if you aren't good enough to handle that pressure. It's easier for Richard Sherman to keep his "#1 Cornerback" title when he sees zero throws his direction in an entire game. It is a lot harder to perform well when you're the one being picked on as the "weak link".

In times where Maxwell was "exploited", he often intercepted the ball or punched it out for fumbles, and held his receivers to low-ish yardage and touchdowns. This is the very definition of a solid cornerback.

I hope Philly doesn't outbid us on him, but I can't see that not happening. And the contract, as large as it is, will be deserved.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
xkj1985x":3rq74qw5 said:
Recon_Hawk":3rq74qw5 said:

Well, I am kind of just assuming so maybe that's wrong on my part but if its accurate in that they're giving him 13.5 in the first year, you'd have to think they're giving him anywhere between 7-10 in year two which would absolve most, if not all of the guarantees.

I guess we will have to wait and see the TRUE numbers but even if it doesn't work out and they have to cut him after two years, they will certainly have a significant amount of cap savings even if they are eating a bit of dead money.

You could be right. I'm not a cap expert. I'll just wait on the final numbers.

Congrats on your team landing Maxwell. He's a hell of a player. I think the fact Carroll and Schneider kept after him through this process tells you all about how they view him (Or they really wanted the Eagles to open up their wallet :mrgreen: )

Basis4day

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":10johqre said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/574654666321051649[/tweet]

Good for Maxwell. He made about 2.15 million in his entire career with the Hawks.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
25 Million gauranteed? Talk about over rated. Browner was much better and to a large degree so was WT3 when he was healthy. Congrats, on to the next one.

TAB420

Reaction score
What does it say that Quinn didn't go after Maxwell? They have more cap than the Eagles and Seahawks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
TAB420":2l5xu10c said:
What does it say that Quinn didn't go after Maxwell? They have more cap than the Eagles and Seahawks.
Quinn is not the personnel boss in Atlanta.