Can we talk Bevell?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It is well known that I've been, and still am, a Bevell detractor. It took him until we had 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter to dial up a quick passing game. We were down THREE starting O-linemen going into a 10am road game against a good opponent with a VERY good defense. Why in the hell wasn't he ready to start the quick passing game at a moment's notice?

Yes, I am frustrated with our offensive coordinator. He's freaking fully CAPABLE of being great at his job because he's FORCED to do it in the second half of almost every damned game. Why he screws around for the first half or even more sometimes before doing his JOB well is honestly a riddle to me, and I'm glad more people are seeing it. No, this isn't me bragging, or saying "I told you so" to anybody. I'm just glad the anti-Bevell Bandwagon's gaining members is all.

Our elite-as-hell defense is the only reason we're getting away with screwing around on offense like this and going down early against good teams. We can't keep it up; we will not make it through the playoffs and win a Lombardi short of a miracle of it continues.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Don't get too excited, iRo. There's a few in this thread who thought the hire was poor, but have learned to accept and appreciate his strengths.

I.e., he's getting better. He had a learning curve.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":22za6mpm said:
It is well known that I've been, and still am, a Bevell detractor. It took him until we had 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter to dial up a quick passing game. We were down THREE starting O-linemen going into a 10am road game against a good opponent with a VERY good defense. Why in the hell wasn't he ready to start the quick passing game at a moment's notice?

Yes, I am frustrated with our offensive coordinator. He's freaking fully CAPABLE of being great at his job because he's FORCED to do it in the second half of almost every damned game. Why he screws around for the first half or even more sometimes before doing his JOB well is honestly a riddle to me, and I'm glad more people are seeing it. No, this isn't me bragging, or saying "I told you so" to anybody. I'm just glad the anti-Bevell Bandwagon's gaining members is all.

Our elite-as-hell defense is the only reason we're getting away with screwing around on offense like this and going down early against good teams. We can't keep it up; we will not make it through the playoffs and win a Lombardi short of a miracle of it continues.

You're not even reading the thread. We do quick swings quite a bit. RB outlets are there. Some fairly quick outs are in there, and some crossing routes to Tate as well. Where else do you want him to go, right over the middle to the chipping tight end? If Wilson does have a blind spot, that's exactly where it's going to be. Same with a lot of quick slants.

It's fairly obvious, from the fact that Wilson's success usually doesn't come until he starts moving, that his height is a handicap on the playbook. He's making it work. We're now 4-0 with plenty of other places to look for faults on this team. I don't see what the urgency is over wanting Bevell replaced.

If there is one criticism I have, it's the same thing voiced by someone else already in this thread - that Bevell spends too many plays setting up the back-breaking long bomb and looks silly if it doesn't happen. It's actually faintly Mike Martz-like.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":216h4lho said:
Don't get too excited, iRo. There's a few in this thread who thought the hire was poor, but have learned to accept it.

I didn't think the hire was poor when it happened. I'm not claiming to be some savant, or the first, despite what you may think based on the attitude toward my opinion of Bevell from BFS and Montana. It's just something I've come to realize/believe, starting somewhere around the middle of last year.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":dn8yiqts said:
RolandDeschain":dn8yiqts said:

You're not even reading the thread. We do quick swings quite a bit. RB outlets are there. Some fairly quick outs are in there, and some crossing routes to Tate as well. Where else do you want him to go, right over the middle to the chipping tight end? If Wilson does have a blind spot, that's exactly where it's going to be. Same with a lot of quick slants.

It's fairly obvious, from the fact that Wilson's success usually doesn't come until he starts moving, that Wilson's height is a handicap on the playbook. He's making it work.

Ehh...they've called and completed slants before and they've completed passes down the middle of the field. I see how they might not be the fav of the playbook given the height, but I'm not convinced they just can't be thrown. I'd have liked to have seen more attempts in a game like today's with the sucking wound that was the OL.

We did some quick swings but it seemed like it took a half of football to get to them. I think that was Roland's complaint. Bevell CAN call plays like a sane person, he just doesn't in the beginning of games, preferring to go for the kill shot as he twirls his mustache because the opponents won't expect it. Well yeah they won't expect it, it's nuts, your QB doesn't have the protection for those plays.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ajuuvp3d said:
It's fairly obvious, from the fact that Wilson's success usually doesn't come until he starts moving, that his height is a handicap on the playbook.

I don't get it. You understand this, and you don't advocate for play calling to match. Why don't we just have Wilson take the snap and immediately roll to a side to hit a quick slant? He's fast, he can just skate around the whole damn line and get rid of the ball before anybody can possibly get to it. I mean, there are a lot of potential ways we COULD use him and his quick feet when the O-line's not doing its job well.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":aakt2dk3 said:
MontanaHawk05":aakt2dk3 said:
It's fairly obvious, from the fact that Wilson's success usually doesn't come until he starts moving, that his height is a handicap on the playbook.

I don't get it. You understand this, and you don't advocate for play calling to match. Why don't we just have Wilson take the snap and immediately roll to a side to hit a quick slant? He's fast, he can just skate around the whole damn line and get rid of the ball before anybody can possibly get to it. I mean, there are a lot of potential ways we COULD use him and his quick feet when the O-line's not doing its job well.

Moving pockets also require a lot of O-line talent. I think Bevell was very constricted today by our injury situation.

And I suppose I'm not sure about this, but it feels like a quick slant isn't something you try after a half-rollout. It's a drop-plant-boom kind of play, split-second timing. Otherwise a second defender has time to roll up to the receiver's zone.

Also, remember that Wilson's pinball scrambling isn't exactly conducive to clean play by the O-line. Once he takes off, they have no idea where he's going and their blocking protocols probably go to hell. Wilson's greatest area of strength, throwing on the run, is also a big risk for holding penalties.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
MontanaHawk05":1cdpbiim said:
Also, remember that Wilson's pinball scrambling isn't exactly conducive to clean play by the O-line. Once he takes off, they have no idea where he's going and their blocking protocols probably go to hell. Wilson's greatest area of strength, throwing on the run, is also a big risk for holding penalties.

Designed rollouts minimize this risk, though.

We need to move the pocket WAY more for Wilson, IMO. I will concede that we had OL problems due to injury, but if we are running Carpenter and Sweezy out there at the guard positions, I like to think that two guys who have started extensively on the OL can execute these rollouts on offense.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It's true that designed rollouts were at a premium today, but that hasn't been a consistent problem yet. It's also true that Bevell had Wilson pass only five times in the first half. Injury issues were at the forefront of his mind today.

A lot of folks view rollouts simply as a way to bypass the need for protection. In reality, they're a fairly low-percentage option as they cut the QB's field in half, and thus his options. Rollouts aren't something you want to be doing all the time.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":31xlyhq1 said:
Moving pockets also require a lot of O-line talent. I think Bevell was very constricted today by our injury situation.

No, no, no; I'm not talking about moving the pocket. I'm talking about just having Wilson flat-out leave the pocket the instant he takes the snap.

Also, Wilson is sort of an exception to the traditional problems with doing this kind of a thing. He throws nearly as well on the run as he does from the pocket. That's a HUGE benefit, enjoyed by zero other starting QBs in the league. We should take advantage of it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Well, again, if he does that, he loses half his receiving options.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Against SF and Jax, he ditched the run game too soon. The Seahawks OL needs surprise to assist their pass protection, just as much as Wilson needs another count or two to find his receivers. The Seahawks passing game will rarely be an impose its will type attack. It's going to work ONLY after setting up a defense.

That's my gripe with Bevell.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":n7jsbsfh said:
Well, again, if he does that, he loses half his receiving options.
That happens anyways when he has to start running all over the place from pressure, which he was doing what FELT like 90% of his passing snaps today. What's the difference?

The point is it'd be a pre-designed play meant most likely for a specific person for that particular play, and I'm not talking about doing it for every damn pass, but it feels like it could work well with our team. What do we have to lose in trying it, anyways?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2w2gfajm said:
I realize that we're not built for short passing, but it's almost like dude's allergic to quick slants or something.

Quick slants just aren't in Wilson's game, and I doubt they ever will be -- might be his height or over-the-top delivery. T-Jack threw slants last week and in the pre-season, so I don't think the lack of them now is a Bevell issue. That being said, I can more than live with this because of all the other AWESOME that Wilson brings to the table.

As to the topic, I thought Bevell did fine considering the circumstances. Lot of nice plays to get Marshawn in space. We were handcuffed by our weak O-Line, and this was the #2 defense in the NFL. Going in, I didn't think we'd be able to do anything but run and hopefully score on ST/defense. Not bad, all considered.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":10c1ap5r said:
JSeahawks":10c1ap5r said:
More play action pass please.

We have to establish the run first, though. Which honestly has been hard for us as our run-blocking has been not so great. We have to have better run blocking overall so that teams fear the run and bite hard on PA.

NOT TRUE. Especially to start games, the run games been there.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":23ux6cp6 said:
JSeahawks":23ux6cp6 said:

We have to establish the run first, though. Which honestly has been hard for us as our run-blocking has been not so great. We have to have better run blocking overall so that teams fear the run and bite hard on PA.

Even if the running game isn't going great we still have a reputation of being a run first team. They've still got to respect the play fake (and did today the few times we did it).

I'd also like to see them chuck the football deep more often. Our WR's are excellent at making plays in the air on those deep balls.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Brees is the same height and throws quick slants all the time...not buying the argument.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
pehawk":1x2748le said:
Smelly McUgly":1x2748le said:
JSeahawks":1x2748le said:

NOT TRUE. Especially to start games, the run games been there.

Against SF and CAR, I don't recall the run game being there from the beginning being true. However, you have a point about JAX and HOU.