Carson injury

Hawks46

Reaction score
Blitzer88":d4otjvhi said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KevinShockey/status/914731765356314624[/tweet]

Man that's good news. They wouldn't let him walk on it if they even thought it was fractured.

It sure looked worse than that. I thought his season was done for sure when I saw that play.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
StoneCold":2l785xi0 said:
Seahwkgal":2l785xi0 said:
Cc5674":2l785xi0 said:
No question he sustained a serious injury. The question I would pose to Pete Carroll is why was he still in the game when you are up big and you have Lacy who needs some exercise on the sidelines. Carson was becoming the hammer with a few moves this team needed and sets up the complimentary speed backs. Lacy is too fat and slow to the line to be effective. Sorry fans that was POOR coaching. Pete was doing his customary lets pour it on at home so he could sushine pump all week as he has done in the past when the Hawks pounded weaker teams at home. You would think the oldest coach in the league would now better but thats Pete( Lets throw from the one yard line) Carroll. That injury will REALLY hurt and it was unnecessary.
Oh Jeebus....Do you watch football? Time management. Run the ball. Control the clock. Keep the ball away from the other team. Carson is a rookie and needs the reps. Lacy was used too. Let's just not play FOOTBALL players. :roll:

If you go this route, why were any of the starter in the game? Don't we have a water boy that can hand the ball off?
Yep....His name is Bobby...wait. :laugh:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Cc5674":373eye5w said:
No question he sustained a serious injury. The question I would pose to Pete Carroll is why was he still in the game when you are up big and you have Lacy who needs some exercise on the sidelines.

Lacy was in on that drive.

It's hard to argue that Carson didn't need the workout. He's only a rookie.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nfltrade_rumors/status/914873891566350336[/tweet]

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Blitzer88":d7ydx210 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nfltrade_rumors/status/914873891566350336[/tweet]

Check your sources again, Blakeley.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/914873274886221826[/tweet]

This better Montana?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1m8imfaf said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/914873274886221826[/tweet]

This better Montana?

I'll answer for him - yes that is a MUCH better source.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
After getting a chance to look at the injury, frame by frame, last night, I came away more hopeful than I was in the game day thread. First I'll show you what I was looking at, in real time, and why I was concerned that this might be a Theisman level, career ending injury.

First, we see Bostick coming in directly from the side of Carson's leg, further, we see that Carson's leg is almost straight legged, and fully planted in the turf. He has all of his weight on the left leg, and his right foot is in the air.
IMG 9069

IMG 9070

Lateral force on a straight, planted leg is what leads to devastating injuries. The foot being planted, can't give to absorb the hit, so all the force is translated to the bones and ligaments.

The next thing I noticed was this.

IMG 9076

Carson's foot is trapped by Bostick, and it looks like the weight of Stewart and Basham are coming down and compressing the leg..

This looks like a devastating two plus bone break, plus terrible ligamentous damage.

What I failed to notice, in real time, was something that you can only see in a couple of frames.

IMG 9072

Here, before Carson gets bent fully back, we can appreciate that the bulk of Bostick's weight has actually come around to the back side of Carson's leg, and Carson has managed to, somewhat, free the foot up. In this case, I think the Field Turf saved him from career threatening injury. If this had been a grass surface, I'm not sure the he gets the foot freed.

There are a few other frames that I won't bore you with, but the real money shot is here

IMG 9077

You can see that, by the time the combined weight of Stewart and Basham come crashing down on Carson, Bostick has rolled far enough off the back of Carson's foot, that it has popped out and was free. Once again, I believe the Field Turf saved his career. That foot doesn't come free on a grass surface.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a potentially bad injury. Just that we are looking at a season threatening rather than a career threatening injury.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
For comparison, here is an early shot of the Theisman injury. Similar look with Lawrence Taylor coming down on the side of Theisman's planted leg.

Article 0 1BB0B976000005DC 909 634x414

The freed foot, and the weight coming from the back of the leg, make Carson's injury more similar to Lockett's than Theisman's.

It wasn't until I went through the film, frame by frame, that I caught this. Should have seen it before posting in the game day thread, but that's how it goes.

My guess is he does have a major injury, likely worse than Lockett's, because I think the ligamentous damage will be worse. It wouldn't surprise me if he needs a more extensive surgery than Lockett. It is entirely possible that he will require screws in the ankle, which could limit his cutting ability. I expect to see him back next season, but there could be a huge drop off.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If Shockey's report is true, and reviewing the frame by frame it is remotely possible, we could see Carson back before season's end. It would be miraculous, but not entirely impossible.

It is also possible that both Shockey's report, and Rappaport's report are both true. The way he freed the foot, he might have come away with a high ankle sprain with small fracture(s) of the fibula and/or bones of the foot, or even nothing more than ligamentous damage.

If they "believe" he has a fracture, and need an MRI to further evaluate, then he doesn't have a fracture that if visible on x-ray. That means it is a minor fracture. Sometimes minor fractures need surgery, and sometimes they take longer to recover from than big breaks that are obvious on x-ray.

At this point, I would still bet on Carson finishing the season on IR.

SeaChat

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2k9z4qv7 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KevinShockey/status/914731765356314624[/tweet]
Man it seems like most folks just blew right on by your post and didn’t read what you had to say. I think that’s great news if he was up and walking around in the locker room after the game without an air cast on and putting weight on his leg at that time. that’s a pretty good indication that he probably didn’t break anything, and might have just hyper extended his knee and ankle which can feel like a break when it happens. hopefully this turns out just to be a scary close call for him, and that he’ll be back to play again not to long from now. At best he’ll still need to rehab and it will be sore as hell for awhile, hopefully weeks and not an entire season ended.

I’m a friggin optimist and always hope for the best but am always prepared for the worst. There is something in the air with our RB situation, Rawls and Prosise were both cleared to play as best as I could see, but neither of them dressed for the Colts game, a trade maybe? If it turns out Chris’s injury is more serious than this post suggests, that would likely throw a wrench in anything that they might have been cooking up in our RB situation.

I think if Chris proves to be okay he has earned the lead RB position. Lacy shows improvement, and J.D. looks to have some metal in his game. Impressive in every opportunity he’s been given so far. I hate that these RBs careers can be ended or seriously derailed with the type of tackling tactics that were deployed in Carson’s case, that high low team tackle needs to be ended it almost always ends badly for RBs.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Just got an alert from my ESPN Fantasy Football app that says the Seahawks now believe RB Chris Carson suffered a broken ankle. As a physical therapist/athletic trainer my first thought seeing the mechanism of injury was either a significant high ankle sprain, or more likely a tib/fib fracture. Either way it's a prolonged recovery (even if it doesn't require surgery). At the very least this looks to me like IR with possibility of return, but more likely that he's done for the year. Very unfortunate.

Seymour

Reaction score
Good news on Carson.

Fracture below the knee and possible high ankle sprain.

Way better than it looked!

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Seymour":2wtn9hwb said:
Good news on Carson.

Way batter than it looked!
Yep just saw that per Pete on 710. Good news. Did he provide any possible time table for a return?

Seymour

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2ih3fhl0 said:
Seymour":2ih3fhl0 said:
Good news on Carson.

Yep just saw that per Pete on 710. Good news. Did he provide any possible time table for a return?

Didn't hear from Pete, just heard this announced on 950 AM.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Really glad to hear it wasn't a blown out knee or ankle. Still bad news he's got a break but hopefully a fracture should be a cleaner healing process if he didn't damage any ligaments or tendons.

No time table on return yet because at first they missed it (they scanned his ankle initially and found nothing and didn't find the fracture just below his knee until later). They are doing more scans now that they know where the problem is to see how bad of a fracture it is.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Seymour":23909yrx said:
Thepeelsessions":23909yrx said:
Seymour":23909yrx said:
Good news on Carson.

Didn't hear from Pete, just heard this announced on 950 AM.
I just saw that Pete mentioned that "he's going to be out". Didn't expand on that. But most likely season ending IR, I'd assume.

JPatera76

Reaction score
https://mobile.twitter.com/dannyoneil/s ... 6369700864

Danny ONeil has a series of tweets that say:

Danny O'Neil @dannyoneil
·
29m
Replying to @dannyoneil
RB Chris Carson evaluated on the field, air cast applied as fear was he had suffered a break in his lower leg. 2/

Danny O'Neil
Danny O'Neil @dannyoneil
·
28m
RB Chris Carson had X-rays taken after he left the field. Those X-rays did not find a fracture in the area of his ankle. 3/

Danny O'Neil
Danny O'Neil @dannyoneil
·
27m
Coach Pete Carroll tells the team of those initial results and that RB Chris Carson didn't break his leg. 4/

Danny O'Neil
Danny O'Neil @dannyoneil
·
26m
This is why CB Richard Sherman indicated in his press conference the injury might not be as serious as feared. 5/

Danny O'Neil
Danny O'Neil @dannyoneil
·
25m
By the time Pete Carroll began his press conference, team knew Chris Carson had suffered a fracture higher on his lower leg. 6/

Danny O'Neil
Danny O'Neil @dannyoneil
·
24m
The upshot: RB Chris Carson has a fracture in his lower leg and also suffered a high ankle sprain. 7/

RussB

Reaction score
If carson somehow isnt seriously injured, that is seriously a miracle.

Also anyone think it looked similair to wilson's injury last year? I remember wilson got his leg fell on the exact same way and continued to play.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Regardless of how bad the break is, he will likely be out a while if it's a bad high ankle sprain. And the video of the injury made it look like quite a strain was put on his leg. Those can take a couple months to heal in some cases.