Can the Vikings upset the 49ers?

Maulbert

Reaction score
I don't think the Vikings are as bad as their record (I don't think they're great, but they're probably a .500 team in reality). The 49ers are going to be down Deebo Samuel, and Christian McCaffrey is questionable. I think the Cleveland game showed that Purdy is only as good as his supporting cast is. If McCaffrey goes, I think the 49ers win. If McCaffrey is out, I'd say the Vikings have a puncher's chance. As good as Purdy has played, it was really the acquisition of McCaffrey that changed the 49ers fortunes last season. They were 3-3 before him, 10-1 after in the regular season.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
The Vikings won a bunch of 1 score games last year. Now they're losing a bunch of one score games this year.

I think they can hang with the 49ers for a while. But if they have any mistakes, they're gonna lose.

knownone

Reaction score
It's tough to say. Cleveland has one of the better defenses of the last decade. So if the Vikings can also contain Purdy, then the Niners have a glaring issue.

toffee

Reaction score
See Lions vs Ravens, down 28-0 at half time. Lions may not be as good a team as 9ers, and Ravens may be better than Vikings, but on any given Sunday, things can happen.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Purdy is just a point guard. Your offense is nothing without McCaffrey.
If that were the case what happened when Purdy went out in NFCCG? The kid has one bad game, still puts a game winning drive together only to have kicker miss and suddenly he's just a point guard. Meantime Hurts 3 throws 3 picks, 2 more than Purdy in just one and loses to jets.

I think this is wishful thinking on your part.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
If that were the case what happened when Purdy went out in NFCCG? The kid has one bad game, still puts a game winning drive together only to have kicker miss and suddenly he's just a point guard. Meantime Hurts 3 throws 3 picks, 2 more than Purdy in just one and loses to jets.

I think this is wishful thinking on your part.
Josh Johnson actively sucked, and then Purdy went back in hurt. I didn't say Purdy was bad. Just that he needs support. He is not capable of carrying a team.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Vikes are 7 point underdogs right now. You never know, Kirk could go off and have a great game, or throw interceptions. I do think that Brock will come down to Earth at some point, like he did against Cleveland.

I think the 7 point spread is a bit large. I wouldn't be surprised to see Vikes make a game of it. The bigger question is can SF keep the train going? Right now, the Eagles look really good, and I think the Eagles have the better all-around quarterback. Right now, Brock is I think, a player that is elevated by those around him. Hurts right now, is elevating those around him.

I do think the Eagles will get past SF again. My eyes tell me that the Eagles are a SB team right now. I'd love for Seattle to be that, but they're not there yet, and Geno is making too many mistakes for the Seahawks to be considered top-tier like the Eagles are.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I don't think the Vikings are as bad as their record (I don't think they're great, but they're probably a .500 team in reality). The 49ers are going to be down Deebo Samuel, and Christian McCaffrey is questionable. I think the Cleveland game showed that Purdy is only as good as his supporting cast is. If McCaffrey goes, I think the 49ers win. If McCaffrey is out, I'd say the Vikings have a puncher's chance. As good as Purdy has played, it was really the acquisition of McCaffrey that changed the 49ers fortunes last season. They were 3-3 before him, 10-1 after in the regular season.
In just my redzone view - I don't think the Vikings are as bad as their record either - I haven't thought that Cousins looked 1/2 bad 1/2 the time. Your assessment of .500 is exactly what I think of them.

Let's hope McCaffrey is out. A double dose of humility is the prescription for Purdy and Co. Oh yea - and MORE COWBELL! ;)

uncle fester

Reaction score
Are we really asking if Cousins can win a prime time game? Without Jefferson? Niners by a mile.
Yeah this is my thought on it too.

Any time you have to rely on another team to do you a favor, it doesn’t end well. (Lions at the end of last season being the exception to the rule)