Cardinals @ 9ers

94Smith

Reaction score
bigskydoc":14xa7elr said:
is the exact thing that I think they generally avoided last year.

Like losing our kicker and best player before a key divisional rival game and then having the replacement kicker shank the game winning fg?

Washington49er

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2r59zcss said:
He might be referring to my comment that the NFCW is a 2-horse race.

KM is a poor man's LJ, not a poor man's RW. Unfortunately for him, he plays in the NFCW, not the AFCN. The Seahawks have the horses, and the experience with running QBs to shut him down. Niners? Maybe. Yet to be seen. Rams? They are going to give him fits.

He doesn't have the arm to keep the pressure off, and he can be made one dimensional with disciplined defensive play.

I don't think that letting Sanders go was a mistake. Poorly timed injuries did impact this game for them, but there was no way to predict that when they let him go. Getting them back won't make JG suddenly into a top tier QB, but it will help.

This is the exact kind of situation that I feel they were, mostly, able to avoid last year. Every team has injuries. Every team has injuries to key players during the year. Losing 3/4 or your main receivers, right before playing a key rival, is the exact thing that I think they generally avoided last year.

Bingo!

94Smith

Reaction score
No doubt the Seahawks had injury woes last year especially at RB, but to say the 49ers did not have key injuries is just downright wrong. Our starting two tackles were out for several games at the same time! Kwon Alexander was out with a torn biceps and played the Super Bowl with it. Juice was out several games and is our key blocker in the run game. Kittle, our best player, was out several games. Lots of guys on IR. Our starting centre on IR. Dee Ford missed a boat load of games. Tartt was out a lot of games. We did not get "lucky" with injuries we just had good depth. Unfortunately right now receiver is a place we do not have good depth and I think that is the difference.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like KJ dropping an easy game winning interception by pretty boy? Followed by excuses from the Niners fans?
Yet, when Hollister was MUGGED in the end zone, we were told to not make excuses for losing the division that night. Seems legit

chris98251

Reaction score
Jeez the 49ers are in mid season form of the excuse train already.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
We are never going to agree on the injury thing, so I'll leave it with this. Admittedly, I'm trolling a bit, but within every good troll is an element of truth.

Part of my reasoning is that I'm talking about a very small difference of 1 to 2 games in a season. I think the Niners were in that 2 games below average area last year. Their biggest losses, IMHO, were McGinley, and Gould.

The more controversial part will be my opinion that the loss of Staley was not significant. I'm not taking away from his legacy when I say that I really don't think he was playing at the same level the last couple of years, granted we didn't even get to see 2 full games before the injury last season.

Another reason that plays into the 2-Horse race is uncommon opponents. AZ gets Detroit and Carolina, arguably the 2 worst teams in the NFC. SF is already a game back, and gets, arguably, the 2 best teams in the NFC, Saints, and Packers. Price of success. The Seahawks are already 1-0 against their uncommons, Atlanta and Minnesota.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
chris98251":3hhm5fko said:
Jeez the 49ers are in mid season form of the excuse train already.

They should be. The season is slipping away from them already. LOL

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":338pt01s said:
OrangeGravy":338pt01s said:
I still think one of these games in the next couple seasons, Lamar is gonna get whacked hard and lose a knee or get concussed. Little guys like Murray are too slippery to get a good lick on

The thing with Kyler and Lamar is that they are not sustainable at their present game. When you take off with the ball and take off that QB proteciton, you're exponentially increasing the risk of injury to yourself. Plus that confuses DCs for like maybe two seasons max.

It happened to Colin Kaepernick. He simply could not adapt b/c the whole reason he was elevated was his running and for that time, confusing DCs. It lasted for maybe two years before the Hawks figured it out.

The only mobile QB that has gained success over time is Russell Wilson, and that is because he has adapted to the pocket and throws accurately. Those skills are what makes him valuable as opposed to the running down the field he did back in 2013.
I haven't seen much of Murray, but I'm still not sold on Lamar being able to pass the ball at the level required when his legs aren't over the top scary. His passing success is singularly due to the run threat. He spent all last season throwing to guys that didn't have a defender within 10 yards of them and up the seam mostly. He sucks outside the numbers and still can't throw in tight windows. To his credit, thus far, he hasn't had to. But one day defenses won't have to sell out on him and the play action stuff. When that happens, he's done unless he figures it out. The only question in my mind is how many seasons will that take.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1bw8dve1 said:
Like KJ dropping an easy game winning interception by pretty boy? Followed by excuses from the Niners fans?
Yet, when Hollister was MUGGED in the end zone, we were told to not make excuses for losing the division that night. Seems legit

Wasn't that in the first Niners-Seattle game? The Hawks won that game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Look, bottom line, we can disagree all we want on injuries, etc.

What happened on Sunday, to me is this...

...the 49ers were dominating the game early. The average yards per play was like 8.5 to 3.

Everything changed on the blocked punt. Then they missed 4th and goal form the 1. The 49ers let the Cardinals stick around and the game stayed close. It could VERY EASILY have been 17-0 instead of 10-7.

Then the O went stagnant. Alot of that was Jimmy. Alot of that was the WRs. Alot of that was just being out of Sync. Alot of that was the inability of the right side and interior of the line pass protecting.

Now that's not to take away the credit from the Cardinals. After the initial flurry, they hung in there. When the 49ers couldn't close the deal, the Cards killed the Niners with those short passes to Hopkins and Murray scrambling. Niner D was sucking air and that eliminated the pass rush almost completely. Cards ran like 78 plays and the D was just gassed.

That's by design BTW. That's not taking credit away from the Cards. That IS their gameplan. High tempo, spread it out, mobile QB, make the D-Line run all day. It worked. They've done the same thing for three games now. Niners pulled it out twice last year, but the new element is Hopkins.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yes, I'm referring to the excuses you Niners fans made when the Hawks won down there. Had NOTHING to do with that kicker. Niners had no business even being in that game.
But it goes both ways. In the final game of the year, Hollister was mugged in the end zone. Should have been 1st and goal on the 1, and Beast Mode would have pounded it down your throat. You know it.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":9x9ftu3p said:
Yes, I'm referring to the excuses you Niners fans made when the Hawks won down there. Had NOTHING to do with that kicker. Niners had no business even being in that game.
But it goes both ways. In the final game of the year, Hollister was mugged in the end zone. Should have been 1st and goal on the 1, and Beast Mode would have pounded it down your throat. You know it.

Talk about making excuses. Should we go back to "the interception" during the Green bay game? Every team in the NFL has had gripes about calls. Practice what you preach, get over it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You're making my point. It's all excuses, regardless where it's coming from.
Man up and give the Cards some credit. They outplayed your precious 49ers, period.
They did the same thing to the Hawks here in Seattle at the end of last year. It IS ok to actually give your opponent credit, believe it or not. Sometimes the other team is just better that day. This isn't some new thing...……
And maybe you should get over yourself and stop spending all your time on a SEAHAWKS message board.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":gevolofe said:
Man up and give the Cards some credit. They outplayed your precious 49ers, period.
They did the same thing to the Hawks here in Seattle at the end of last year. It IS ok to actually give your opponent credit, believe it or not. Sometimes the other team is just better that day. This isn't some new thing...……
And maybe you should get over yourself and stop spending all your time on a SEAHAWKS message board.

Ah here we go, can't handle a different opinion so fall back on a rival team being on your teams site. If you don't like rival fans being here perhaps you should talk to the owner instead of crying about it.

Last I checked this was an NFL forum. If you want to have exclusive circle jerks with just your 12 brethren I'm sure you could arrange it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Gee guys, all this and it's after the first game of the season, you would think it was the Wild card game.

Washington49er

Reaction score
chris98251":oyfm2z3y said:
Gee guys, all this and it's after the first game of the season, you would think it was the Wild card game.

Trying to play nice, just have a different perspective and opinion.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
*mod edit* the Niners. Good enough for you? It's just a message board. Meh, it's not personal. I think it's funny, and I look forward to seeing the Niners lose more games.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":29tc214n said:
*mod edit* the Niners. Good enough for you? It's just a message board. Meh, it's not personal. I think it's funny, and I look forward to seeing the Niners lose more games.

W8mdi

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Washington49er":49oq7tbu said:
SoulfishHawk":49oq7tbu said:

Ah here we go, can't handle a different opinion so fall back on a rival team being on your teams site. If you don't like rival fans being here perhaps you should talk to the owner instead of crying about it.

Last I checked this was an NFL forum. If you want to have exclusive circle jerks with just your 12 brethren I'm sure you could arrange it.
You are on a Seattle Seahawks forum, you are aware of that, right?
Situational awareness is your friend.