Clay Matthews dirty hit

APB

Reaction score
The hit drew a penalty which, if I'm not mistaken, makes it illegal.

So am I to assume from your response thats a clean hit? He wasn't intending to hurt the opposing player? After all, this is the criteria applied to Matthews hit, right?

seafence82

Reaction score
there is a clear difference in intent you can see in slow mo - kam hits Davis torso with an effort to go the midsection while clay is focused trying to hit Russell in the head.

vonstout

Reaction score
APB":qce36jzr said:
It's a legitimate question. Many of you called out Matthews for making a "dirty" hit. Answer the question. Was Kam's hit dirty? Is he a dirty player?

I now live near Madison, WI so I see a lot of Packer games. I have to say Mathews is a great player, but I think he was headhunting. I don't think you would see Rodgers going for the tackle like Russ did, even if he was healthy. I'm not sure that Russ would normally, but this is the NFCCG. I wouldn't call Mathews a dirty player, but this was a very questionable block, especially since it was a QB. Kam isn't a dirty player ,IMO. He does try to knock the shit out of everyone, but he isn't usually hitting QB's and Mathews is.

vonstout

Reaction score
APB":3tm8supn said:
The hit drew a penalty which, if I'm not mistaken, makes it illegal.

So am I to assume from your response thats a clean hit? He wasn't intending to hurt the opposing player? After all, this is the criteria applied to Matthews hit, right?

The league said after the game that it shouldn't have been penalized and he didn't get fined if my memory is any good.

APB

Reaction score
seafence82":3td1rdur said:
there is a clear difference in intent you can see in slow mo - kam hits Davis torso with an effort to go the midsection while clay is focused trying to hit Russell in the head.
Yes, but there is incidental h2h contact, just like the Matthews hit. He knocked Davis cold.

Kam's been fined several times. If you like, I could post video of those hits and we could discuss them. Point is, do hits like this - hits intended to inflict injury, as has been suggested of the Matthews hit - does the same criteria apply to Kam? Would you argue Kam is just playing hard and it's part of the game?

Chawks1

Reaction score
APB":3k8q8qos said:
SoCalSeahawk":3k8q8qos said:
APB":3k8q8qos said:
Kam makes a hit like this and you celebrate it.

Matthews clearly turns his shoulder into the hit to save from completely laying Wilson out and he's a d-bag.

I think I get it now.

A Blind side block is illegal, helmet to helmet has nothing to do with it. Kam does not blind side block opposing quarterbacks after they throw INTs. He knocks the everloving shit out of opposing RBs straight up....like a man. Matthews shames his bloodline.
Like this?
kamhit.gif

I could pull up several hits like this. Is this dirty play? Was Kam intending to hurt him? Is Kam a dirty player?

APB, clays reputation is well documented. There is no defense of him. What about this one?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AiSm6Gjr9sI

homerun1970

Reaction score
Ok a few items
1. Davis had the ball
2. Nfl stated it shouldn't have been a flag
3. There was no Helmet to helmet contact.
4. that hit was to the body the fact that it knocked vernon out speaks to Kam being a bad man.
5.Mathews hit was initiated to the head first point of contact

If you want to continue to be thick go for it cause this is my last response to you. I get to celebrate tonight you on the other hand have nothing to celebrate now.

Foghawk

Reaction score
APB":25w9594n said:
seafence82":25w9594n said:
Yes, but there is incidental h2h contact, just like the Matthews hit. He knocked Davis cold.

Kam's been fined several times. If you like, I could post video of those hits and we could discuss them. Point is, do hits like this - hits intended to inflict injury, as has been suggested of the Matthews hit - does the same criteria apply to Kam? Would you argue Kam is just playing hard and it's part of the game?

Slow-Mo clearly shows this as a legal hit and a textbook example of how it's done.

VernonDavisCrushed_original.gif

APB

Reaction score
Chawks1":1pn5d952 said:
APB":1pn5d952 said:
SoCalSeahawk":1pn5d952 said:
APB":1pn5d952 said:
Kam makes a hit like this and you celebrate it.

Matthews clearly turns his shoulder into the hit to save from completely laying Wilson out and he's a d-bag.

I think I get it now.

A Blind side block is illegal, helmet to helmet has nothing to do with it. Kam does not blind side block opposing quarterbacks after they throw INTs. He knocks the everloving shit out of opposing RBs straight up....like a man. Matthews shames his bloodline.
Like this?
kamhit.gif

I could pull up several hits like this. Is this dirty play? Was Kam intending to hurt him? Is Kam a dirty player?

APB, clays reputation is well documented. There is no defense of him. What about this one?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AiSm6Gjr9sI
Shall I pull up more hits from Kam? Hits that were fined, if it pleases you? He's certainly been fined more than Matthews.

I'm simply asking - if these examples of Matthews are an indictment of "dirty" play, is Kam also dirty? Or are they both simply playing hard and delivering hits at the speed of the game?

lobohawk

Reaction score
APB":5jq9557o said:
It's a legitimate question. Many of you called out Matthews for making a "dirty" hit. Answer the question. Was Kam's hit dirty? Is he a dirty player?

Umm..no Kam's hit wasn't dirty as he hit Davis in the chest/shoulder. It just looks bad because Davis' head snaps forward.

Tical21

Reaction score
I thought it was relatively clean, besides the fact that he was trying to take out the quarterback. He didnt lead with the helmet or target the head. Still, if Russell doesn't get hit a little bit by the other guy just before impact, he probably doesn't get up. The hit was really nothing more than a glancing blow.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":zyamstok said:
You could not include anything from today and prove that Matthews is dirty. He hits every QB late and is not all that he is touted to be.
Hmm. He does do that alot.

Either way hawks won. Woooooo

djb28

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1awpdtp3 said:
Exittium":1awpdtp3 said:
Dudes just a scumbag. They came in and played fake tough, and got away with it duck is Rogers

Just uncalled for, you don't have to kill someone to take him out of the play. Damn I dislike that guy and his hair.
You call that scraggly mess, hair?

kobebryant

Reaction score
I didn't mind this play from Matthews that much. It's football.

Kam got Heap, Tate got Lee in similar fashion.

I had a major bigger problem with Matthews going after Romo's knees late last week.

It's too bad too, Clay was one of my favorite non-Seahawks. But ever since he missed a playoff game with a broken thumb (cut it off and get out there; I remember Tapp had like a 3 sack game once essentially with a plaster club on his hand) I've been neutral on him.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Considering the INSANELY late out-of-bounds hit he put on Kaepernick, and then the really late knee shot at Romo, among others...

Matthews is a dirty POS.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
To answer your question Article 9, section (a), #7 means since Wilson is a quarterback on a change of possession (Interception) then he is automatically considered a defenseless player (regardless where he is on the field and what he is doing). Now what makes this an illegal hit is Article 9 section (b), #1 where the contact with Wilson's head and neck region makes this an Unnecessary contact penalty against a defenseless player.

As far as your question about Kam and his hit on Vernon. Yes Vernon was considered a Defenseless player per section (a), #2 of this rule section but the contact made by Kam did not fulfill the criteria of section (b) #1 or #2.

Do you remember that hit on Foles by Chris Baker earlier in the season when Foles threw that interception. The NFL came out and said that was a clean hit only due to the lack of contact made in the head and neck area. The only difference with Wilson and Foles was where that contact took place.

Welcome to the NFL rule book APB. Feel free to share this on your packer board thread although we both know it wont change you or your friends green and gold tinted views.

Article 9 It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless
posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to
protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or
warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5) A player on the ground at the end of a play;
(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return;
(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession, and
(8) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and
approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or
shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless
player by encircling or grasping him; and
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of
the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.
Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a
conventional tackle on an opponent

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I'm not gonna cry about it. You know EVERY defensive player secretly hopes for that moment they can possibly take a QB out of the game (especially a big one like this). This is why there is that term "keep your head on a swivel" especially for the QB.