Challenge flag for calls/flags?

Would you like coaches to be able to challenge calls/flags?

• Yes

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

OLYhawks

Reaction score
I'd like to know how many dotnetters are for, or not for, allowing coaches to throw the challenge flag on calls/flags.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Tried that with PI calls and officials so rarely made a change that they ended that experiment quickly.

The problem isn’t that all the calls are necessarily wrong but they have the appearance of making the more ticky tack calls when they want to move the game in a more favorable direction.

So the problem would be that most challenges would be a waste of time.

What they need is accountability for officials. Until that time it’s hard to believe the NFL cares one iota about poor officiating

flv2

Reaction score
I voted yes, but I didn't see a flag in the Seahawks @ Cowboys game that would be overturned on review. There was 1 iffy 4th quarter call against Woolen but I thought the officials had a really good game.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tried that with PI calls and officials so rarely made a change that they ended that experiment quickly.

The problem isn’t that all the calls are necessarily wrong but they have the appearance of making the more ticky tack calls when they want to move the game in a more favorable direction.

So the problem would be that most challenges would be a waste of time.

What they need is accountability for officials. Until that time it’s hard to believe the NFL cares one iota about poor officiating
That was BS. The Refs didn't like the rule, so Even on obviously bad calls, they refused to over turn the call.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I’ve felt for a long time that coaches should be able to use challenges for any play and any call/non call involving any player on the field.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Limiting the amount of challenges helps to control the coaching too. So I voted yes.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Hell to the yes.

But, that PI challenges were put in specifically for NO. They did it just to shut them up. Then pulled it.

If NY can phone in and get a flag picked up off the field, they already have ALL the control they need to fix it.

It's been broken since the XL years, and it seems 3 times broken now. I couldn't watch the game 'cause I got food poisoning and was barfing up a lung - but it just sounds to me like more of the usual bullshit.

Full time/part time. XL. Fail Mary. Last Night. Saints. A million other instances and a thousand other games decided by penalties.

If they were gonna fix it, they'd fix it. They're not going to. It's not just football, right? I saw the Calgary Flames get ass raped on a call that was complete BS and end their playoff run a couple years ago - literally the stupidest call I've ever seen in any sport. Watched baseball for the first season this past summer and saw DOZENS of umps CLEARLY steering games with their strike zone 'randomness'. It seems to be everywhere. And I don't know jack shit about hockey or baseball ;)

And the influx and total domination of gambling in the sport in the last 2 years will just exacerbate the situation:

2:53 mark here:

"In the fifth your ass goes down." So true.

It won't get changed until the $$$$ gets hurt.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I answered no. Would be terrible for the flow of the game and the crews aren't going to overturn their own calls often.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hell to the yes.

But, that PI challenges were put in specifically for NO. They did it just to shut them up. Then pulled it.

If NY can phone in and get a flag picked up off the field, they already have ALL the control they need to fix it.

It's been broken since the XL years, and it seems 3 times broken now. I couldn't watch the game 'cause I got food poisoning and was barfing up a lung - but it just sounds to me like more of the usual bullshit.

Full time/part time. XL. Fail Mary. Last Night. Saints. A million other instances and a thousand other games decided by penalties.

If they were gonna fix it, they'd fix it. They're not going to. It's not just football, right? I saw the Calgary Flames get ass raped on a call that was complete BS and end their playoff run a couple years ago - literally the stupidest call I've ever seen in any sport. Watched baseball for the first season this past summer and saw DOZENS of umps CLEARLY steering games with their strike zone 'randomness'. It seems to be everywhere. And I don't know jack shit about hockey or baseball ;)

And the influx and total domination of gambling in the sport in the last 2 years will just exacerbate the situation:

2:53 mark here:

"In the fifth your ass goes down." So true.

It won't get changed until the $$$$ gets hurt.

The Fail Mary call was 100% the correct call!
A tie goes to the WR always.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The Fail Mary call was 100% the correct call!
A tie goes to the WR always.
Yea it was but the talk around it was how horrible it was and that real officials wouldn’t have made that call. It became a media frenzy to reinstate the officials. Personally I don’t think the replacements were any worse but at least they had the excuse of inexperience.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This. However I question the flow of the game argument with what we saw Thursday.
I'm just too jaded to think it'd help. You'd have to limit it to one separate challenge with another if you win, and I just don't think they'd ever overturn anything. You'd have to give them enough challenges to use, because there are like 7 questionable flags per game. Then you'd need officials to actually overturn the calls when they're demonstrably wrong, and they'd have no incentive to raise the number of their own calls that they overturn because it'd make each crew look bad. Same thing would happen as the PI experiment, they'd just keep saying "hehe how about no?" and no one would win.

I'm for expanding the remote league office monitoring the games for quicker commands to halt games for penalty scrutiny, and keeping them separate from the officials to remove motive to stick by their calls. Also, make the officials full time employees with constant training. It's a hard job, with a whole lot of stuff to watch on every down - but it's gotta be a bit more consistent than it is now.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Full time officials and complete transparency on league-admitted blown calls is what needs to happen.

cymatica

Reaction score
Hell no. I would rather they just dramatically cut down on the flags. Only throw them for very egregious obvious penalties. I would rather players be taught to fight through PI and holding, on both sides, and let the cards fall where they may. If someone obviously pulls a guy from behind or completely mugs him, throw the flag, otherwise let them go at it.

So tired of multi-million dollar athletes crying for flags from a little contact and tired of the refs throwing laundry all game.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I voted yes, but I didn't see a flag in the Seahawks @ Cowboys game that would be overturned on review. There was 1 iffy 4th quarter call against Woolen but I thought the officials had a really good game.
What about the facemask that they picked up on Dallas??

pmedic920

Reaction score
I answered no. Would be terrible for the flow of the game and the crews aren't going to overturn their own calls often.
It should be taken out of the hands of “the crew”.

Ticky tack is ticky tack, and as long as it goes the same for both teams regardless of what the score is I’m fine with ticky tack.

It’s the blatant egregious errors that need to be fixed/addressed. The calls that the announcers/whole world sees and knows are bad calls/no calls.

I get it, we see things on TV that they don’t see at full speed on the field. When however the TV/replay shows something that is game changing or altering there should be an avenue to correct the mistakes.

It could be fixed if fixing it was a goal or priority.

pmedic920

Reaction score

What about the fantom calls that no reply is ever shown?

I have to believe that someone in “the trailer” says “go to commercial” or “show the cheerleaders.

I’m actually surprised we got to see the replay of that call.
It’s the replay that makes it so obvious that an egregious error was made.
The error was picking up the flag, at least one guy got it right when he threw the yellow thing.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have said this for decades and I will say it to my last breath.

EVERY CALL AND NON CALL SHOULD BE CHALLENGABLE!

Now before you come at me with how much it would slow the game down, it wouldn't any more than the challenges coaches get now. In other words, you only get X amount of challenges per game. It's not like they can throw the red flag all game long. Nothing changes other than they can now throw a flag on a blatant PI missed or holding or any play that adversely affects the team.

How many times have we seen games won or lost on horrific PI calls or non calls just as one example?

EVERY CALL AND NON CALL SHOULD BE CHALLENGABLE!

You only get two challenges. How would that slow the game down anymore than as it is?

This is an area the XFL has it right.

flv2

Reaction score

I can see why they threw the flag. I can see why they picked it up. I don't think it's conclusive either way so I don't think it would be reversed if challenged.