Can we talk Bevell?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sf it certainly was true. Lynch was getting yards.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
austinslater25":1w1u818x said:
Brees is the same height and throws quick slants all the time...not buying the argument.

Brees has the O-line talent to handle the throwing lanes and better receivers than we do. Give Wilson that kind of surrounding cast and he would be throwing more slants as well, but it's pretty rare and Pete wants his O-linemen run-blocking.

kearly

Reaction score
I hesitate to second guess play calls, but the last call of this game by Bevell might have been the worst of his career. It's 3rd and 1 from the 27 yard line where you already have close to a 90% chance to win the game even if you run for no gain, and he calls a 2 yard pass that is almost intercepted. If it had been intercepted, and Seattle had lost, can you imagine the reaction? I don't even want to think about it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":28jsfq1s said:
If it had been intercepted, and Seattle had lost, can you imagine the reaction? I don't even want to think about it.

Good. You shouldn't be thinking about it. You should be writing your Random Thoughts.

RANDOM THOUGHTS!!! :)

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":27g5q2dr said:
I hesitate to second guess play calls, but the last call of this game by Bevell might have been the worst of his career. It's 3rd and 1 from the 27 yard line where you already have close to a 90% chance to win the game even if you run for no gain, and he calls a 2 yard pass that is almost intercepted. If it had been intercepted, and Seattle had lost, can you imagine the reaction? I don't even want to think about it.

Uggh' I just got deja vu reliving that call.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
kearly":2igc63ww said:

Meh, and if it worked no one would have said a thing. If we ran and were stopped for a 2 yard loss, his play-calling would have been unimaginative.

Overall, our offense is hurting. When you are a run first team who has three offensive line starters out and no WRs that remotely scare the opposing defense (which was the #2 defense in the league), I am reticent to focus on play-calling when the problem lies in talent. I don't think any level of guru-ness can make up for a non-existent pocket.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I know I just chalked every play with a full back up as no gain pre snap. And was often wrong, it was usually a loss.

The Texans seemingly send 5 every snap, and were camping on play action.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2pa9wtmu said:
I don't think any level of guru-ness can make up for a non-existent pocket.

Yet, Bevell does this in the second half of almost every game. He dials up much more effective plays and we drive down the field better. So......

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1afw1cq6 said:
kearly":1afw1cq6 said:

Meh, and if it worked no one would have said a thing. If we ran and were stopped for a 2 yard loss, his play-calling would have been unimaginative.

Overall, our offense is hurting. When you are a run first team who has three offensive line starters out and no WRs that remotely scare the opposing defense (which was the #2 defense in the league), I am reticent to focus on play-calling when the problem lies in talent. I don't think any level of guru-ness can make up for a non-existent pocket.

Actually, no, I wouldn't have said that. I'd been content with a run.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Today I think he called one of his worst games as OC .. and Wilson literally willed this team within striking distance for the D to make a play.

It was apparent from the first play that the Texans were going to blitz.. and blitz.. and blitz.. and with a makeshift line, the best way to counter that is by running the ball or working on quick passes and screens.

Instead he had Wilson drop back and chuck deep passes, didn't run read-option until the 4th .. etc.

And I agree with pehawk, his play-calling has been pretty meh for a lot of the year so far. Even with the OL issues, there are things we can do to at least minimize the damage.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I understand Lynch still being good and us wanting to establish runs. But we don't always have to run on first down to establish the run. We can make those short throws (crossing routes) or simply lateral passes to our WRs and let them get the 4-5 yards on first down.
Our plays are simply too predictable. We go long stretches without first downs ... we always need to wait for the second half to see a different team show up.
Yes, we are good at closing games. But we need to stop those slow starts.

hidn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1c2k7yu1 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":1c2k7yu1 said:

Yet, Bevell does this in the second half of almost every game. He dials up much more effective plays and we drive down the field better. So......

I think I'm in the opposite camp here than you guys.

The Defenses we have faced have been cheating up to take away the faster developing routes because they are getting pressure without having to blitz. Normally when a defense does this, you drive the ball down the field, but Russel doesn't have enough time to make them pay for this strategy.

The only way that the short passes that you guys want will happen is if we can stretch the field and make them back off. You can only do that if you have time for routes to develop.

You guys all know that the Seahawk's sell out to stop the deep plays. We constantly give up the short passes in exchange to ensure that they don't get those big 20-30 yard plays on us. It's Pete's defensive philosophy. What we saw today was the defense selling out to stop the short game and counting on the DL to stop the big hitters.

tl;dr: Houstons gameplan was to shut down our quicker developing routes. The Seahawks couldn't make them pay for this because of the OL issues.

hidn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qdk99cz said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":1qdk99cz said:

I think I'm in the opposite camp here than you guys.

The Defenses we have faced have been cheating up to take away the faster developing routes because they are getting pressure without having to blitz. Normally when a defense does this, you drive the ball down the field, but Russel doesn't have enough time to make them pay for this strategy.

The only way that the short passes that you guys want will happen is if we can stretch the field and make them back off. You can only do that if you have time for routes to develop.

You guys all know that the Seahawk's sell out to stop the deep plays. We constantly give up the short passes in exchange to ensure that they don't get those big 20-30 yard plays on us. It's Pete's defensive philosophy. What we saw today was the defense selling out to stop the short game and counting on the DL to stop the big hitters.

tl;dr: Houstons gameplan was to shut down our quicker developing routes. The Seahawks couldn't make them pay for this because of the OL issues.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hidn":34uzvr4d said:

Uh, not really. Remember Tom Brady getting like 9,273 yards dinking and dunking against us last year? We still won, but he marched all over our offense with short, quick passes of all kinds. A lot.

TravTex

Reaction score
Bev needs to hurry up and invent the Fake Screen Quick Slant. Get those tall scary linemen out of the WAY so our QBling can pitch quick shots over the middle!

Reaction score
This maybe crazy to say, but maybe, maybe T-Jack and Russell holding the ball forever in the pocket is just an outcome due to the Bevell playbook? Seems odd to me that BOTH qbs have a tendency to hold the ball forever, so, maybe it isn't them, it's the playbook.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
I hate Bevel, he sucked ass as a Viking and he is sucking ass as a Hawk. Always feellike our offense has success in spite of his terrible play calling.

BamKam

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what plays DB called today with our O-Line getting MURDERED. We are so banged up/thin there and we had to face the best pass rush in the league. They were running through us like tissue paper.

Once we get healthy again and this sort of stagnant offense continues then I will start to question him.

I am just glad to be 4-0 after this AWFUL injury bug we have been plagued by. Last year we got lucky and avoided it for most of the year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
That's like blaming the car for rear-ending someone, Missoula. Who do you think controls what plays are in the playbook? Lol.

Also, check this out. We rank 24th in the league for offensive points scored in the first half at 8.8 points. We AVERAGE 8.8 points scored in the entire first half this season, including today's game.

How do we rank in offensive scoring for second halves this year, you ask? Glad you brought it up. We're 2nd in the league at 17.8, behind only Denver.

Talk about a ridiculous differential.

Laloosh

Reaction score
MissoulaHawkFan":1hviz6f7 said:
This maybe crazy to say, but maybe, maybe T-Jack and Russell holding the ball forever in the pocket is just an outcome due to the Bevell playbook? Seems odd to me that BOTH qbs have a tendency to hold the ball forever, so, maybe it isn't them, it's the playbook.

When Pete said we want to be the best at blocking for a scrambling QB, it was apparent that they were planning to hold the ball a bit. Still think Russell needs more options to avoid blitzes but it is what it is.