Canales to panthers.. why didn’t we even interview him?

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I honestly can't tell if you and the people who liked this are serious or not.

1. It's absolutely ludicrous to assume that carroll dampened the coaching staff in a move to secure his future vs the teams, give me a break

2. Carroll didn't have a succession plan because no coaches do. They hire the people they think is best for the job under whatever financial restraints. No coach is hiring assistants based on whether they're going to be replaced and hope it's the right guy for the job 🙄.

3. Carroll didn't have a succession plan because he wasn't planning on retiring, he would have come back.

I can't believe I even have to say this about by far the best coach in seahawks history and a borderline hall of fame coach.
Not true. Arians stepped down and pretty much named his successor in Tampa Bay. In New England, the successor was named in a contract.

bigcc

Reaction score
Not true. Arians stepped down and pretty much named his successor in Tampa Bay. In New England, the successor was named in a contract.
You're technically right (the best kind of right), but that was an extremely unique position between the health issues and short brady run.

I'm not sure what you mean about mayo having a contract, I don't think bill had anything to do with that outside of hiring his former player in the staff, not the first time he'd done so

Doesn't mean that he's hiring them to be his successor lol, bill hired people he knew he could work with that he thought were capable for the job

bileever

Reaction score
I would have liked us to at least talk to Canales and take a serious look at him. He's done wonders with RW, Geno, and now Baker Mayfield. He goes way back with Pete, all the way back to his USC days.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
I honestly can't tell if you and the people who liked this are serious or not.

1. It's absolutely ludicrous to assume that carroll dampened the coaching staff in a move to secure his future vs the teams, give me a break

2. Carroll didn't have a succession plan because no coaches do. They hire the people they think is best for the job under whatever financial restraints. No coach is hiring assistants based on whether they're going to be replaced and hope it's the right guy for the job 🙄.

3. Carroll didn't have a succession plan because he wasn't planning on retiring, he would have come back.

I can't believe I even have to say this about by far the best coach in seahawks history and a borderline hall of fame coach.
Wasn't 100% serious and apparently "having a little fun" with topics has been sucked out of the forum. But thank you for the absolute truth you've offered up in your in-depth analysis and support of PC.

I'm not sure many would argue with the point that he's a HOF coach and the best the Seahawks have had.

However I do like your use of thoughts as ludicrous so I'll borrow it as I question and describe PC's decision-making ability in the assistants he chose to promote from within and hang on to (see Hurtt) and those he chose not to give a chance to (see Canales).

bigcc

Reaction score
Wasn't 100% serious and apparently "having a little fun" with topics has been sucked out of the forum. But thank you for the absolute truth you've offered up in your in-depth analysis and support of PC.

I'm not sure many would argue with the point that he's a HOF coach and the best the Seahawks have had.

However I do like your use of thoughts as ludicrous so I'll borrow it as I question and describe PC's decision-making ability in the assistants he chose to promote from within and hang on to (see Hurtt) and those he chose not to give a chance to (see Canales).
That's why I prefaced my comment with not knowing if you were serious or not, my bad, but people have been calling Pete a bad coach for years and it really rubs me the wrong way.

I completely agree with you about assistant choices though, I think Pete is/was a brilliant HC, but some of the staff choices were.... Underwhelming to say the least

I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole lol

BASF

Reaction score
It may be as simple as Canales telling JS that he didn't want to be the one to replace his very long time friend. It may also be that he does not want to work for the organization if he feels they did his friend wrong.

sc85sis

Reaction score
He was in the building and they didn't hire him as OC so must be something they don't see as a fit here. Does seem a little odd though?
If I had to guess, I’d say Pete told him to get experience with another staff to help him become more well-rounded as a coach.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It may be as simple as Canales telling JS that he didn't want to be the one to replace his very long time friend. It may also be that he does not want to work for the organization if he feels they did his friend wrong.

Wouldn’t Quinn feel the same way? I think it’s more likely Seattle didn’t think he was a good fit. Pete didn’t hire him as the OC and hired Waldron instead. For some unknown reason they just don’t feel like it’s a fit.

Jville

Reaction score

............. very interesting development.

Jville

Reaction score
Dave Canales hiring was smart and well earned. He spent many many years immersed in a Pete Carroll culture. I wish him all the best in bringing what is now the Dave Canales culture to Carolina.

“He’s a great teacher. He knows the game. He understands the game. He can help guys develop and help them develop faster,” Smith said.
“A phenomenal coach who loves ball, loves people, he loves to coach, loves to teach. He’s patient. He’s understanding. And also, he’s a guy who’s ever-evolving. He understands that you got to continue to improve. So, he’s the guy who’s going to focus on the process, not just the result. And I think that process is daily improvement. And I think that’ll help any organization or any player.” --- per Geno Smith

Link >>> https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/1/2...words-dave-canales-carolina-panthers-nfl-news

Jville

Reaction score

soxhawk

Reaction score
I'd imagine they want someone with a little more experience and seasoning as he was just a first year OC.

Canales might be great, but he's gonna have some rough years to start out.

Perhaps JS doesn't have that long of a leash to work with here. My guess is we are waiting on either McDonald or Johnson, and if they don't impress, they have Quinn in the back pocket. Still personally hoping for Vrabel, though. Weird that he hasn't been interviewed. Maybe he won't go anywhere without the control of personnel decisions...

Jville

Reaction score
It's a story of interest unfolding in Carolina ...............

But from talking to the people who know both, there are shared characteristics with Morgan that go beyond the shared employer.
Like the Panthers' new GM, he's known in the business for his willingness to start at the bottom and work his way up.
Canales signed up to be an assistant strength coach at Southern Cal under Pete Carroll and left his native Southern California to become his receivers coach in Seattle in 2010. It was an unknown area and a new responsibility for Canales.
That same year, Morgan joined the Seahawks as a scouting intern, the guy who picks players up at the airport, as he began a journey that led the former first-round linebacker to the GM's office.
These two have never been afraid of the work. And now they get to start on it again together.

Why the Panthers chose Dave Canales >>> https://www.panthers.com/news/why-the-panthers-chose-dave-canales

Gdnjgaikzthjwdkul1vj

"From the very first moment I met him," Smith said Friday, speaking to local reporters about the Panthers' newest head coach. "I actually took a visit to Seattle and had a chance to sit down with Dave prior to me signing. Just the way that he talked, just the way that he approached things, the calmness of his demeanor, that's something that's important in a highly stressful business."​

Geno Smith: Dave Canales has "the right energy, the right mindset" >>> https://www.panthers.com/news/geno-smith-dave-canales-has-the-right-energy-the-right-mindset

Octtgo3fujwzkd2vras9

So ...... is Canales quarterback whisperer?

"When it comes to his relationship with the quarterback with Bryce, he's a guy who has been around a lot of great quarterbacks, and he knows how to coach him. He's coached some really good quarterbacks, and he has a system, he has a style," Smith said. "He knows exactly what he wants done and how he wants it done and he's going to get Bryce to do that through repetition, through practice. Through meeting time in the classroom and the film room. I think that's going to pay off a bunch for Bryce because he's already, I think, a talented quarterback. And I think having Dave is going to help him become even better." --- Geno Smith

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Nothing about the Tampa offense said "this guy is a must interview"