Carolina Panthers - trade targets

Schadyhawk001

Reaction score
With Matt Rhule fired and the Panthers reportedly willing to trade for picks, anyone we should keep an eye out for?
170406D9 0AB3 4E01 9F4B B076CA59E744

DJrmb

Reaction score
I just saw something about this on NBC sports. I know the offense isn't the problem for this team really but there is also the philosophy of leaning into your strengths (strengthening your strengths) rather than trying to strengthen your weakness. I wonder what it would take to get Christian McCaffrey to replace Penny? Maybe instead of trying to fix the defense, you make your offense unstoppable. Not that you would completely disregard improving defense, but just prioritizing offense right now.

I'm not giving up a 1st for him though, lets get that clear :ROFLMAO:

DJrmb

Reaction score
McCaffrey is washed.

Why would you want him?
He's only 26. I don't think he's done. If he came in cheap enough he'd be a dynamic RB2 and 3rd down back to pair with Walker as the lead. Again, I'm in a buy low mindset hear. It would all depend on the cost, both to attain and to retain, the contract afterwards has to make sense too for a 2nd RB.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Zero chance. Walker is talented, younger and cheaper. Why waste draft capitol when you're trying to rebuild? I get your reasoning and its not all wrong I just think its best to stick with what you have.

chrispy

Reaction score
Whatever we'd trade to get him would result in a better option in the coming off season.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Any trades should be with future seasons in mind, not this one.

If you can get a vet at a position of need who’s under contract for 2-3 years for a mid or late round pick, go for it.

Obviously a lot of qualifiers there so not too likely.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
He's only 26. I don't think he's done. If he came in cheap enough he'd be a dynamic RB2 and 3rd down back to pair with Walker as the lead. Again, I'm in a buy low mindset hear. It would all depend on the cost, both to attain and to retain, the contract afterwards has to make sense too for a 2nd RB.
CMC is fragile and well paid he is a hard pass

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
We should only go after needs that would be here for a minute, so we're looking at front 7. Shaq Thompson is expensive, and Littleton is a free agent next year. Ioannidis is also FA next year.

There might be some others to aim for (I'm not super familiar with Carolina's roster), but we shouldn't spend potential draft capital on an expensive, injury-prone RB.

DJrmb

Reaction score
CMC may not be the right fit right now for Seattle because of timing mostly (he'd be better for a SB team this year), but some of the arguments against him are covered here: The case for Christian McCaffrey

He's not expensive (would only be owed 1m)

Injury concerns are a little overblown (he's played every single game in 6 out of his 8 seasons, and hasn't missed a game this season)

He's more talented than some are giving him credit for (his 2392 yards is 3rd most in a season in history)

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
CMC may not be the right fit right now for Seattle because of timing mostly (he'd be better for a SB team this year), but some of the arguments against him are covered here:

The case for Christian McCaffrey

He's not expensive (would only be owed 1m)

Injury concerns are a little overblown (he's played every single game in 6 out of his 8 seasons, and hasn't missed a game this season)

He's more talented than some are giving him credit for (his 2392 yards is 3rd most in a season in history)
He had a good season or two and then his body started breaking down..
At this point with him you are selling snake oil.

DJrmb

Reaction score
He had a good season or two and then his body started breaking down..
At this point with him you are selling snake oil.
You guys are putting me in a position to have to defend this guy a lot more than I wanted, I'm not that tied to CMC, but these arguments against aren't great. Did you read the attached article about his injuries or are you just stating your opinion? I think the article makes a pretty good case that the injuries you speak of can be, and maybe should be, chalked up to bad luck. I mean a lot of you guys were ready to roll with Carson this year if he could come back...

Anyway, it won't happen and I get the injury risk crowd and not wanting to risk it. For me I'd still throw a 3rd round pick their way to take a chance on his talent.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A realistic option would be someone like Jeremy Chinn. We could use the safety depth with Josh Jones being a bust and Ryan Neal being mediocre. Daviyon Nixon might be an option too.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
D'Onta Foreman seems to be playing more than Hubbard.
So,,,,,,,,,,what you're saying is he's fresh?
Also, D'Onta Foreman isn't from my hometown & I didn't follow his college career so..........