Chuck Powell interesting idea - trade Russell

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Anthony!":2me53kk1 said:
Silver Hawk":2me53kk1 said:
One of the absolute worst football ideas that I have ever heard. LOL.

Maybe the Seahawks could go back to the days of Tarvaris Jackson or the great Matt Flynn. QB hell.

Agree can anyone tell me the last time a team traded a Franchise Qb who is still not in his prime or in his prime and it worked out? I can't recall one.

Packers... sort of.

Bengals traded Palmer, now have Dalton

Broncos traded Cutler, ended up with Manning

Patriots obviously traded Bledsoe after 4 games of Brady

Vikings traded Brad Johnson for what would become Daunte Culpepper

The Colts traded Jeff George for what would become Marvin Harrison

the 49ers traded Joe Montana (at that time being supplanted by Steve Young) to KC. He led them to an AFC Champsionship

Just a handful of the top of my head. I'd say the turnaround to it "working out" was not immediate, however. Worked well for the Packers, Patriots and 49ers, depending on what qualifications you want to put around that. Brady and Rodgers were not sure things. But Young certain was

Anthony!

Reaction score
canfan":3v2sofn8 said:
Tical21":3v2sofn8 said:
I love Russell but it became pretty obvious this year that Marshawn and the defense stirred the drink. Seems kind of a waste to pay any qb a bunch of money. The more we pass, the worse we get. We don't even have to take Watson. What if we took Fournette? Maybe Watson makes it near 25? We could have the running game, the young running qb, have money to get the best tackle in free agency, and still get the Browns' top-3 pick next season as well. Remember, we won with a cheap qb. Let's get back to our roots and win championships.

I guess I would like to ask that if a cheap QB and a superior running game are a ticket to the SB, why don't the Vikings have 2 or 3 rings by now? I think you might need the "right" cheap QB to make this work. It took us 40 years to get a consensus top 10 QB. I don't think we should just abandon him.

Personally I am cautious about drawing too many conclusions from this year. I think there were many issues that led to the end result (which was still a Division win and a play off appearance!). I would put the lack of talent out of the 2013 and 2014 draft as a larger team issue than Wilson's salary.

Wilsons salary is not an issue at all. We have almost 30 mil in cap space. OF the top 10 paid players on our team 7 are on Defense. Of the top 15 9 are on defense, 2 St and 4 Offense.

For the top 15 we are talking about players such as:
Kearse
Lane
Rubin

Just those 3 alone takes up over 14 mil and are certainly not proving enough to warrant that money. We are spending 82 mil on defense and 59 on offense. Wilsons contract is not the problem. The oline is the problem and we have the money to fix it

canfan

Reaction score
"Wilsons salary is not an issue at all. We have almost 30 mil in cap space. OF the top 10 paid players on our team 9 are on Defense. OF the top 15 9 ar eon defense, 2 St and 4 Offense."

I agree completely. Well said.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":10nwdm7b said:
Anthony!":10nwdm7b said:
Silver Hawk":10nwdm7b said:
One of the absolute worst football ideas that I have ever heard. LOL.

Maybe the Seahawks could go back to the days of Tarvaris Jackson or the great Matt Flynn. QB hell.

Agree can anyone tell me the last time a team traded a Franchise Qb who is still not in his prime or in his prime and it worked out? I can't recall one.

Packers... sort of.

Bengals traded Palmer, now have Dalton

Broncos traded Cutler, ended up with Manning

Patriots obviously traded Bledsoe after 4 games of Brady

Vikings traded Brad Johnson for what would become Daunte Culpepper

The Colts traded Jeff George for what would become Marvin Harrison

the 49ers traded Joe Montana (at that time being supplanted by Steve Young) to KC. He led them to an AFC Champsionship

Just a handful of the top of my head. I'd say the turnaround to it "working out" was not immediate, however. Worked well for the Packers, Patriots and 49ers, depending on what qualifications you want to put around that. Brady and Rodgers were not sure things. But Young certain was

Lets look at that shall we

Packers they already had Rodgers

Bengals and how many SB have the won or even been too? NONE

Broncos traded Cutler they did get Manning but it was not in trade it was a FA signing so not applicable also took a while

Patriots had Brady already and are we really saying Bledsoe was a Franchise QB?

Vikings again how many SB have the won NONE

Colts okay but do you really call George a franchise Qb? I don't

Sf they already had Young so not the same again

So again show me one we a team traded a Franchise QB not even in his prime and it worked out and think as it relates to our situation which should have been a given.

Seymour

Reaction score
Anthony!":2i8sr88e said:
Wilsons salary is not an issue at all. We have almost 30 mil in cap space. OF the top 10 paid players on our team 9 are on Defense. OF the top 15 9 ar eon defense, 2 St and 4 Offense.

Kearse
Lane
Rubin

Just those 3 alone takes up over 14 mil and are certainly not proving enough to warrant that money. We are spending 82 mil on defense and 59 on offense. Wilsons contract is not the problem. The oline is the problem and we have the money to fix it

Sounds great but where do you come up with that?

Not true.

#1 Wilson @ 21.9 ave per year
#3 Baldwin @ 11.5 ave per year
#6 Graham @ 10.0 ave per year

All our money is geared toward passing and yet we want to be a run first team. Just one of several issues I hope we address this season.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I know we all get emotional because RW is our guy, but the premise isnt necessarily as horrible as some claim it be.

It certainly has the potential to backfire (as any trade would) but depending on what you got with the picks, and how the replacement QB performed, it is at least worth thinking about even if it seems insane.

I don't think the idea was floated as an anti RW claim as much as it is a "Seattle needs to get back to its model that brought them Super Bowl appearances" idea

Now I dont think that I would personally pull the trigger on that....as others have said, very risky to trade a stud when you have one, but to straight up dismiss it seems a bit of an emotional overreaction.

classicaaron

Reaction score
this really is a pretty stupid scenario. why don't we go one further from his thought and trade Wilson and just play Boykin so we don't have to waste one of those picks on a QB. Instead we get Dalvin Cook and a couple lineman and win the superbowl.

the whole statement is just idiotic. hes on the assumption that since we lucked out with Wilson that whatever cheap QB we would get we would also luck out on. Hawks were extremely fortunate Wilson worked out, most quarterbacks don't so def no reason to trade a franchise QB for a giant maybe. for all we know Watson is the next RG3.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seymour":2nmaa7xj said:
Anthony!":2nmaa7xj said:
Wilsons salary is not an issue at all. We have almost 30 mil in cap space. OF the top 10 paid players on our team 9 are on Defense. OF the top 15 9 ar eon defense, 2 St and 4 Offense.

Kearse
Lane
Rubin

Not true.

All our money is geared toward passing and yet we want to be a run first team. Just one of several issues I hope we address this season.

AHH THANKS, I miss typed should have been 7 on defense, not 9 the 9 was top 15. the rest is true though

I agree we are gearing toward throwing hence Why I said fix the oline

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Anthony!":2enetgp1 said:

Broncos traded Cutler they did get Manning but it was not in trade it was a FA signing so not applicable also took a while

So again show me one we a team traded a Franchise QB not even in his prime and it worked out and think as it relates to our situation which should have been a given.

You ask a question, get an answer, then twist that answer to fit your already solidified view point.

Lot's of fun...

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2gste37r said:
I know we all get emotional because RW is our guy, but the premise isnt necessarily as horrible as some claim it be.

It certainly has the potential to backfire (as any trade would) but depending on what you got with the picks, and how the replacement QB performed, it is at least worth thinking about even if it seems insane.

I don't think the idea was floated as an anti RW claim as much as it is a "Seattle needs to get back to its model that brought them Super Bowl appearances" idea

Now I dont think that I would personally pull the trigger on that....as others have said, very risky to trade a stud when you have one, but to straight up dismiss it seems a bit of an emotional overreaction.

I dont agree as when it comes down to it it is the ROI or risk versus reward the risk is way higher than the reward. This has little to do with emotion as much as facts. Trading a Franchise Qb who has not even entered his prime is just plain stupid unless you are totally rebuilding and given the age of our defensive core you can't totally rebuild right now. FYI also the model that brought us SB appearances involves a franchise Level 5 tool QB, and those don't come around every day. 5 tool meaning;

can throw from the pocket
can throw on the run
can run
can scramble
high efficiency and low TO

Those don't come around every year, right now there are really only 2

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":38p6i63k said:
Anthony!":38p6i63k said:

You ask a question, get an answer, then twist that answer to fit your already solidified view point.

Lot's of fun...

LOl if you say so again those are not examples that match the Seahawks situation something I would have thought was a given next time I will specify and again at least 2 of those are not franchise Qb to begin with, so you did not trade a franchise Qb but thanks for trying

Seymour

Reaction score
Anthony!":eq4dsfja said:
Seymour":eq4dsfja said:
Anthony!":eq4dsfja said:

Kearse
Lane
Rubin

Not true.

AHH THANKS, I miss typed should have been 7 on defense, not 9 the 9 was top 15. the rest is true though

I agree we are gearing toward throwing hence Why I said fix the oline

And that part I 100% agree on. It makes no sense to not invest to protect and maximize our biggest assets.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Tical21":5o5cv41t said:
I love Russell but it became pretty obvious this year that Marshawn and the defense stirred the drink. Seems kind of a waste to pay any qb a bunch of money. The more we pass, the worse we get. We don't even have to take Watson. What if we took Fournette? Maybe Watson makes it near 25? We could have the running game, the young running qb, have money to get the best tackle in free agency, and still get the Browns' top-3 pick next season as well. Remember, we won with a cheap qb. Let's get back to our roots and win championships.

When you say Lynch stirred the drink, I assume you're referring to his impact in the running game. It was significant, but the running game for Seattle didn't take off until Russell arrived and added his ability. As Cable said, they were "peanut butter and jelly. Just look at the rankings and numbers over time. The media constantly overlooked this and only referred to the loss of Lynch as a cause for the running game's drop-off. That's what made last year such a struggle. We not only had to break in a new running back crew and OL, but Russell's ability to affect the running game went out the door.

Year and Team rushing ranking based on yards per game.
2011 20th..(lynch yrds 1,204)
2012 4th...(lynch yrds 1,590)<-- Russell Drafted
2013 4th...(lynch yrds 1,257)
2014 1st...(lynch yrds 1,306)
2015 3rd...(lynch yrds 417 / Rawls yrds 830)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Those are each franchise QBs that were traded in their prime... regardless of your definition. All but one was traded for a 1st round draft pick (so LOL?) And if you want to add parameters to your requests for information, just say them... or say "rhetorically speaking" because that's really what you meant.

like pre-school in here sometimes...

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ebllrmmv said:
Those are each franchise QBs that were traded in their prime... regardless of your definition. All but one was traded for a 1st round draft pick (so LOL?) And if you want to add parameters to your requests for information, just say them... or say "rhetorically speaking" because that's really what you meant.

\

1 at least 2 of your examples are not franchise Qbs just because you want to prove some point does not make them franchise Qbs. As to trading for a first round pick that does not mean it worked out. Ryan Leaf was a first round pick how did that workout. Next time I will make sure to spell it out in simple English since expecting some common sense in here is a waste of time. But thanks for your input anyway.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Gotta build around the Franchise QB IMO. I'd be more willing to trade Sherman and/or Chancellor to get more youth and depth in the defense. And if PC and DB are so hell bent on being this run first team, then trade Graham bring in another RB without the head issues of Michael. And do what it takes to have a good Run Block O-Line

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Anthony!":36vsug6w said:
Uncle Si":36vsug6w said:

\

1 at least 2 of your examples are not franchise Qbs just because you want to prove some point does not make them franchise Qbs. As to trading for a first round pick that does not mean it worked out. Ryan Leaf was a first round pick how did that workout. Next time I will make sure to spell it out in simple English since expecting some common sense in here is a waste of time. But thanks for your input anyway.

I gave like 7 examples (all off the top of my head. probably more)... and you don't trade a 1st round pick for a guy that would not be your franchise QB. Ryan Leif was the team's franchise QB. He didn't work out. Bledsoe took the Pats to the playoffs before getting hurt. Favre was the team's francise QB. Noone had any idea how Rodgers would work out (by your logic, the same position as Leaf)... nor Brady for that matter (a 6th rounder with 3 wins).

What happened to the QBs after they were traded was not the question. The question, as you put it, was has a franchise QB ever been traded in his prime (yes, examples given) and how has it worked out for the team that did it.

The examples I gave were reflections of your question. Your inability to accept it is of no concern. You mistake common sense as your own opinion.

I already said trading Wilson was a bad idea (agreeing with you). But it's not unheard of in NFL history, which is what you had asked.

KillerB

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2ftx7es1 said:
It's a false equivalency because he's looking through the Tom Brady lens, who is probably the most criminally underpaid player in NFL history. But Brady is ok with it because he's made enough money and his wife is richer than he will ever be. Can't fairly compare anyone to Brady, because he should be the highest paid player in the league. He just willingly takes less.

So you're saying we should hope Ciara really blows up as a cash money pop star... :D

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1b1jz9ik said:
Anthony!":1b1jz9ik said:
Uncle Si":1b1jz9ik said:

\

I gave like 7 examples (all off the top of my head. probably more)... and you don't trade a 1st round pick for a guy that would not be your franchise QB. Ryan Leif was the team's franchise QB. He didn't work out. Bledsoe took the Pats to the playoffs before getting hurt. Favre was the team's francise QB. Noone had any idea how Rodgers would work out (by your logic, the same position as Leaf)... nor Brady for that matter (a 6th rounder with 3 wins).

What happened to the QBs after they were traded was not the question. The question, as you put it, was has a franchise QB ever been traded in his prime (yes, examples given) and how has it worked out for the team that did it.

The examples I gave were reflections of your question. Your inability to accept it is of no concern. You mistake common sense as your own opinion.

I already said trading Wilson was a bad idea. But it's not unheard of in NFL history, which is what you had asked.

Like I said I should not have taken for granted that you would use common sense and think about tit as it relates to our position. Yes you provided 7 examples off the top of your head most of which are not 2 were not franchise Qbs 2 already had another franchise Qb waiting and those 4 alone do not fit were we are. Like I said common sense. I will no better next time then presume people can use common sense

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If it were up to me I would do it but it would have to worth it. What would be worth It?

From The Browns:
Joe Thomas
Danny Shelton

Browns get Wilson but also have to take:

Darrell Bevell
Jermaine Kearse
Jeremy Lane
Kevin Pierre-Louis
I'll give them our 2017 1st Rounder as well.

Seahawks then flip #1 overall to the Bills for #10, Tyrod Taylor, 2nd Rounder, and 2017 1st Rounder.

Seahawks then drop another 7-10 spots to pick up another 2nd Rounder using the #12 pick.

Draft Gods then appease me with guaranteeing these players in our top100 selections.

1a: RB, Leonard Fournette, LSU
1b: DB, Jabrill Peppers, Mich
1c: OT, Ryan Ramzyck, Wisc
2a: DB, Budda Baker, UW
2b: WR, Juju Smith-Schuster, USC
2c: NB, Jourdan Lewis, Mich
3a: CB, Kevin King, UW

Fournette gives us that big, dominant bruising force to complement with Rawls and Prosise.

Fant can develop behind Thomas for a couple of seasons, Ramzyck takes over the RT spot as a big, nasty road grader with LT potential. Bookends upgraded.

Peppers, Baker, and King become heir apparent to Chancellor, Thomas, and Sherman respectfully. King / Elliot compete at RCB this year, then Lewis/Baker for NCB. Lewis isn't the ideal Seahawks metric but the guy can lock down and make plays. Hes a little guy that has the potential to matchup and erase other little guys and his awareness + ball skills are superb, so don't think he's another Kelly Jennings( so I'm hoping Lewis drops in this deep class because his size) I really wanted Sidney Jones too but Peppers made more sense and adds value as a returner which is needed with Locketts status in doubt.

Juju Smith-Schuster gives the team a very needed tall, strong, big-bodied possession WR on the outside that will upgrade the RZ offense. He will compete with McEvoy and possibly Kasen Williams for the Kearse role.

Danny Shelton gives the Seahawks another young elite run stuffer that will form an immovable wall with Reed for the future. Think of the Williams wall of the past Vikings. Rubin moves into the rotation as a backup at both spots.

So now the Seahawks are deeper at every group with new young players barring QB and LB, we can get LBs in rounds 4-7.

I don't think Tyrod Taylor is the defacto answer, so we give him some competition. Colin Kaepernick is available. We sign him on cheap backup deal for a QB, 5-6 m, and let him compete for a starting opportunity.

So we went from Wilson to a competition of elite athletes at QB with ample starting experience between them, that leaves only one sizeable void and that is OC.

I would go after the guy who has experience with both the new QBs, a guy who has an Oline background and commitment to developing a dominant running game that would mesh well with Cable's schemes and philosophies. Who is sort of a OT/TE specialist coach in his past that can help develop our guys into competent blockers. That guy would be, Greg Roman.

No Russell Wilson but you can't deny that this make over would be awesome all things considering, we get younger and more physical across the board especially in a revamped secondary with guys developing to take over for the future.

And I can't imagine a Seahawks running game with its Oline potential, with Taylor and Kaepernick, with Roman and Cable together, and with a hopefully healthy stable of RBs that features Fournette, Rawls, and Prosise.

Damn, but yeah all that has to happen for me to trade Russell Wilson.

Latest posts