Cam Vs. Wilson

Bakergirl

Reaction score
I think the reason they see Newton as having greater potential than Wilson is that there is such a glaring mental chasm separating Newton and Wilson. They see Wilson as an already mentally capable QB where as Newton has miles to go for improvement. They are kidding themselves thinking Wilson has already reached his mental ceiling, at least that's what I believe. He's entering his second year and already has the command and leadership skills of a veteran, and the wisdom to understand that he doesn't know everything there is to know, along with the work ethic that enables him to pursue that knowledge. Wilson still has miles of upside. Newton on the other hand, I'm not so sure. He's either going to "get it" one day or he's not. Not saying the potential isn't there, but I really believe there is a bigger upside to a guy like Wilson who already has the intangibles that most successful championship QB's possess, versus a guy who is entering his third NFL season and thus far has not displayed the kind of intangibles Russell was able to display throughout his rookie campaign.

kunged

Reaction score
I am a niner fan and most won't care for my opinion, but I like reading posts from opposition fans as IMO it gives a good outside perspective, so here goes:

I would take Wilson hands down.

Cam is big and athletic, but I find he uses his size more so than his elusiveness. In the end if you have quick LBs + DL that wrap up he should be brought down.

I still have nightmares about trying to tackle Wilson in the pocket, his pure pcoket elusiveness is probably one of the best, if not the best, I have seen currently playing in the NFL.

Cam has a strong arm, but so does Wilson, he hardly has a wind back, but can bomb a ball downfield with, what looks like, relative ease.

Most importantly (to me) it seems like he has a much better attitude. I remember seeing Cam sat by himself on a bench with a towel over his head, that is not the kind of player (especially one that is meant to be a leader) I would want on my team. When I play sports I hate losing and the one thing I hate more than losing is losing face in front of the opposition, I love players that never give up and keep playing hard no matter the score. That is why I respect the Seahawks, playing hard no matter the score (and in some cases nearly completing the comeback)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It depends on your roster. Russell is the better leader by far but the roster at carolina doesn't have a lot to lead. Cam is much bigger in stature but smaller in character. I'd take Russ though.

Throwdown

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1qitrjon said:
As an Auburn alum, I'm a fan of both guys.

The people who have criticized Newton's passing ability and called him a "running QB" were flat-out wrong. The guy has an excellent arm and pretty decent accuracy. His size makes him hard to bring down, and his speed and fluidity make him a dangerous threat to run (though he'll beat teams with him arm just as much). His physical traits are off the charts. And his leadership was clear while he was at Auburn.

Now, with all that being said, Newton's now playing in a league where he can't just physically dominate every defender, and that throws challenges at him that he didn't really experience at previous levels of the game. And when he gets hit with that, it shows up in his body language. He's got a head for the game, and he's a capable leader... but he isn't as mentally tough as Wilson - and I think it's due to the fact that Newton has never had to really overcome the same kind of adversity that Wilson has. Newton's size and arm have had people buying into him since he was in middle school; Wilson's had to rely on his work ethic, his determination, and his mental toughness for far longer than Newton has.

In the end, I look at it this way... when he's "on," I don't know that there's a guy who can take over a game like Newton. But that doesn't make you a better QB... it just makes you a guy with special talent. To be a better QB, you have to be able to handle games that have turned against you and turn them back. You have to be able to make everyone around you better. And you have to be able to do that week in and week out... not just when things are going well. That's why I'd take Wilson over Newton.

This is the best post of the thread and pretty spot on.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kunged":o8es5kaw said:
I am a niner fan and most won't care for my opinion, but I like reading posts from opposition fans as IMO it gives a good outside perspective, so here goes:

I would take Wilson hands down.

Cam is big and athletic, but I find he uses his size more so than his elusiveness. In the end if you have quick LBs + DL that wrap up he should be brought down.

I still have nightmares about trying to tackle Wilson in the pocket, his pure pcoket elusiveness is probably one of the best, if not the best, I have seen currently playing in the NFL.

Cam has a strong arm, but so does Wilson, he hardly has a wind back, but can bomb a ball downfield with, what looks like, relative ease.

Most importantly (to me) it seems like he has a much better attitude. I remember seeing Cam sat by himself on a bench with a towel over his head, that is not the kind of player (especially one that is meant to be a leader) I would want on my team. When I play sports I hate losing and the one thing I hate more than losing is losing face in front of the opposition, I love players that never give up and keep playing hard no matter the score. That is why I respect the Seahawks, playing hard no matter the score (and in some cases nearly completing the comeback)

Very good feedback

OP
OP
hawker84

hawker84

Reaction score
With Cam it's all about me..

with Wilson it's all about the team, and deflects everything away from him and on to the team and coaching staff..

for me the sinker is: And i'm talking about this upcoming season....

Put Cam in Seattle with this current team, of course he'll do much better then he did in Carolina.

Put Wilson in Carolina with their current team, would Wilson have a better year than Cam did? i think so...

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":3u4hawnd said:
Can we change kearly's title to "Secret 49er" fan?

Does Harbaugh get Cam with a 4 1st rounders across the line, too? Not taking anything away from Harbaugh, he's a great coach, but, being gifted the Great Wall of China at OL, day one, helps.

Maybe a secret Harbaugh fan. The results he's achieved with flawed quarterbacks is mind blowing.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":2fjs96st said:
pehawk":2fjs96st said:
Can we change kearly's title to "Secret 49er" fan?

Does Harbaugh get Cam with a 4 1st rounders across the line, too? Not taking anything away from Harbaugh, he's a great coach, but, being gifted the Great Wall of China at OL, day one, helps.

Maybe a secret Harbaugh fan. The results he's achieved with flawed quarterbacks is mind blowing.

I'm with ya. There's enough old timers on this board who remember me pooping bricks when the 49ers hired him. Anyone that converts Stanford into physical team, is good.

But, I've actually chilled on him since he entered the NFL, just a tad. I want to see how he does without an advantage along the trenches, every game, regardless of opponent. You give me advantage at OL and DL every game, and I'll make the playoffs too.

He may be great regardless...but for me personally I want to see him have to coach without those advantages.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Simply put, this argument really comes down to, "do you take physical measurables over intangibles?"

In almost every other position, you would go with the physical measurables, especially to the extent that Cam has them.

Problem is, the QB position still is more about being cerebral than physical. More QBs have failed due to lacking intangibles than failing due to lacking athleticism. Montana, Brady, Marino, Fouts. Just a few names of guys that couldn't run out of a shoe box, but tore the league up.

Yes, there is a new breed of QB up and coming in the NFL, but everyone is athletic in the NFL. That's why the game has sped up so fast. Information processing has to be even faster; you can't do that with rocks between your ears no matter how fast your feet are.

Personally, it's beginning to look like Newton's intangibles lack a lot more than Wilson's lack of physical measurables do. I'd go with Wilson; the way he handled last year still amazes me.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Wilson only lacks one physical trait though, dude is pretty top notch when it comes to the other physical attributes.

I love Wilson to death though, but lets not act like Cam is a mental midget or anything. Dude can ball with the best of 'em, everyone matures at a different rate and I think last year, if anyone was watching, as the season progress Cam really started stepping up as a leader of that Carolina team.

WarHawks

Reaction score
volsunghawk":jnllvabg said:

The people who have criticized Newton's passing ability and called him a "running QB" were flat-out wrong. The guy has an excellent arm and pretty decent accuracy. His size makes him hard to bring down, and his speed and fluidity make him a dangerous threat to run (though he'll beat teams with him arm just as much). His physical traits are off the charts. And his leadership was clear while he was at Auburn.

Now, with all that being said, Newton's now playing in a league where he can't just physically dominate every defender, and that throws challenges at him that he didn't really experience at previous levels of the game. And when he gets hit with that, it shows up in his body language. He's got a head for the game, and he's a capable leader... but he isn't as mentally tough as Wilson - and I think it's due to the fact that Newton has never had to really overcome the same kind of adversity that Wilson has. Newton's size and arm have had people buying into him since he was in middle school; Wilson's had to rely on his work ethic, his determination, and his mental toughness for far longer than Newton has.

In the end, I look at it this way... when he's "on," I don't know that there's a guy who can take over a game like Newton. But that doesn't make you a better QB... it just makes you a guy with special talent. To be a better QB, you have to be able to handle games that have turned against you and turn them back. You have to be able to make everyone around you better. And you have to be able to do that week in and week out... not just when things are going well. That's why I'd take Wilson over Newton.

Excellent post. :th2thumbs:

Throwdown

Reaction score
I just want to say I wanted to punch Baldinger in the throat when he made the Power Forward reference.

Rambitious

Reaction score
hawker84":1v6gdlja said:
I stumbled accross this , sorry if already discussed.. Baldinger and Thomlinson talk about if they were starting a franchise today, who would they pick as their starter, Cam or RW..

They both overwhelmingly picked Cam.. Said he just has more ceiling and is barely scratching the surface talentwise.. went on to say, he has done more with much less.. Where there could be some validity to that, i still say hogwash, RW has leadership skills that Cam will never have, and all the talent in the world won't make up for that.. Just ask Vick.

I also found it interesting it was brought up, that Cam has won 13 games in his first two seasons, RW has won 12 in his first.. But yes with a much better all around team.

Thoughts?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... -or-Newton

To me this is a no brainer at this point anyway.

RW is MUCH better than Cam.....IMHO I believe within five years or so Cam will be traded, benched or cut.

Just my opinion anyway.

Also, hello everyone.
I'm new to your forum.

thanks

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I obviously harbor homerist opinions on this matter.

But realistically, how bad exactly is it, that Wilson is compared legitimately to a #1 overall pick? A good overall #1 pick too. Newton wasn't and isn't a bad QB. He has freakish athletic potential. He's not put together the kind of seasons he's truly capable of.

I wouldn't exactly get my feathers ruffled over this kind of discussion. If Wilson makes a serious playoff run, he'll get all the accolades that some fans thirst for. He is by no means under the radar nationally. There is a lot of anticipation/respect/fear on other fan forums around the league surrounding Mr. Wilson. I think more than anything, people are kind of waiting to see if he can't take the next steps and build on his skills and performance late last season. To see if he may actually be the next great QB.

This is a golden opportunity for Russell to separate himself from the 'potentially great' pack of QBs, and even to separate himself from the 2012 class of QBs. I think there is a great deal of interest outside of Seattle in seeing if he can do precisely that.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Accuracy = Wilson
Pocket Presence = Wilson
Decision Making = Wilson
Arm Strength = Push
Athleticism = Newton

aawolf

Reaction score
WarHawks":eirrycri said:
volsunghawk":eirrycri said:

Excellent post. :th2thumbs:

I'm one of the biggest Wilson fans there is and if choosing who to take, I'd choose Wilson hands down because of his intangibles and because I like him so much. But, I'd be a biased fanboy and my first thought wouldn't be winning the most games. Cam on the Seahawks would have dominated as much or more than Wilson last year. He's not as "clutch", but he would run up the score on everyone with Seahawks recievers and the running game. Look who Cam is throwing the ball to at Carolina: an old Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell (getting better as a possession reciever, but is not a threat) and Greg Olsen (a good, not great, TE). Injuries to Williams and Stewart killed the Panthers all year last year and the running game was far from dominant (a respectable 9th in the NFL). If Cam gets his weapons, look out.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":3b1za1hi said:
I stumbled accross this , sorry if already discussed.. Baldinger and Thomlinson talk about if they were starting a franchise today, who would they pick as their starter, Cam or RW..

They both overwhelmingly picked Cam.. Said he just has more ceiling and is barely scratching the surface talentwise.. went on to say, he has done more with much less.. Where there could be some validity to that, i still say hogwash, RW has leadership skills that Cam will never have, and all the talent in the world won't make up for that.. Just ask Vick.

I also found it interesting it was brought up, that Cam has won 13 games in his first two seasons, RW has won 12 in his first.. But yes with a much better all around team.

Thoughts?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... -or-Newton

OK...even as a Niner fan I think it's a ridiculous argument. Cam Newton may be one of the most physically talented QBs ever to play...but the guy has a 2 cent brain. Total moron.

I mean seriously...the guy got kicked out of Florida for stealing a laptop.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawks46":1jfjspag said:
Simply put, this argument really comes down to, "do you take physical measurables over intangibles?"

In almost every other position, you would go with the physical measurables, especially to the extent that Cam has them.

Problem is, the QB position still is more about being cerebral than physical. More QBs have failed due to lacking intangibles than failing due to lacking athleticism. Montana, Brady, Marino, Fouts. Just a few names of guys that couldn't run out of a shoe box, but tore the league up.

Yes, there is a new breed of QB up and coming in the NFL, but everyone is athletic in the NFL. That's why the game has sped up so fast. Information processing has to be even faster; you can't do that with rocks between your ears no matter how fast your feet are.

Personally, it's beginning to look like Newton's intangibles lack a lot more than Wilson's lack of physical measurables do. I'd go with Wilson; the way he handled last year still amazes me.

I hear where you are coming from...but I just don't think that goes deep enough.

I agree with you that Wilson has the intangibles....

...but Cam is just an idiot. Can't stand him. Didn't want him at draft time. MUCH, MUCH happier with Kaep as you guys are with RW.

Cam to me is Jeff George. SOO impressive as a player, but he'll never amount to anything because of his 2 cent brain.