CB

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Another reason to not turn to look for the ball is because that man has been thoroughly beaten and is trying to catch up.

If you're right with the guy, you watch their eyes and body english and you KNOW when that ball is arriving. That was how I was taught to play corner.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I dont have time to try and convince anybody of a simple fundamental that is lacking in several of our DB players.

I had the advantage of playing both WR and CB on my high school and college teams. It gave me a slight edge, but I would simply say, this is a coaching thing unless the players are lacking the ability to get it done.

sondevil89

Reaction score
chris98251":cw2w91kv said:
Two things about turning for the ball, one many players lose a step turning their head looking for the ball, second if you played and were a receiver your more likely to try and track the ball and read the receiver to turn, many look at their eye's or look for a tell in the film room when it is coming. If it's a learned trait it can be hard to teach someone that is used to backpedaling and then cutting on the ball such as a safety.

I remember the first time I went to a Seahawks' game at the Kingdome how fascinated I was watching warm ups before the game. The DB's blew me away with how fast they could "backpedal" as they launched themselves down the sidelines in a furious reverse sprint. It was my first realization at just how remarkable professional athletes truly are.

Of course, like most all technique, backpedaling has evolved to incorporate several additional techniques including the Seahawks' kick step but I will never forget how incredible it was to watch those professional d-backs run backwards much faster than just about anyone could run forwards.

Here's some info on technique and "backpedaling":

http://smartfootball.com/defense/why-ni ... D68vz.dpbs

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... -technique

Hyak

Reaction score
I am intrigued by Sam Shields and Justin Gilbert being on the open market given the hole at CB. Perrish Cox signing does little to comfort me about the position at this point although I will say Elliott and Thorpe showed some potential.

Both guys have questions (concussion for Shields and desire for Gilbert) but both have the CB arm length the Seahawks like and could be low risk/high return options.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
We need fresh meat in the DB.

There are a plethora of them in the draft available. (RB and DB are especially deep).

I hope they nab Obi Melifonwu.

[youtube]0x3Nb2UXqx8[/youtube]

Hyak

Reaction score
I definitely think they need to draft a couple of DB's in this draft. That said, I'd consider signing a veteran corner within reason given Lane's struggles and Shead likely missing most of 2017.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
JTB":37gjfoqy said:
I definitely think they need to draft a couple of DB's in this draft. That said, I'd consider signing a veteran corner within reason given Lane's struggles and Shead likely missing most of 2017.

I think if they F.A. any player it will be OT. After that the money isn't there.

Also don't be surprised to see them draft SAM LB.

I hope they nab my sleeper Zach Cunningham.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1loml1we said:
I bet Shead is ready game one. ACL recoveries aren't what they used to be.

Even then, we desperately need a corner.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":2vles01l said:

There are a plethora of them in the draft available. (RB and DB are especially deep).

Melifonwu is an athletic freak. Would love to look at him, however we need guys that will play immediately. I cant see Obi getting past Kam on the depth chart.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I would like to get either a stud CB or a tweener like Peppers in the first round. I think Pete really wanted to do some things with the Browner sets but he just couldn't do it.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":7key8lqu said:
Largent80":7key8lqu said:

Melifonwu is an athletic freak. Would love to look at him, however we need guys that will play immediately. I cant see Obi getting past Kam on the depth chart.

He wouldn't need to get past him, but get experience and replace him in the future.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Largent80":29nz7juw said:
^^^^ Developing a player is a crap shoot. Look how long it took Shead to crack this lineup, and he did it mostly because of Maxwell leaving and injuries.

If you are drafting DB to stash on the practice squad, then I would say a change in philosophy is needed.

The biggest problem for us is that our o-line is obviously worst in the league, and F.A. is NOT the route we can take to address our immediate problems with DB and OL.

People are starting threads about a G.M. change....Sheesh, what a tough job that is.

I disagree. I believe fa or trade is the best way to immediately fix the o line. The Hawks will have 27 million to work with, with only a few lower tier contracts to re-sign. Buy a linemen or two, maybe a lineman and corner, and that will free them up to take the best player available, instead of passing up talent for need. Just read that the Seahawks have drafted the most linemen since 2012, that has to stop.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
meh, give me some push up the middle on the DL and the corners we already have will be a lot better.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
storm74":3qscybe8 said:
meh, give me some push up the middle on the DL and the corners we already have will be a lot better.

I do agree with you on that. I think there is intriguing talent in the db room. I think lane will bounce back, and ahead is better than people want to credit him. Still want to see a good vet, or stud drafted though.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":28ajtlma said:
Largent80":28ajtlma said:
^^^^ Developing a player is a crap shoot. Look how long it took Shead to crack this lineup, and he did it mostly because of Maxwell leaving and injuries.

If you are drafting DB to stash on the practice squad, then I would say a change in philosophy is needed.

The biggest problem for us is that our o-line is obviously worst in the league, and F.A. is NOT the route we can take to address our immediate problems with DB and OL.

People are starting threads about a G.M. change....Sheesh, what a tough job that is.

I disagree. I believe fa or trade is the best way to immediately fix the o line. The Hawks will have 27 million to work with, with only a few lower tier contracts to re-sign. Buy a linemen or two, maybe a lineman and corner, and that will free them up to take the best player available, instead of passing up talent for need. Just read that the Seahawks have drafted the most linemen since 2012, that has to stop.

I agree with you, finding anything in the draft has been a crap shoot, not just for us, but for everyone, other than Dallas as well. 2nd, You have about a 2, or 3 year window trying to train these guys before they ever seem to be effective.

We don't have that window any more, we need someone that can come in and perform immediately.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks don't spend a lot of draft capital on CB. Even in a talent rich draft like 2017 it wouldn't surprise me if the Hawks don't draft a CB in the first 4 rounds.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Seeing rumors of Aqib Talib might be getting release from the Broncos, we have some cap space will he be worth it if we can get him? He's been damn good for awhile now.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1k73my1w said:
I wouldn't mind going Defense as long as we spend a few dollars on FA OL.

The UW standout CB should be available when we draft.

Yup! What has been a major part of our identity has become suspect. We have to keep that nailed down. Shingles are starting blow off!

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is a guy that the Hawks met with at the combine......

[youtube]SPSwarGOj3g[/youtube]