Carolina Panthers - trade targets

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Only player off the top of my head that I'd trade for is Roquan Smith. Dude's a beast, we're desperate for a playmaker/enforcer at LB and even if we give him a monster contract we have the cap space.

Since he's in the last year of his deal? Probably could get him for a 3rd or 4th.

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
CMC may not be the right fit right now for Seattle because of timing mostly (he'd be better for a SB team this year), but some of the arguments against him are covered here: The case for Christian McCaffrey

He's not expensive (would only be owed 1m)

Injury concerns are a little overblown (he's played every single game in 6 out of his 8 seasons, and hasn't missed a game this season)

He's more talented than some are giving him credit for (his 2392 yards is 3rd most in a season in history)
CMC is owed about 500K for the rest of the year but his contract is calling for $12 million a year for 3 yrs and compensation wont be cheap

DJrmb

Reaction score
CMC is owed about 500K for the rest of the year but his contract is calling for $12 million a year for 3 yrs and compensation wont be cheap

His contract after this year has no guarantees left. He can be cut after this year and owed nothing. That's why I mentioned it might make more sense for a SB team that just needs him this year to get over the hump.

Now with that the team holds all the cards, so there is a long term play as well. CMC likely would look to negotiate a new contract if traded to a team that wanted to keep him long term and trade in some of that APY for guaranteed dollars. They could probably easily get him down to about what they were going to pay Penny or Carson, if he'd returned, and have him for 2 more years at that same price with a slightly back loaded contract and converting non-guaranteed money to a signing bonus this year. That's if they wanted to keep him long term. Most likely though a team like Buffalo is going to snatch him up for a run this year at less than 1m...

As for compensation, the link you posted shows the Bills giving a 1st and a 3rd. No way in hell would I give up that for him in Seattle. It was reported they were asking for a 1st last year and no teams were willing to do it, I don't see them getting more now, but if the price is that high then no thanks

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Here's an article on the Panthers players who could be dealt. Seahawks should make a move for Brian Burns. Sounds like just the guy they need up front to provide a pass rush. He's on track to have 13.5 sacks this year -

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Here's an article on the Panthers players who could be dealt. Seahawks should make a move for Brian Burns. Sounds like just the guy they need up front to provide a pass rush. He's on track to have 13.5 sacks this year -
Sounds plausible if the price is right. We don't have anyone close to that kind of production. What scheme is Carolina playing now with him in it?
I've read a some stuff saying Baker's price might go way down, not that I would pay anything, just saying the word is he might be really, really cheap and still might not get any takers. Count me in the "no takers" club.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounds plausible if the price is right. We don't have anyone close to that kind of production. What scheme is Carolina playing now with him in it?
I've read a some stuff saying Baker's price might go way down, not that I would pay anything, just saying the word is he might be really, really cheap and still might not get any takers. Count me in the "no takers" club.
I believe the Panthers run a 4-3 mainly. It did say in the article he would be very good as a stand up edge rusher in 3-4 scheme.

GemCity

Reaction score
Dear sweet baby Jesus,

Please do not allow the Seahawks to trade with the Carolina Panthers.

Thank you,

Rationale Fan.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
i'd want brian burns or derrick brown, but only if we scrapped hurtt's scheme and went back to the 4-3. neither are current scheme fits

Latest posts