Cary Williams

Rob12

Reaction score
He looks a hell of a lot better than Byron "I allow the highest passer rating in the NFL" Maxwell.

chris98251

Reaction score
He's starting to get comfortable and his technique is getting better, a couple more games and he will not be a discussion topic.

themunn

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":34922tlb said:
He was the guy Megatron shook for that last reception.

And who made a couple big mistakes on the go-ahead Rodgers drive.

All in all, not really a bad pickup tho.

If the criticisms against him are that a future hall of fame QB and future hall of fame WR took advantage of him, I'm OK with that for our 2nd CB

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Thought he was a good signing at the time, still think the same. He'll continue to get better the comfortable he is in our playing style

blazen2392

Reaction score
themunn":3dibje6z said:
MontanaHawk05":3dibje6z said:

If the criticisms against him are that a future hall of fame QB and future hall of fame WR took advantage of him, I'm OK with that for our 2nd CB

IDK about that future hall of fame QB part you threw in there, in fact i strongly disagree with that. In fact not even sure if Megatron is a future hall of a fame WR. HoF are consistent and produce longevity. Megatron has done neither neither.

sutz

Reaction score
blazen2392":2jkk912h said:
themunn":2jkk912h said:
MontanaHawk05":2jkk912h said:

IDK about that future hall of fame QB part you threw in there, in fact i strongly disagree with that. In fact not even sure if Megatron is a future hall of a fame WR. HoF are consistent and produce longevity. Megatron has done neither neither.
I assume he is talking about Rodgers in GB.

It's not like Megatron has never beaten any CB in the league. Given Megatron's final numbers, I'd say that Cary Williams played a pretty decent game against him, overall.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Philly gets a $63 million dollar corner that is being torched while we get their castaway for $6 million who shut down one of the all time best WR's all game long last night.

WInning.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2rcvdoec said:
Philly gets a $63 million dollar corner that is being torched while we get their castaway for $6 million who shut down one of the all time best WR's all game long last night.

WInning.

^^^^
THIS.
I'd say that's Pete and John's NFL version of Moneyball. Having lots of guys who consistently outplay their contracts, and unloading guys who are going to command a bigger contract on the open market, than their level of talent/performance can support in the Seattle system. In Maxwell's case, it's looking like much of his success was a product of fitting into Seattle's system; it appears having Earl and Kam around to clean up the mess can "improve" a corner's play.

Maybe Maxwell has more talent than he's showing right now due to nagging injuries or Philly's secondary not meshing just yet, but right now it sure looks like Seattle got the better of the exchange. If anyone would be able to evaluate NFL DB's accurately, Pete would be that guy.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":sjv0zp3t said:
I'll give him his due...he played a good game tonight for sure.
He played a great 4 games so far, and was doing well covering the best WR in the game. Megatron will have catches despite who covers him. Sherman gave him an easy 15 yard catch too.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
massari":2oh9qvw0 said:
Basis4day":2oh9qvw0 said:
massari":2oh9qvw0 said:
Seahawks shouldn't have signed Williams+Kearse. Should've put that money towards the OL.

So many good CB's signed for way less than Williams this past off season.

I've never had anything against him as a player, just his salary should've gone towards the OL.

Which cbs were available at that time that fit our scheme? Which oline players were available that fit our scheme did we miss out on?

Actually quite a few. Don't feel like looking that up again lol. I'm pretty sure I've listed some in a post or two a while ago, so feel free to search through my posts.

I have searched but not seeing much. How about you through out some names?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
red grenadine":27yjhn6v said:
This guy is perfectly fine. Better than Maxwell

This is the key and I have to agree. He has been a step up from Maxwell in coverage.

Maxwell made a lot of great plays after the catch. Williams has been better as a cover corner.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Not sure he was worth the exact money he got, but he has played well seeing the teams better WR's the majority of the game. Add in the fact that Simon can't stay healthy and Lane is out and he was worth gambling on in free agency. He's solid, but not spectacular and that's fine.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Props to Cary, he played a great game. I think we need to give this guy the credit he deserves. I know a lot of us have been hard on him, especially myself.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I am. I thought he looked like crap in pre-season. I was concerned. Through four games, I think he's played extremely well. I am very happy to say that I was wrong. Nice job Cary!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He has been a slight improvement in coverage over where Maxwell was at this time last year. And at a salary of $4.5 million less per year than Maxwell.

massari

Reaction score
Basis4day":1i7hd4c7 said:
massari":1i7hd4c7 said:
Basis4day":1i7hd4c7 said:
massari":1i7hd4c7 said:
Seahawks shouldn't have signed Williams+Kearse. Should've put that money towards the OL.

So many good CB's signed for way less than Williams this past off season.

I've never had anything against him as a player, just his salary should've gone towards the OL.

Which cbs were available at that time that fit our scheme? Which oline players were available that fit our scheme did we miss out on?

Actually quite a few. Don't feel like looking that up again lol. I'm pretty sure I've listed some in a post or two a while ago, so feel free to search through my posts.

I have searched but not seeing much. How about you through out some names?

Without looking at every free agent from the list this past offseason, some of the guys that could of been good fits were Joe Barksdale, Evan Mathis, Stefan Wisniewski, Richie Incognito, Alan Ball, Charles Tillman, Tarell Brown. I'm sure there's more but am not looking at everyone on the list.

But then again, who knows, maybe the Seahawks tried like hell to get some of these guys but they just didn't want to play here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":11ws9li5 said:
A better QB could have exposed him tonight. Didn't think his coverage was great, got beat fairly consistently and a couple of times deep but we had Earl over the top most of the time.

Did nothing bad, but I saw nothing worthy of the praise he's getting round here tonight.

A better Quarterback, you mean like... Rodgers?
He isn't worthy of the consternation he's getting either.
Some around here are a little too quick to downplay what he's done so far, what with Kam Chancellor getting back into the fold, CW has had to try and fit in with an unfamiliar, and incomplete Seahawks Secondary.
Quite frankly though, I thought he did a commendable job covering Megatron for most of the game.
I also think that now with Chancellor back in the mix, Williams just might be able to meld a little better with the LOB scheme of things.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I wasn't all that sure about the aquisition in the first place but he looks to be a very serviceable CB2 so far. Don't forget he has players like Kam, Thomas and Wagner playing around him. Cary is fine.