D-Line

Largent80

Reaction score
Clowney, Reed, and Jefferson are all free agents. Jefferson broke his foot in the game yesterday, Reed was a shadow of last year. Clowney played out of his mind and did it injured.

You obviously want to keep him even with his extensive injury history. Reed is going to have to take a pay cut to be re-signed here, and Jefferson had a pretty good year and shouldn't be that expensive.

Collier barely got any experience this year, he's still a project. Green played a lot more and slightly improved so nothing really good to report on from these two.

Woods also a F.A.

They have Ford, who is a decent player and under contract.

But basically, the whole line needs to be rebuilt. There are a lack of draftable impact players and the ones that are there will be long gone by the Hawks pick.

FA is where they will have to address the DE problem. Fowler and Quinn are both available, there are several others as well. We have a lot of picks and decent cap so we should be able to bolster the line.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If our draft doesn't look like this, I'm going to be pissed.

D-line
D-line
D-line
O-line
D-line
O-line
D-line

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
This next draft is devoid of decent talent for DE.

It's top heavy in very good WR, and mid round OL.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Jordan Phillips is a FA from the Bills. 6'6" and 340. He would be a great addition in the middle where we didn't get much production.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":34auo5nl said:
This next draft is devoid of decent talent for DE.

It's top heavy in very good WR, and mid round OL.

Watch K'Lavon Chaisson tonight on LSU, he's projected by a couple mock drafts to be available at the end of the first round. Really good edge rusher that we obviously need.

Yes the 2020 class isn't even close to the amount of DE and DT talent of last year's draft, but that was an exceptionally deep draft............sure glad we spent our pick on Collier who has been a healthy scratch most of the year.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Bring back Reed for cheap, re-sign clowney and bring in a pass rusher like Quinn. The cap space is there and I'm sick of us drafting DL busts. Our draft capital can be better used on a WR, LB and the secondary

Jville

Reaction score
It was good to see nose tackle Bryan Mone get 17 snaps. Poona Ford had 43 snaps. Together they covered 94% of the snaps. Both look like they can continue to develop as two gap competitors.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
We have a lot of weaknesses to address. This is football, so we need to focus on our lines. Both of them. We also need to look into RB and corner. That's a lot to get fixed in one year.
I am concerned about the Carson/Penny injuries being problematic. Like Homer but he's just not ever going to be an every down feature running back.
We have a major hole in our secondary and it's not a safety. A good D Line makes a secondary look better than it is. A not so good D Line illuminates secondary deficiency. When you have a problem with both you have a serious problem.

Jville

Reaction score
(On Jarran Reed) “He never really got started rushing the passer like he was flying last year. He wasn’t able to be as productive, numbers wise. He still a really good football player and means a lot to this team and really tough and terrific all-around player. He had 10 1/2 sacks last year, we couldn’t get him going this year. Because he’s an inside guy and plays like he plays, he needs the support around him to open up the rush lanes and things like that. We weren’t able to help him enough.” --- Pete Carroll 1/13/20

(On what L.J. Collier needs to do more to have a bigger role) “I think he just needs to be in there. Get his play time, get going, get all of camp, get everything organized, he’s got it all together. We would like to play him inside and out, move him a little bit. I hope – I already talked to him about it – he can make the kind of jump that Rasheem [Green] made from year one to year two. I thought Rasheem had a terrific season this year to help us out and start to get his career rolling. Hopefully L.J. will make the same kind of advance.”---- Pete Carroll 1/13/20

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
The 2012 defense was kind of similar. Now it wasn't even close to as bad as this year's, but they struggled getting stops at the end of games. Clemmon's was our only serviceable pass rusher, like Clowney now, and he was always hurt. Everything turned around when we picked up Avril/Bennett. We've never had much luck with our drafted DL guys from what I can recall, with Pete anyway. I imagine they'll try to do the same thing this year in FA. Try to find guys with talent for 1 year prove it deals to go along with Clowney.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Besides D-Line this is the position of most importance.

People are starting threads about Flowers regressing but it is directly tied to our d-LINE.

We were dreadful except for Clowney and Jeff.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
I wonder if, after this years draft, Will Rasheem Green still be the youngest player on the D-Line?

devilhawk88

Reaction score
Yannick Ngakoue is a 25 yo 4-3 pass rusher FA that wrecks ish. Sign me up for him and Clowney.

sutz

Reaction score
Anajimmc":1a12ry7a said:
I wonder if, after this years draft, Will Rasheem Green still be the youngest player on the D-Line?
It seems very unlikely they would ignore DL in the draft.

kf3339

Reaction score
All of the above FA options sound good to me. Mostly because we need two in addition to Clowney and Jefferson. A strong pass rushing DE and Qb pressure DT. Also keep Al Wood.

I think Reed ends up being expendable as we have Ford and Mone for the 1tech along with a re-signed Al Wood. That would be my plan.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
If we can get Reed back at a reasonable price tag, I still like his upside. He is better than he showed this year, the suspension really got him out of the gates slow and he never recovered. If he had another 8-10 sack year his price tag would've jumped but with this production and the suspension he should come discounted. He knows the system so hes a natural return for me if the price is right. Clowney, and one more serious edge rusher are a must. Given the weakness of dline talent in the draft, I think here is where we need to splash cash and draft for oline secondary wr and te.

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":3sypn3qb said:

People are starting threads about Flowers regressing but it is directly tied to our d-LINE.

Absolutely disagree with that statement. Watch Flowers closer. He never gets his head turned around and gets grabby on nearly every deep pass, even against the teams #4 and 5 WR like he did against the Eagles. He is never going to be even an average DB given his tendencies IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":8yebsqag said:

Did you see Adam's TD where he turned Flowers around like a corkscrew? That throw took less than two seconds.

People need to stop making excuses for Flowers. He stinks, he's Tharold Simon 2.0.

Not all his fault, he's a safety, he doesn't have 10 years of reps and instinct to rely on. But that doesn't mean we need to see another year or two of him costing us games with his PI penalties and terrible mistakes.

You want to go to a SB again, Flowers is not the answer. Yes he's fine against backup QB's in the middle of the season, but in the playoffs when you're going against elite QB's, they're going to expose and eat him for lunch.