Can we have a do-over and get Golden Tate back?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Donn2390":g3jqlx13 said:
Tech Worlds":g3jqlx13 said:
Wish we still had Tate. He is a play maker.
I think his "play making" is why he is no longer here, and never will be again. Not referring to his on field play making...

Still LMAO at how that stupid rumor will not die. :stirthepot:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tokadub":lyfk236n said:
So Harvin's dead money next year is 7.2 million dollars! That's embarrassing that we are now likely to lose another great player or two for Harvin's dead money... :cry:

But basically we could of easily kept Tate and still had a million or two left over just from Harvins dead money next season... :pukeface:

I can only imagine how great of a position we would be in if we never acquired Harvin and we never lost Tate. But even after acquiring Harvin, I STILL think losing Tate was a blunder of monumental proportions.
Actually given that the Jets seem to be picking up the whole contract it looks like by the best guess of some that know about the how the cap works that we will save 6.5M this year that can be rolled over to next year before the 7.2M cap hit for next year for current cap space of 5.7M next year. And then we're off the hook completely.

razor150

Reaction score
If we had a guy like Megatron to pair Tate with I suppose he might bave been worth keeping. Personally not going to lose any sleep over loss of Tate because he wasn't so good that he wasn't replaceable. We need a true #1 reciever and not a bunch of # 2s and slot guys.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
You're nuts if you don't tihnk percy being here kept us from re-signing tate.

HansGruber

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1gvj2cjs said:
If we are getting Golden back then we can get C.Patterson too from the Vikings ( who they drafted with the 1st pick in the Harvin trade) we could of had both at HALF THE PRICE

All good though. Love John Schneider and his ability to nip a bad mistake in the butt.
No they didn't draft Patterson with the pick, they got some nobody DB who I'm too lazy to look up to remind me of their name.

Further, Patterson has not looked good this season. Has been less productive than Harvin and has had an issue with dropped passes the last few weeks.

HansGruber

Reaction score
drdiags":2y22590q said:
Why would Tate want to be here? The man is getting pass volume like he never would here. He may have wanted to stay at a slight discount, but it probably was a good life lesson for him to see what getting too emotionally attached to things can do. And in the end, one of the best moves he could have made to date.

For the Seahawks, yeah I hate when they pay premium prices for other peoples player development. They should steer clear of WR on the trade and FA markets. They aren't perfect and we will see how understanding Paul Allen is for some of the contracts torn up around here. The SB gave them some leeway but it has got to be tough going forward for the FO to get Paul to sign off on some new player acquisition.
Paul Allen has no involvement with player acquisition. He leaves all decisions to Schneider and Carroll.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawk45":1utf4z1d said:
Tate also won entire games by himself like the Rams twice last year, taking a beating in the process. Tate's contributions towards the SB were critical and not replaced on this team as of yet.

And he almost single-handedly lost the Saints playoff game by dropping the onside kick at the end of the game. If we had lost, Tate would get all the blame. After doing just about nothing for the Offense in that game.

It goes both ways. He had good games and he had bad games.

hawk45

Reaction score
HawkFan72":22avzgmx said:
hawk45":22avzgmx said:
Tate also won entire games by himself like the Rams twice last year, taking a beating in the process. Tate's contributions towards the SB were critical and not replaced on this team as of yet.

And he almost single-handedly lost the Saints playoff game by dropping the onside kick at the end of the game. If we had lost, Tate would get all the blame. After doing just about nothing for the Offense in that game.

It goes both ways. He had good games and he had bad games.

So a WR must be heavily involved in *every* game to be a large contributor to a team whose production we should be worried about replacing? That goes against the nature of the position.

Is the argument here seriously that Tate wasn't a very large contributor to our offense last year?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hawks46":kwfve608 said:
I think people are over valuing Tate.

He was a good WR, and a great punt returner (which is where I do miss him). He did have a tendency to disappear during games and during the playoffs. The one thing he was good at, was burning the Rams. We'll have to find a new Ram burner.

And he was a terrific, physical blocker.

And an elite punt returner.

And incredible with the ball in his hands.

And he had the best hands in the NFL over 2012-2013.

Sorry, dude. You're undervaluing Tate. A lot.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3dk5d2l3 said:
Still LMAO at how that stupid rumor will not die. :stirthepot:

The Ashton rumor is beside the point. In February of 2014, Harvin was in Seattle's long term plans, and when he punched Tate in the face and allegedly body slammed him, that decided things. There are also accounts of Wilson and Tate having a strained relationship during this time. The Ashton rumor may very well be false (and I really mean that)... but the Hawks locker room was no longer welcoming for Tate, and the latter part is the one that ultimately matters to a PC/JS.

I miss Tate a ton. It really bothered me seeing him leave for a reasonable amount of money. They could have easily budgeted Tate in, but made no real effort to keep him, even though he was a homegrown player they were very high on. For football reasons it made zero sense, especially since they didn't even have a real plan in place to replace him on punts before he left. There isn't a viable explanation for letting him go other than the locker room element.

I've been at a few jobs where I've seen gossiping get out of control and hurt people, even cost them their jobs. Whether the rumor is true or not, it seems fairly obvious to me that Tate suffered because of chatter in the locker room.

kearly

Reaction score
nanomoz":4ficnh2g said:
And he was a terrific, physical blocker.

And an elite punt returner.

And incredible with the ball in his hands.

And he had the best hands in the NFL over 2012-2013.

Sorry, dude. You're undervaluing Tate. A lot.

Sometimes a player can be a total stud without having to be a #1 WR or the 'missing piece' of an offense. Tate was the epitome of such a player.

bigwrm

Reaction score
HansGruber":1qv2km15 said:
No they didn't draft Patterson with the pick, they got some nobody DB who I'm too lazy to look up to remind me of their name.

From what I've heard, Xavier Rhodes has looked pretty promising this year. Also, Jerick Mckinnon (who they got with the 3rd rounder from the trade) has taken over the starting job from Asiata and is looking good.

But the success of the Vikings draft picks shouldn't have any bearing on how the trade is evaluated. Even if they were all to end up being busts, it wouldn't make the trade any more of a success on our end. For one thing, we wouldn't have selected those same players if we had kept the picks instead.

The fact is, we overpaid for Percy. The Vikings wanted to dump him and didn't have any leverage, but were lucky enough to get Seattle into a desperate bidding war with the 49ers. In retrospect, the price we paid for Percy is pretty crazy given that fact that we immediately signed him to a market-value contract.