Can They Afford top Keep Bobby Wagner?

knownone

Reaction score
chris98251":1ekzdlgl said:
Wenhawk":1ekzdlgl said:
Fade":1ekzdlgl said:
They can afford it quite comfortably. They have the most projected 2020 cap space in the NFL.

The actual question should be, is it worth it?

For me I'm still salty over not signing him to a 6 yr extension. These 4 years deals Seattle has done are stupid, and just end up costing you more money. He should still be on the books for 2 more years at $10M per.

I will keep pointing this out every chance I get, as I still can't get over how dumb it is to sign a perennial all-pro in his mid twenties to just a 4 yr extension. The Seahawks do a great job overall managing their cap, but this is the area where they must correct going forward, or this will continue to happen. First Thomas, now Wagner.

Ultimately I would not extend him. I would instead pursue a Jarran Reed 6 yr extension. Then use the Franchise Tag on Wagner next off-season, and look to trade him, or let him play out the season, and get a 3rd round comp pick, which ever value is greater.

I agree with this. I love Bobby but what we did with Clark was Franchise changing move. Bobby could net us multiple picks and save so much. I'm a big BBK believer and Barton may be legit too. I think good LB's can be had so cheap and Bobby may hit a wall or have a major injury any time. He is great but not sure he is Ray Lewis great and KJ who has been almost as good is less than half the price.

I want Bobby to stay but if he wants to be the top MLB at age I will not be mad of JS moves on.

Wright is a injury away from Retirement at this point, in fact he may not make it thru the season with his re occurring Knee issue. Wagner is at a point I think that he is do to start getting the Dings that players get with a lot of Mileage, we have seen it over and over. Sherman, Kam, Avril, Thomas, Bennett, Wright, Baldwin all that nucleus of a defense and key person on offense. They had a lot of extra playing time with our playoff games. More physical also. That piles up and odds catch up with you.

As a Business you have to hedge your bets on a big contract and longevity. Wagner wants one long because this may be his last one, Team wants short but will pay good dollars I am thinking.
That's kind of how I view the situation. I'm sure Seattle would gladly give Bobby a raise this year and 18+ for two aditional years, but I can't see them garuanteeing anything significant past 2 years.

Mick063

Reaction score
Best middle backer in the league, but 17 million is steep.

I would sign him, but make about a third of it guaranteed and only get him to 17 million through incentives. Basically, if he plays like the best in the business, with the numbers and accolades to back it up, he gets the big payday. Otherwise, he gets high end journeyman salary.

Elemas

Reaction score
If all you have to offer is year to year, two year contracts...you're going to end up with players that fit those terms (not a Bobby Wagner).

Hope the Hawks make a respectable offer. If they don't and he bounces, no one to blame but themselves.

Seafan

Reaction score
I don't think the Hawks have to jump to a decision. All the data isn't in. The Hawks could have him for two years. In two years Barton may be ready to go. Let a 32 year old MLB test the market in 2021. If he doesn't like his offers the Hawks could possibly get him back. He could demand a trade before 2021. If Barton is ready they can make that happen.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1133840728486899712[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1133840659213824000[/tweet]

OP
OP
M

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Comforting comments from KJ but this IS the NFL. It sure is going to be an interesting story to watch.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sure they can afford him ..Look at our huge cap space next year and the cap keeps going up so we
can spend it like crazy :sarcasm_on:
Seriously we can afford him RW is only getting 19 million this year and with Kam off
the books..I'm sure we can cover two years easy ..
Give him a four year deal ..BWags is the best and deserves it..

Elemas

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3ewu1xkm said:
Sure they can afford him ..Look at our huge cap space next year and the cap keeps going up so we
can spend it like crazy :sarcasm_on:
Seriously we can afford him RW is only getting 19 million this year and with Kam off
the books..I'm sure we can cover two years easy ..
Give him a four year deal ..BWags is the best and deserves it..

Agreed. This isn't a FA coming off an injury. He's not a guy that had one great season a few years ago and the Hawks are looking at transitioning him into a productive player.

It's Bobby Wagner. How does one even contemplate NOT giving him a multi-year deal after his consistent performance and dedication to this team?

Same for the RW naysayers. Inject some realism back into the equation. You keep guys like this.

Now if you're a Giants fan....disregard.

Tical21

Reaction score
It's scary. He's 28. He looks like there is no doubt he will be an all-pro caliber player for 2-3 years. But that's the thing about 30 year olds. They just get a weird random injury, kind of don't make it back to their level that year, and then their play drops off, seemingly instantly. It's a game of roulette the Seahawks have lost over and over again. There have been a lot of great MLBs (Urlacher, Thomas etc.) who were all-world at 29 and off the cliff at 30. I will not give an opinion either way here. I don't envy them. My thought is two franchise tags. He's in your control until 31. But that will piss him off. He's your leader and you want him IN. Also, we are down to Russ, KJ and Bobby from the Super Bowl team. KJ will be gone soon. Are you perhaps well served to just clean house and start totally fresh? Let someone else lead the next Super Bowl run?

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
They had better. Few players have deserved it more than Bobby to be able to retire a Seahawk. His experience and work ethic (apart from his ROH and HOF play) will serve our future LB's very well.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think one of reasons they moved Clark was to ensure they could have Wags. You can’t afford to pay everyone in this league, but I think it’s paramount that you designate one or two of your offensive and defensive core players that embody your ethos and build around them. He’s the pulse of the defense and our young players need him as we rebuild that elite D.

I will be buying my first “expensive” official jersey the moment he signs. One of my favorite Hawks ever, no glaring weak spots and like Wilson, his best ability is his availability. Also helps he’s a fellow Aggie.

Largent80

Reaction score
Also, they aren't going after McCoy. That says something about money. They obviously could use McCoy.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
McCoy is a meaningless topic. Reed is a 3 tech and so is McCoy and Reed is the better player right now. They can't both play 3 tech at the same time and we also need to shore up run defense at 1 tech so either Reed or McCoy would be on the bench over half the time. McCoy would also be a one year rental, which he probably wants no part of, because you have to pay Reed next year.

Going after McCoy makes zero sense for the Hawks and McCoy as well.

Tical21

Reaction score
Largent80":vhq25upe said:
Also, they aren't going after McCoy. That says something about money. They obviously could use McCoy.
I don't think it has anything to do with money. They have like 25 mil cap space, and nothing to spend it on.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tical21":3bf4tbij said:
Largent80":3bf4tbij said:
I don't think it has anything to do with money. They have like 25 mil cap space, and nothing to spend it on.

Evidently, McCoy is nothing and so far NO team has signed him after a week.

Jville

Reaction score
I appreciated the difficulty of staying on topic and maintaining discipline in refraining from hijacking threads. But, let's rededicate ourselves to that effort. Gerald McCoy has his own dedicated thread here >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154222[/urltargetblank] Let's try and use it.

Back on topic, I fully anticipate a Bobby Wagner contract extension ..... for many of the same reasons the team hammered out a new contract with KJ Wright.

KJ termed it as well as anyone .... "it's a no brainer"

edogg23

Reaction score
If Bobby is truly looking for 17-18 mil a year then why sign him now? Your not getting some discount for signing him early, he is looking for top dollar. You might as well let this year play out and see how he is doing at the end of the year. I think the Seahawks have learned their lesson about giving top dollar third contract extensions a year early (besides qbs who can play till they are 40 in this league).

Now if he is willing to sign for 13-15 mil a year to get that extra security now, then you have a reason to extend him early.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Might his value decrease without a rising star DT in front of him for 37.5% of the season...

McGruff

Reaction score
Own The West":38zojacu said:
Yes, they can afford to keep Bobby Wagner.

And yes, Bobby wants Mosley money. I want Mosley money too.

But the market for LBs is Kuechly, not Mosley. I'm sure Bobby realizes that.

My guess is he signs a deal in the $13M/yr range with guaranteed money drying up in year 3.

Wagner IS the market for linebackers, and he should get more than Mosely.

Anything less is fanwishes.

hawks85

Reaction score
A-Dog":1d6eyfub said:
If the ridiculous Mosley contract didn't happen Bobby would probably already be signed.

It really does throw a monkey wrench in to things.

At this point I would focus on getting Reed signed, and keep the franchise tag open for Bobby. It's a business.
Stupid Jets. Mosley is good but not worth that big contract. Bobby isn't going anywhere despite what this forums says. The guy is a true leader never gets into trouble and is the best LB in the league. The seahawks are going to pay bobby its just a matter of when. Bobby said he wont hold out (another reason he will get paid)

Latest posts