Clay Matthews dirty hit

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
JaiSeaSea":1gj2hlmj said:
You're delusional. His head damn near twisted off. Clay Matthews is a dirty ass player. Kam loves to hit as hard as he can but doesn't head hunt. GTFO of here with that BS. He "dips" is shoulder a little but it isn't to lay off from killing him. He knew exactly what he was doing. Same as last year with the late hit out of bounds on Kaepernick.

Dirty... ass.. player

Yup, the only reason he led with his shoulder was to smokescreen his actual intent. Bouncing the QB's neck from stop to stop is not an 'incidental, glancing blow..' how ridiculous can the homerific rationalizations get :177692: Then of course we always have one or two hawk fans that throw their brains out of joint trying to appear objective by agreeing with an opponent's ridiculously beyond colored viewpoint.

APB

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":16zyb0rw said:
APB, please list Kam Chancellor fines. Spotrac has the most detailed database I can find and they only list 1 (late hit). They list 4 for Matthews (late hit, roughing the passer, helmet-to-helmet, face mask). So you are wrong. And a troll. And nothing you can ever say or do will change the fact that the Seahawks are playing for their 2nd Super Bowl in a row.

If I'm missing the correct info, let me know where you get your data. I'd appreciate the link.
Spotrac database is clearly not current. Kam was fined $20,000 for this hit on Boldin in 2011...

Boom

and another $40,000 for his hit on Kendricks a week later for his hit on Lance Kendricks.

Those are two fines for the same type offenses you claim makes Matthews a dirty player that I was able to find off a simple google search. I'm guessing there are more but I have neither the time nor inclination to do a more thorough search as it's clear my point is made. Kam's also been penalized multiple times for illegal contact to the head and neck area and blind-siding opposing players...Todd Heap ring a bell?

5618dbb32c13a698a56c8c7dc699eceebc4fd8c985cdf0925g

Kam sure rung his. Or how about Santana Moss?

I'm sure all of these hits were applauded when it was Kam delivering them. Seems hypocritical for the same fans to now label Matthews as dirty, don't you think?

Look, I'm disappointed in the loss but it doesn't take away from the fact Matthews was simply delivering a blow at the speed of the game which was deemed illegal. Penalties happen. For a fan base that prides itself on its teams hard hitting defense, I would think a hit like this would be viewed as within the realm of football rather than causing you all to get your collective panties in a wad.

My two cents. Congratulations on advancing.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
APB":30qf8nin said:
HawkAroundTheClock":30qf8nin said:
APB, please list Kam Chancellor fines. Spotrac has the most detailed database I can find and they only list 1 (late hit). They list 4 for Matthews (late hit, roughing the passer, helmet-to-helmet, face mask). So you are wrong. And a troll. And nothing you can ever say or do will change the fact that the Seahawks are playing for their 2nd Super Bowl in a row.

If I'm missing the correct info, let me know where you get your data. I'd appreciate the link.
Spotrac database is clearly not current. Kam was fined $20,000 for this hit on Boldin in 2011...

Boom

and another $40,000 for his hit on Kendricks a week later for his hit on Lance Kendricks.

Those are two fines for the same type offenses you claim makes Matthews a dirty player that I was able to find off a simple google search. I'm guessing there are more but I have neither the time nor inclination to do a more thorough search as it's clear my point is made. Kam's also been penalized multiple times for illegal contact to the head and neck area and blind-siding opposing players...Todd Heap ring a bell?

I'm sure all of these hits were applauded when it was Kam delivering them. Seems hypocritical for the same fans to now label Matthews as dirty, don't you think?

Look, I'm disappointed in the loss but it doesn't take away from the fact Matthews was simply delivering a blow at the speed of the game which was deemed illegal. Penalties happen. For a fan base that prides itself on its teams hard hitting defense, I would think a hit like this would be viewed as within the realm of football rather than causing you all to get your collective panties in a wad.

You miss the point. It isn't the hard hits that most seem to have a problem with. It's the H2H that seems purposeful whether you call it incidental or not. Would I have liked the hit on my QB anymore if it was all body and just as hard? No, definately not but I wouldn't claim that it was dirty either.

In both of those fined, illegal hits Kam, don't seem to be just trying to knock his head off. Yeah I am definately biased but I just don't see it the same.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
APB":4xfn4aac said:
HawkAroundTheClock":4xfn4aac said:

Boom

People are emotional because it was Russell Wilson who got clocked in the head. I'm sure you would feel the same way if Kam had decleated Rodgers.

But I agree with you. Matthews is a phenomenal competitor. Everyone would love him if he were a Seahawk.

Vegas12

Reaction score
New to .NET been a lurker forever! This site is like crack!
That hit was extremely dirty given the point of contact and the fact that Russ was already engaged by another defender!
That being said he was in the middle of the field during a return and IMHO fair game.
Even if that had been another player other than Russell it would've been a dirty hit though.

I was watching the Sound FX from last week and remember Matthews telling Romo, after a play in which Tony gave himself up for a sack, "I would've gotten down too" basically saying he was looking to hit him hard and not just make a play on him.

Then you watch Kuechley against us and make a blindside block on ADB and immediately apologise and help him up, saying "sorry bro, I had to". I gained a ton of respect for him after that. Matthews not so much!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If Kam had unloaded on Rogers that way he would have been tossed from the game, fined, and probably suspended for the Super Bowl.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He led with his head and it is something Mathews has done his whole career. How about the late hit diving at Romo's knees? The hit on Kaep? The list goes on and on. He will be fined heavily and his reputation around the league is as a dirty player. Can't stand the guy.

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, guess what?...Who is sitting at home today wondering what just happened?

He can watch the SUPER BOWL with US in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Largent80 with a checkmate. I like it and it puts it in perspective.

cdn hawk fan

Reaction score
NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent regarding. Washington redskin hit on qb foles recently.....story goes on but this was key....

" Vincent states ... While a quarterback following a change of possession is regarded as “defenseless,” that designation means only that he can’t be hit in the head or neck area or with a helmet. "
So....Matthews hit on Russell was not clean and hopefully will result in a fine as the initial contact was to Russell's helmet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... the-rules/

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
irocdave":14gm9cyg said:
I thought the same thing about Sweezy spearing him in the ribs. Payback and I'd take the penalty for it every time. That hit seemed to get the team out of the funk they were in.
Yeah I love that Sweezy stood up for his QB. Indicative of the closeness of our team thus season. Well worth the 15.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2x3bh2rf said:
irocdave":2x3bh2rf said:
I thought the same thing about Sweezy spearing him in the ribs. Payback and I'd take the penalty for it every time. That hit seemed to get the team out of the funk they were in.
Yeah I love that Sweezy stood up for his QB. Indicative of the closeness of our team thus season. Well worth the 15.
I am immensely disappointed that know one else did. Especially our staff. Also don't forget this was after a third questionable hit from Mathews. The blind side, the one on the slide, & this attempt to mash Russell's head into the carpet.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawknation2015":gjz3ei9z said:
He's a competitor and played a great game for them. If he were a Seahawk, we all love him and you know it.
Why don't you prove this and point out what dirty-hitting Seahawk player we have that we love? Kam's fines have been helmet-to-helmet hits that were clearly inadvertent. Matthews has cheap-shotted people 50 miles out of bounds repeatedly.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
According to the rules, it was an illegal hit.

The rules don't define what a dirty hit is. Was HGH Brows trying to knock Russ out? Sure he was. So would I. A trip to the Bowl was on the line. It was flagged, Russ lived, move on. Rules are rules, they were enforced, and most of the fans here are just being protective of Russ. Most of these fans loved it when Tate derped the Dallas linebacker the same way a couple years back.

Now was Roid Boy's shot at Romo's knees the week before dirty? Sure as shit it was.

ManBunts

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":24mjxjvy said:

It was a cheap hit in the sense that there was helmet to helmet and it was a blindside, yes, but let's be honest guys. Any one of our guys would take the same opportunity to knock the crap out of the opposing QB. I'm not saying they'd do it dirty. In fact I'm quite proud of how well our team tackles in a very brutal but clean manner. But let's just make sure we're getting angry about the right things here. Be angry that it was a blind side and head hunting. But don't be made just because it's Russell, because we would've done it too.

And for Packers fans, the extra anger you see is because Mathews has a history of some incredibly cheap shots, which is why we suspect more than just "oh he was trying to make a play and had a bad angle" or whatever. He does things that go way beyond accident or momentum or even heat of the moment. There's a lot of sentiment throughout the LEAGUE, not just us, that Mathews is getting off light with his family name. Suh is easy to label a villain, the big bad man from Detroit, and I'm not justifying what he does, but Mathews does some disgraceful stuff. And what's worse is he's a good player, he doesn't need to do that.
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/1/19/785 ... y-matthews

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I believe It would have been handled differently if one of our guys had done that to Rogers and we are only talking about the worst of several cheap shots Mathews took or attempted to take at our QB.

canfan

Reaction score
APB":pcyaxpea said:
Oh please. He hit him with his shoulder while Wilson was pursuing the play. The only reason it WAS called a penalty is because it was a hit against the QB.

Comments like this from fans who celebrate every LOB hit is laughable.

Oh please. Mathews is now and has always been a cheap shot aartist who makes a habit of hitting late and hitting out of bounds. Does not get called on it nearly enough.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Seriously you guys, I find it so annoying that so many people are incapable of putting themselves in someone else's shoes to help themselves come to a rational and logical conclusion about things.

Remember the Fail Mary? If we were on the other side of that we would probably say it was an interception, but because the call went our way most fans on message boards simply decided that it was the right call and that was that.

Tough hits on opposing players? When its a hawk laying the hit, 90% of posters will say it was clean.
Tough hits on Hawks? It was dirty, because only the Hawks can hit hard and keep it clean....

I dont like seeing Wilson get hit like that, but that's one more reason to avoid turnovers, and it is always a possibility when your QB doesn't want to just stand there and watch.

Could the Matthews hit have been cleaner? Of course. That gif does show H2H at the point of contact, but the force of the H2H was nothing compared to the force delivered by Matthews' shoulder. It's not like he LAUNCHED himself into Wilson with his Helmet clearly leading the way to deliver the hit.

The play could have been cleaner, but if Matthews REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to hurt Wilson then Wilson would be undergoing surgery this week and we'd be debating whether or not we will beat the Patriots with Tarvaris Jackson.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
APB":3sby8i9d said:
HawkAroundTheClock":3sby8i9d said:

Spotrac database is clearly not current.
Then where do you get your info? Is there a chance he won his appeal(s)? I really don't know.

I'm guessing there are more...
Oh... guessing. Sounds legit. I'm guessing Rodgers went home, put on Bridget Jones' Diary and ate 2 gallons of Chubby Hubby. Must be so. Not having time or inclination is not a valid excuse for believing something that isn't true.

I'm sure all of these hits were applauded when it was Kam delivering them. Seems hypocritical...
Oh... you're "sure." Sounds legit to label people hypocritical for something you intuited out of nothing. There's no chance that a majority of the Seahawks fan base appreciates good, sound fundamental tackling, huh? Or that we could appreciate a player improving his technique, such as Kam not getting a helmet-to-helmet fine over the past 3 seasons, including 7 playoff games. His only fine(s) for that came in his 1st year as a starter.

Matthews had 3 fines for illegal hits in 2013, his 5th year in the league. You're the one who brought up fines as a measuring stick and compared these two players. Too bad that didn't work out for you. I'm sure it stings that your team lost, so from one fan to another, I do feel empathy. But if roles were reversed I would just go away and not take my frustrations out by throwing stones from my glass house.