CenturyLink Field is no longer the "Home of the 12th Man."

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1f617rse said:
12s is more inclusive.
:roll:

12s is just dumb. 12th Man is what I will recognize, that or Hawks fan. "12s" is just trying too hard

Hawkintent

Reaction score
I always felt weird about the 12th man thing. And 12s just sounds a tad annoying to me. I guess I just view myself as a "Seahawks fan".

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Tomato potato, who seriously give a flying fig!

If this move is made to assuage those narrow minded asshats from A&M then so be it. We at least live it as the real 12th man and they may only have won the race for the copyright of the term. We are the real 12th man and they are miserable little 11&1/2's b/c they won't share w/o pay.

Maybe 12's will catch on and they can pay Paul back. Hope they choke on their '12th man' b/c it isn't anything more than a pretend college level term.

It is nothing more than a name and we know who is for real.

Chawker

Reaction score
Well, the mods need to change our logo. "Seahawk.net voice of the 12th man" Just an observation. It don't bug me any.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
There was no confusing the Hawks 12th Man vs. The Aggies 12th Man. The Hawks 12th Man made it more popular. People thought of the Seattle Seahawks, not the Aggies

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
gargantual":ex7y2jis said:
Wonder what Earl thinks about all this. Having loyalties to both sides.....hmmm.

He played for the University of Texas Longhorns, not A&M. Or did you mean how would he would view it having played for a rival of A&M? That just gives him two reasons to not like A&M.

Christine Michael and Michael Bennett played for A&M . . . figures. J/K

gargantual

Reaction score
My mistake then. I obviously have a false memory about Earl defending A&M when asked about that as a rookie.....which has led me to the erroneous assumption that he was an Aggie.

Out to the woodshed with me.....

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
gargantual":3lj6vwo4 said:
My mistake then. I obviously have a false memory about Earl defending A&M when asked about that as a rookie.....which has led me to the erroneous assumption that he was an Aggie.

Out to the woodshed with me.....

LOL, easy mistake to make.

Maybe Earl was conflicted having grown up hating the A&M version of the 12th Man and now being supported by the Seahawks' version of them? IDK.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Rocket":1bysfsn3 said:
None of my organs have changed or shifted.
I like the idea of being part of a horde, tho. Dad always said we were loosely related to Marshal Tito and Attila the Hun, so there's that.
Really? I'm related to Tito too!

(Man, that's a funny sounding sentence.)

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Earl does have some bragging rights over both Bennett and Michael.

In 2008, Texas beat A&M, 49-9, when Earl was a freshman starting FS and Bennett was a senior. Earl had six tackles and a pressure in the game. Bennett had five tackles, in addition to this vicious hit:
[youtube]oRTfztaioQ0[/youtube]

Earl went on to be a Freshman All-American. Somehow, Bennett ended up going undrafted. If I recall, he was considered too slow and a possible character concern, as he faced a suspension his senior year at A&M.

In 2009, Texas again beat A&M. This time much closer, 49-39. Earl had nine tackles and his 8th INT of the season (most in the nation that year) against A&M. Christine Michael had 19 carries for 83 yards and a TD. He also had a horrible fumble that was recovered by Texas and led to a TD. Michael went on to be named the Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year. Earl was a First-Team All-American and then declared for the draft after just his redshirt sophomore season.

Look familiar?
VVYg0D

gargantual

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1kmlxi8q said:
Rocket":1kmlxi8q said:
None of my organs have changed or shifted.
I like the idea of being part of a horde, tho. Dad always said we were loosely related to Marshal Tito and Attila the Hun, so there's that.
Really? I'm related to Tito too!

(Man, that's a funny sounding sentence.)

I think that was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz...."And Tito too!"........No?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":1fj0my4c said:
The hell it's not. The lawyers say the team can no longer call it the home of "the 12th Man" over copyright concerns. We as fans ain't bound to that at all. I'm still a 12th man. Period.
Well I'm not obviously. I like the change. 8)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't get why so many "12"s hate the new term. I really like it. Really!

12th Man signifies male to me (well, duh). I always thought the term ignored all the women and kids who are huge fans.

12's just encompasses every human being who happens to love the Seahawks.

Embrace it. Why? Because it works. Change isn't always a bad thing.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Here is the thing:

I learned a long time ago that it isn't what makes sense - but what the law says that matters.

We live in a nation of laws where Facebook tried to prevent anyone from using the word "Book" and where companies are buying skating rinks for tiny towns in East Texas because that is where all the morons who decide patent lawsuits live. (A very large % of these cases are in East Texas because the people are so terminally stupid and/or corrupt).

So it shouldn't be a giant shocker that the organization realizes building a trademark or building a base of commerce on a licensed copyright that you do not control is foolish.

There is enough there for the law to feel A&M "owns" the phrase, even though they stole it from Iowa.

So it makes complete sense to get rid of it.

Bonus points that we have one less connection to a group of people whose claim to fame is being able to count to 12 and also to put out some of the stupidest officers in at least 1 branch of service if you take an informal poll. (You can tell I dislike A&M, and you only need to spend 13 minutes in College Station to understand why).

The best part of removing the phrase is not having to hear A&M farmies, with IQs that are lower than the ambient room temperature in Fairbanks, Alaska, complaining that we "stole" their phrase. You know, the one that they stole from Iowa but that nobody in Iowa decided to copyright because they reasonably assumed back before 1920 that everyone knew how to count from 11 to 12.

So we can embrace the change or complain about it, but there was no way the FO would have kept a phrase that would cost more to keep that it was worth.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly! It was the right decision for the organization to move away from the hassle of that trademark and make one their own. What cracks me up is how simple and perfect the new brand really is!

12's.

Perfect.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Some people are caring about this way too much... From the comments Ive read trough the facebook viens, its seems mostly about ego rather than tradition.

Bottom-line were Seahawks fans... In the end it doesnt matter if were the 12th Man or 12s. Its all the same concept we just now live in a time copyrights are everything. And that in itself is dumb. You want someone to blame, its not women, or Texas AM or the Seahawks... its consumerism and the assholes who made it possible that you can own terms and phrases.

gargantual

Reaction score
I'm not completely sure why, but I actually prefer the sound of "12s", the biggest reason is it sounding like a mob I guess. That's honestly not a "sour grapes" way of making lemonade out of lemons after the fact, I've felt that since I first started hearing the term be used. Was it something that started "organically" or was it something cooked up in a PR "lab"? Not really sure.

Of course, I can completely understand feeling territorial about it, being such a long tradition going way back to the Kingdome days, the Beerman and all that.

Latest posts