CB

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Bobblehead":11yghstz said:
The UW standout CB should be available when we draft.

Ok, I will go with my "homer" pick from UM. Jabrill Peppers. :pray:

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
cymatica":2zcaubfj said:
Convert Kearse to cb. He play great against our offense this year
Hell no! Doug Baldwin intercepted a pass intended for him. Baldwin should be the convert. :laugh:

Blaze808

Reaction score
Stephon Gilmore I'd like the FO to go after. He sounds like a FA home run us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is a deep draft for CB and safety, so I betcha we draft 2-3 DB's.........along with signing a FA.

If there's anything the last two year's has shown, it's that the LOB MUST be their usual nasty and healthy selves for our defensive schemes to work. Any hole in that secondary and we get torched.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Largent80":3nt776ts said:
Elliott played a very little. Who knows?

This is the problem. We just went through this with the OL, and expecting a bunch of raw guys to step up and save a part of the team is a risky proposition. For veterans, we have Cox Lane and Seisay. Guys with 1 year of experience aren't veterans in my eyes.

If we don't go CB, we need a good 3 tech DT to disrupt the pocket.

I can also see us getting an elite talent at RB in the 2nd round. Problem is, we have a bunch of young guys with potential that can't stay healthy and the coaching staff may not be ready to cut bait on them.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1qabqbmj said:
Largent80":1qabqbmj said:
^^^^ Developing a player is a crap shoot. Look how long it took Shead to crack this lineup, and he did it mostly because of Maxwell leaving and injuries.

If you are drafting DB to stash on the practice squad, then I would say a change in philosophy is needed.

The biggest problem for us is that our o-line is obviously worst in the league, and F.A. is NOT the route we can take to address our immediate problems with DB and OL.

People are starting threads about a G.M. change....Sheesh, what a tough job that is.

Developing players is the only way to win consistently.

Drafting to develop players is a luxury that Seattle does not have right now.

They hit home runs 4 and 5 years ago but seem to be Ichiro in the last few drafts. Get a base hit now and then, but no pop.

This team needs immediate help at CB, and getting it through the draft or F.A. (money, and other positions) is neither a good outcome for next years squad.

Schadie001

Reaction score
We have Sherm and a bunch of nickle guys. Even Shead is a nickle guy. He isn't physical enough to play press man and be able to man handle the big guys like Browner did.

Seymour

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1w9pvkxq said:
Tyjng up money in Free Agency is exactly what BAD teams do, especially when they have so much clarity with the salary cap. If you want to see this team tank for the foreseeable future, yeah I guess go blow your load in FA.

Quick question though, you say getting help at CB is needed but then say getting help via the Draft or Free Agency is neither a good outcome, are you suggesting we make a trade for CB talent? That seems like a really misguided opinion.

In general I would agree, but certainly not always. That is how we picked up Avril, Bennett and Breno Giacomini, and in 2014 the Patriots paid $14M to Revis and won it all just to name a recent few.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Obviously drafting and starting in the same year is asking a lot from a rookie. F.a. comes with a high price.

Pick your poison.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We haven't had very much success bringing in FA corners, so I'd rather use a couple high draft picks on corners and developing them.

Pete stinks at developing O-lineman, but he's very good at developing defensive backs. So I'd rather go that route, and just live with the growing pains for the first half of the season or year if it means having that issue taken care of going forward for the next 5 years.

Cause I'm done with the one year Williams type band-aid signings.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Lane is ass and I don't trust Shead long term. We need to hit a HR we with a CB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":313lj2ws said:
Largent80":313lj2ws said:
^^^^ Developing a player is a crap shoot. Look how long it took Shead to crack this lineup, and he did it mostly because of Maxwell leaving and injuries.

If you are drafting DB to stash on the practice squad, then I would say a change in philosophy is needed.

The biggest problem for us is that our o-line is obviously worst in the league, and F.A. is NOT the route we can take to address our immediate problems with DB and OL.

People are starting threads about a G.M. change....Sheesh, what a tough job that is.

Developing players is the only way to win consistently.

Developing players combined with drafting well is the way to win consistently.

Releasing draft picks and casting a wide free-agent net seems, while it can turn up a rare gem, like an even bigger crap-shoot.

chris98251

Reaction score
Need to be a great talent evaluator and Coach to hit it in F.A., just because a guy looks good on one team does not mean that transfers someplace else due how used and system. Occasionally you strike it rich when you bring in a relatively unknown and use him to his strength, Clemons is a good example.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Wait for the Jets to release Revis, then sign him to a small team friendly one or two year deal.

GIven a change of scenery with a winning team I bet would rekindle his fire. Playing opposite Sherm would be interesting as well. :D

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Put more consistent pressure on the QB and our corners look a lot better, and interception numbers go up. Getting Jefferson healthy on the DL will hopefully help this...but running a mega-bland defensive scheme with few blitzes doesn't help our CB's. Even when we DID blitz, it didn't seem to be consistently effective.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
RockinHawks":2zg07a5y said:
Put more consistent pressure on the QB and our corners look a lot better, and interception numbers go up. Getting Jefferson healthy on the DL will hopefully help this...but running a mega-bland defensive scheme with few blitzes doesn't help our CB's. Even when we DID blitz, it didn't seem to be consistently effective.

You need to have good corners to blitz. We have one. Shead is a safety playing corner. We need a true corner and Shead needs to be a backup.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":30vknxzi said:
Largent80":30vknxzi said:
RockinHawks":30vknxzi said:

You need to have good corners to blitz. We have one. Shead is a safety playing corner. We need a true corner and Shead needs to be a backup.

It's pretty much the exact opposite. A good pass rush cover up a lot in the defensive backfield. It all starts up front.

When we don't get pressure we have had games that make Sherman, Thomas, etc, look pedestrian.

Not turning around to the ball is a teachable and learnable thing. But still we see Shead not doing this. That hasn't a single thing to do with a pass rush. Everybody knows a pass rush helps the secondary. But you need people with solid fundamentals at CB.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1ihz6naw said:
Largent80":1ihz6naw said:
Not turning around to the ball is a teachable and learnable thing. But still we see Shead not doing this. That hasn't a single thing to do with a pass rush. Everybody knows a pass rush helps the secondary. But you need people with solid fundamentals at CB.

I've seen Shead turn for the ball, not consistently. This was also his first full year starting. I think expecting any player to just step in and have every single necessary skill needed to be a shut down corner is unrealistic.

Besides, you said you need good corners to blitz. That isn't true.

Turning and looking for the ball is not a skill held purely by "shut-down corners" (if such a thing exists). It's more like a basic skill Shead is still not very good at.

And I would argue that most defensive coaches might feel more comfortable blitzing with solid coverage- which good corners can certainly provide- but I agree they are not a prerequisite.

chris98251

Reaction score
Two things about turning for the ball, one many players lose a step turning their head looking for the ball, second if you played and were a receiver your more likely to try and track the ball and read the receiver to turn, many look at their eye's or look for a tell in the film room when it is coming. If it's a learned trait it can be hard to teach someone that is used to backpedaling and then cutting on the ball such as a safety.