Canales to panthers.. why didn’t we even interview him?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anyone find it a little odd we didn’t even bring him in for an interview? Since we have history with him Schneider must have known he wasn’t the guy here.. idk
Not really. There were 8 teams in the market for a head coach this season. That means that there are going to be a lot of HC candidates flying under a given team's radar.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He was in the building and they didn't hire him as OC so must be something they don't see as a fit here. Does seem a little odd though?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Didn’t we not even bring in slowik for a 2nd interview?
Not sure. Just seems like more complaining and assumptions going on than just seeing how this plays out.

It's really easy for us fans to just assume a guy is the right choice. Well, if they don't mesh with John or he doesn't feel like the guy is a fit, so be it.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Anyone find it a little odd we didn’t even bring him in for an interview? Since we have history with him Schneider must have known he wasn’t the guy here.. idk
I thought Canales was gonna get promoted to OC after Bevell got canned & possibly succeed Carroll as HC too later on, I remember Carroll spoke very highly of him. To this day I have no idea why that never happened.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
I thought Canales was gonna get promoted to OC after Bevell got canned & possibly succeed Carroll as HC too later on, I remember Carroll spoke very highly of him. To this day I have no idea why that never happened.
Maybe Carroll felt so strongly that Canales could eventually come for his job that this was the reason. PC didn't seem like he was interested in setting up any kind of internal succession plan for after he was finished.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's really easy for us fans to just assume a guy is the right choice. Well, if they don't mesh with John or he doesn't feel like the guy is a fit, so be it.
I agree. There's more to it than the paper resume that we all look at. That's why they have in person interviews. I suspect that's one of the reasons why Eric Bienemy hasn't landed a HC job, that he doesn't interview well.

It's a little off topic, but just before I graduated from college, the business department had a noncredit class that included how to behave in job interviews, things like don't be more than 10 minutes early for your appointment, don't chew gum (how did Pete pass that one?), that it's better to say I don't know than guess and be wrong, etc.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Panthers got a good one. Not our guy, but good hire.
I'm really curious to see what Canales can do now that he's got his opportunity to be a head coach. I always liked him. If anyone can "fix" Bryce Young, it's him. I just hope he can succeed in spite of the ownership in Carolina.

Scout

Reaction score
Canales will do well to restore the Panthers offense. But if Evero leaves the building that team is taking 3 steps backwards.

toffee

Reaction score
So, Canales to the Panthers, Johnson targeted by Commanders. When it comes to offensive minded candidates, we don't have many to pick from??

bigcc

Reaction score
Maybe Carroll felt so strongly that Canales could eventually come for his job that this was the reason. PC didn't seem like he was interested in setting up any kind of internal succession plan for after he was finished.
I honestly can't tell if you and the people who liked this are serious or not.

1. It's absolutely ludicrous to assume that carroll dampened the coaching staff in a move to secure his future vs the teams, give me a break

2. Carroll didn't have a succession plan because no coaches do. They hire the people they think is best for the job under whatever financial restraints. No coach is hiring assistants based on whether they're going to be replaced and hope it's the right guy for the job 🙄.

3. Carroll didn't have a succession plan because he wasn't planning on retiring, he would have come back.

I can't believe I even have to say this about by far the best coach in seahawks history and a borderline hall of fame coach.

bigcc

Reaction score
So, Canales to the Panthers, Johnson targeted by Commanders. When it comes to offensive minded candidates, we don't have many to pick from??
If it's offense in mind, Ben hasn't been hired yet, there's slowik and frank Smith, and we've interviewed Kafka twice 🤮