Chuck Powell interesting idea - trade Russell

Anthony!

Reaction score
Chapow":304u4o2p said:
Tical21":304u4o2p said:
Chuck made a pretty compelling argument the other day. Since the highest paid qbs never win Super Bowls, it is smarter for us to go super cheap at quarterback? We could get two very high first rounders from Cleveland. We could get Watson and pay him pennies on the dollar for four years, spend the extra money on a couple more pro-bowlers, keep our picks and add another from Cleveland. We may even be able to get more!

You found this to be a compelling argument?

Trade away a franchise QB, the best QB our team has ever had, in his prime, for a couple of draft picks?

And then use one of those picks on a guy that will be exceptionally lucky to ever become even remotely as good as Russ already is right now?

So we would almost certainly end up with a giant, and I mean GIANT, downgrade at QB and one high draft pick. For a franchise QB in his prime.

I'm not seeing how this is a compelling argument.

It's not a compelling argument at all, its just a media guy trying to get clicks, by saying something stupid and hoping for someone to run with it, It worked but its still stupid

sdog1981

Reaction score
3 pages of this? Yes if the team could build a time machine go into the future and identify the next 3rd round draft pick that can win a Superbowl, then they should trade wilson.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ldn2lyi said:
sdog1981":3ldn2lyi said:
3 pages of this? .

Welcome to the off season, let me show you around.

Oh why thank you. Where are the air sickness bags located? What other amenities could you direct me to good sir?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":3mml0hjt said:
3 pages of this? Yes if the team could build a time machine go into the future and identify the next 3rd round draft pick that can win a Superbowl, then they should trade wilson.

Pick any other player on the team and tell me if they are untouchable, though.

Would you trade Sherman for the right package? Bennett? Baldwin? Thomas?

Of course you would. So, while we all agree that it's not what we would the team to do, it doesn't mean it's not a worthy conversation. It's really no different than the contract threads from a couple years ago.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uncle Si":21owpsi4 said:
sdog1981":21owpsi4 said:

Pick any other player on the team and tell me if they are untouchable, though.

Would you trade Sherman for the right package? Bennett? Baldwin? Thomas?

Of course you would. So, while we all agree that it's not what we would the team to do, it doesn't mean it's not a worthy conversation. It's really no different than the contract threads from a couple years ago.

With salary cap considerations it makes it hard for a team to trade a QB.

Bennett? Yes
Baldwin? Yes
Thomas? Yes

They all have deals that could be moved.

Chapow

Reaction score
Tical21":1yewwli2 said:
Chapow":1yewwli2 said:
Tical21":1yewwli2 said:
Chuck made a pretty compelling argument the other day. Since the highest paid qbs never win Super Bowls, it is smarter for us to go super cheap at quarterback? We could get two very high first rounders from Cleveland. We could get Watson and pay him pennies on the dollar for four years, spend the extra money on a couple more pro-bowlers, keep our picks and add another from Cleveland. We may even be able to get more!

Trade away a franchise QB, the best QB our team has ever had, in his prime, for a couple of draft picks?

And then use one of those picks on a guy that will be exceptionally lucky to ever become even remotely as good as Russ already is right now?

So we would almost certainly end up with a giant, and I mean GIANT, downgrade at QB and one high draft pick. For a franchise QB in his prime.

I dunno, isn't there like a sell high argument to be made here? Getting two firsts for the 14th rated passer in the league, that is at the least showing signs of regression doesn't seem like too awful of a deal. I mean, I dunno, it's really risky, but could be exactly what this franchise needs.

Sure, but isn't there a sell high argument to made for any good QB in the league then? :229031_shrug:

I still think it's an awful argument and the chances of setting the franchise back, and possibly WAY back, are a hell of a lot higher than the chances that getting rid of a franchise QB for 2 draft picks is going to improve the team or the results on the field.

erik2690

Reaction score
Tical21":n6h34og8 said:
I love Russell but it became pretty obvious this year that Marshawn and the defense stirred the drink. Seems kind of a waste to pay any qb a bunch of money. The more we pass, the worse we get. We don't even have to take Watson. What if we took Fournette? Maybe Watson makes it near 25? We could have the running game, the young running qb, have money to get the best tackle in free agency, and still get the Browns' top-3 pick next season as well. Remember, we won with a cheap qb. Let's get back to our roots and win championships.

This is so confusing. Why is an injury riddled 2016 reflective of the future? That makes no sense. He didn't have Marshawn most of 2015 and played great. I don't see how 2016 is more reflective than other years particularly with the injuries.

Anthony!

Reaction score
erik2690":2ct48y78 said:
Tical21":2ct48y78 said:
I love Russell but it became pretty obvious this year that Marshawn and the defense stirred the drink. Seems kind of a waste to pay any qb a bunch of money. The more we pass, the worse we get. We don't even have to take Watson. What if we took Fournette? Maybe Watson makes it near 25? We could have the running game, the young running qb, have money to get the best tackle in free agency, and still get the Browns' top-3 pick next season as well. Remember, we won with a cheap qb. Let's get back to our roots and win championships.

This is so confusing. Why is an injury riddled 2016 reflective of the future? That makes no sense. He didn't have Marshawn most of 2015 and played great. I don't see how 2016 is more reflective than other years particularly with the injuries.

Because it fits his agenda that's why

erik2690

Reaction score
Tical21":ax5e6es0 said:
Chapow":ax5e6es0 said:
Tical21":ax5e6es0 said:

I dunno, isn't there like a sell high argument to be made here? Getting two firsts for the 14th rated passer in the league, that is at the least showing signs of regression doesn't seem like too awful of a deal. I mean, I dunno, it's really risky, but could be exactly what this franchise needs.

You are trolling at this point. He was injured last year. The year before he played great. So a 5th year QB who is injured plays middle of the pack football and that is regression? That doesn't hold water to me. He's the 2nd highest rated passer in history so that is a very odd stat to use.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tical21":1sfn0qq4 said:
Chapow":1sfn0qq4 said:
Tical21":1sfn0qq4 said:

So you'd trade Brady and AR too? Both those 2 guys "values" are sky high too and even higher than RW in most people's eyes..... .....just imagine the draft picks those 2 teams could get. Rosterbation heaven I tell ya!!!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ocw0kbu said:
So you'd trade Brady and AR too? Both those 2 guys "values" are sky high too and even higher than RW in most people's eyes..... .....just imagine the draft picks those 2 teams could get. Rosterbation heaven I tell ya!!!

Glad someone said this. Could not have said it better. If this is such a smart concept why aren't teams with great QBs doing it?

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":3l1vgrmu said:
....I dunno, isn't there like a sell high argument to be made here?.....

Yes there is, but I believe that should be more related to the market price rather than the condition of the seller. :snack:

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1c64hf3d said:
Sports Hernia":1c64hf3d said:

Glad someone said this. Could not have said it better. If this is such a smart concept why aren't teams with great QBs doing it?
Because all anybody has ever done is pay and keep qbs that win a SB, the vast majority wrongfully so. We dominated with running and defense. The further we get from that, the more and more ordinary we become.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":1qh4roy5 said:
seahawkfreak":1qh4roy5 said:
Sports Hernia":1qh4roy5 said:

Because all anybody has ever done is pay and keep qbs that win a SB, the vast majority wrongfully so. We dominated with running and defense. The further we get from that, the more and more ordinary we become.

We had that before Wilson and did nothing, so much for that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tical21":3i3iw6du said:
seahawkfreak":3i3iw6du said:
Sports Hernia":3i3iw6du said:

I'm not trying to be a Richard Cranium, but you didn't answer my question. I'm genuinely curious to see how consistent you are with your theory.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Huh? Trade away a franchise QB? OK. Makes sense to me.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!":mpg5w0mu said:
Tical21":mpg5w0mu said:
seahawkfreak":mpg5w0mu said:
Sports Hernia":mpg5w0mu said:

When was this?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Anthony!":3ji44xv0 said:
Tical21":3ji44xv0 said:
seahawkfreak":3ji44xv0 said:
Sports Hernia":3ji44xv0 said:

We did not have a dominating defense and running game before Wilson was here.

And I love RW, but can we quit asking "would you trade Brady?"

Russ is not Tom Brady.

Latest posts