Chiefs trade Alex Smith to Redskins

uncle fester

Reaction score
2017: 104 rating, 26 - 5 TD to INT, 67.5% completions. Never mind history, read that stat line and say that's expendable.

Chiefs fans are ok that he's gone.

Patrick Mahomes must really be something.

That said, coughing up Fuller as part of the trade had to sting a bit for Washington. 4 picks this season from the slot, 2nd year player, and you send him away?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":231se14h said:
Where's the loyalty from the franchise to a player who has been great and given you all he has? Alex put up stellar numbers last year and has been nothing but a team player. But people are mad at Earl. Not mad at the Chiefs, they did what they thought was best for them. It's just funny how people get upset when players do the same thing.

In fairness, as a Seahawk fan I would be a bit more invested in what Seahawk players and the team do. If other teams make bad decisions, I just like watching the sideshow. Nothing for me to get "mad" about with the Chiefs and Redskins.

Not be on to something with your general idea, just not sure it applies here.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
What on earth was Washington thinking? This is a lateral move at best for a huge loss in talent and money. $71M guaranteed?! This is baffling.

And some people complain about our GM. Holy damn.

Edit: Want to feel better about the Seahawks? Go check out the meltdown on the Redskins Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Redskins/comme ... m-comments

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3bg63ryy said:
RolandDeschain":3bg63ryy said:
Man, I don't think that's a good move for Washington at ALL. I certainly wouldn't be excited to swap Cousins for Smith.

Not only is Cousins a better player IMO. They gave up a 3rd and Kendall Fuller to downgrade and massively overpay an older, worse player. Thwy could have extended Cousins for that amount a year ago.

Couldn't agree more, what an awful trade for Washington. Snyder continues the tradition of overseeing poor QB management for yet another year!

I'm really curious what Washington fans think of this, can't imagine they're too happy about it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":11ibrbcn said:
Where's the loyalty from the franchise to a player who has been great and given you all he has? Alex put up stellar numbers last year and has been nothing but a team player. But people are mad at Earl. Not mad at the Chiefs, they did what they thought was best for them. It's just funny how people get upset when players do the same thing.

This is the 2nd time this has happened to Smith. I feel bad for the guy in a way. He's had a good career but keeps getting dumped for newer models. Oh well, he's doing alright for himself with those contracts he keeps getting.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Would be interesting to see how much $ he gets for his entire career. It's gotta' be in the high 100 million range when you add in his original contract, what he made in KC and the 71 mil guaranteed here.

2_0_6

Reaction score
My Brother in law is a die hard, lifelong Redskins fan and he is still on the fence about this deal. He doesn't mind having Alex as the starter, but he absolutely HATES losing Fuller in this deal.

This is the way I look at it. If Kirk is really seeking $29mil per year, then this was a good deal for the Redskins. IMO he is not worth that and since they pick at 13, all the QB's that are worth a damn will be long gone. They got themselves into this mess by not signing Kirk two years ago. Given the options they had as of today, this was probably the best move to make even though it cost them dearly.

Chapow

Reaction score
uncle fester":9vfbcy9n said:
2017: 104 rating, 26 - 5 TD to INT, 67.5% completions. Never mind history, read that stat line and say that's expendable.

Yeah, that's a pretty big risk trading away a solid-good starting QB to roll with an unproven, inexperienced, going to be 2nd year player that has never started an NFL game in his life. Especially for a play off team. This is the kind of thing that could cost some people their jobs if it doesn't work out and work out pretty quickly. I don't think the Chiefs were too far away from being serious contenders and it definitely wasn't the QB that was holding them back.

I wouldn't be very happy about this if I was a Chiefs fan unless I was very, very confident in Mahomes and OK with the team most likely taking a pretty big step back for a year or two if Mahomes works out. If he doesn't, that year or two becomes for the foreseeable future.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1h4fetcy said:
Would be interesting to see how much $ he gets for his entire career. It's gotta' be in the high 100 million range when you add in his original contract, what he made in KC and the 71 mil guaranteed here.

Exactly, and it's much north of 100million noone should feel sorry for Smith. He's had a really good career, not great but really good. He was a 1st pick overall before the new draft money. So that alone set him for life. Now he's on his third contract that has 71 mill guaranteed.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
2_0_6":3rv6oior said:
My Brother in law is a die hard, lifelong Redskins fan and he is still on the fence about this deal. He doesn't mind having Alex as the starter, but he absolutely HATES losing Fuller in this deal.

This is the way I look at it. If Kirk is really seeking $29mil per year, then this was a good deal for the Redskins. IMO he is not worth that and since they pick at 13, all the QB's that are worth a damn will be long gone. They got themselves into this mess by not signing Kirk two years ago. Given the options they had as of today, this was probably the best move to make even though it cost them dearly.

Considering they just gave Smith 23.5m/year for an older, not as good player, this is a terrible deal anyway you slice it. Even signing Smith as a FA to that deal would be bad.

Or they could have signed one of the many average FA QBs going to the market this year for half as much.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Chapow":2g5vfi6c said:
uncle fester":2g5vfi6c said:

I don't think the Chiefs were too far away from being serious contenders and it definitely wasn't the QB that was holding them back.

Pretty much my view too. Still, those who should've taken the blame ...haven't. Makes me feel better about the current state of the Seahawks.

...Speaking of which

WindyCityHawk":2g5vfi6c said:
Edit: Want to feel better about the Seahawks? Go check out the meltdown on the Redskins Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Redskins/comme ... m-comments

HHOOOOBBBBOYYYY, do I feel better for reading that!! :D Thanks, WindyCityHawk!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Happy for Smith; annoyed at Washington for resetting the QB market in advance of the 9ers needing to sign JGQ long-term.

71 GTD for a 33 year old Alex Smith is stupid money.

2_0_6

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2fm94ds6 said:
2_0_6":2fm94ds6 said:

Considering they just gave Smith 23.5m/year for an older, not as good player, this is a terrible deal anyway you slice it. Even signing Smith as a FA to that deal would be bad.

Or they could have signed one of the many average FA QBs going to the market this year for half as much.

Really? Even an average QB will get in the $17mil per year range, just look at Osweiler.

Once the FA Qb's start signing and you see how much the Tyrod Taylor's, Blake Bortles, Teddy Two gloves get, this deal wont look that bad.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
2_0_6":2hwbtaep said:
XxXdragonXxX":2hwbtaep said:
2_0_6":2hwbtaep said:

Really? Even an average QB will get in the $17mil per year range, just look at Osweiler.

Once the FA Qb's start signing and you see how much the Tyrod Taylor's, Blake Bortles, Teddy Two gloves get, this deal wont look that bad.

The Osweiller deal was horrible. I wouldnt pay him any more than Tyrod.

2_0_6

Reaction score
That's exactly my point, even less than average QB's make stupid money. I would bet that even Tyrod gets over $20mil per season.

INSANE!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":202pupgc said:
Cousins to Minny? They had three guys that were starters there that could be had reasonable compared to Cousins that got them one game from the Super Bowl.

Probably deserves a different thread...

But the staff was clearly not convinced by Keenum (given their temperament towards him throughout the year) and do you really want to go into the season with Bradford or Bridgewater.

I think MN is looking at Keenum or Cousins, and it wouldn't surprise me if they make Cousins an offer first

Seahawkville

Reaction score
Hahahahaha. Gawd, have these teams not seen this guy for years now, and they give that money?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins is this day and age's Dave Kreig. Streaky as hell. Over the next three years, I'd rather have Alex Smith. By a lot.