Cardinals do 1-yr, $6M deal with Evan Mathis

LolaRox

Reaction score
...[/quote]

When Mathis was available last Summer, Seattle's interest in him was such that they couldn't beat Denver's meager $2.5 million offer. And that was when Mathis was a year younger than he is right now.

It's not a bad signing by Arizona but they definitely paid good money. $6 million is a generous offer for a 35 year old ZBS guard.

And even if Seattle did want Mathis for $6 million, they had enough room to sign him for that much and still stay in the hunt for Russell Okung. It's not like signing Kearse cost them Mathis.

Mathis is a solid addition for Arizona, but the evidence leads me to conclude that he wasn't really on Seattle's radar.

...[/quote]

I remember reading Mathis' interview in USA Today a little while back and he said Seattle bowed, but didn't say if was for money. He was interested in the Seahawks and some other team (which I can't remember at this moment), he came to Seattle for a visit and then the Seahawks bowed out.

I'll try to find the article and post a link. It was a pretty good article, he's an entertaining guy. It was about his time with Chip, FA and his time with Denver.

Edited to add the link
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /80778794/

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
if* we mend the offensive line to ~replacement level, im not worried

we have 4 top 100 picks, and we are the best team in the league at drafting rnds 3-7

compared to az, we have the better quarterback, runningback, receiving threats, linebackers and special teams. secondary is now about equal, and they have perhaps an edge now on the dline with us losing bane and them gaining chandler jones.

unfortunately the disparity in offensive lines is a massive equalizer, just no getting around that :?

and we simply dont have the capital to do anything splashy this offseason, and as far as trading a 1st+ to cleveland for joe thomas, ive think pete and john are too hesitant to pull the trigger after trading previous 1sts. that being said, i do pray we can somehow either pry thomas away from cleveland or atleast retain okung, as depending on a rookie at left tackle is just playing russian roulette with our franchise qb and season. thomas and okung both fit our 3 year window, no need to get too stingy

* and thats a big "if"

Ozzy

Reaction score
kearly":29lbllp9 said:
austinslater25":29lbllp9 said:
So all the questions I got asked on why I was against the Kearse signing initially this is why. Mathis would of been a nice piece to add to the line in its complete reshuffle. The two guys we just signed were graded deadlast by PFF. I hope they see something glaring that is easily remedied.

When Mathis was available last Summer, Seattle's interest in him was such that they couldn't beat Denver's meager $2.5 million offer. And that was when Mathis was a year younger than he is right now.

It's not a bad signing by Arizona but they definitely paid good money. $6 million is a generous offer for a 35 year old ZBS guard.

And even if Seattle did want Mathis for $6 million, they had enough room to sign him for that much and still stay in the hunt for Russell Okung. It's not like signing Kearse cost them Mathis.

Mathis is a solid addition for Arizona, but the evidence leads me to conclude that he wasn't really on Seattle's radar.

As for Kearse, he's statistically a very good value on his new contract. He's a better WR than Marvin Jones and is making about half as much money. Until Graham recovers or Richardson proves durability, Kearse will remain one of the team's top three receivers in an offense that runs a ton of three WR sets. Kearse might be expendable in 2017, but he's still needed right now. And if he does become expendable in the future, his contract is easy to get out of and easy to trade.

Seattle didn't break the bank to keep Kearse. Rather, they brought him back on a series of team friendly one year options to help hedge their bets in a receiving corps where he might be the only guy you can count all that much to stay healthy.
Good post, thanks Kearly

Largent80

Reaction score
You have to commend them for the additions they have made. Obviously they feel it's now or never.

They are 1 Palmer injury from all of it going down the drain however.