Clay Matthews dirty hit

Threedee

Reaction score
Matthews also targeted Kaeperpick during the revenge game after the blowout Divisional Round loss to the Niners when they met again 1st week, last season. He made it known he was hunting for Kaeperpick, and finally hit him late out of bounds. It even caused a minor rules controversy, because the refs assessed the penalty incorrectly, and changed the way the drive ended.

canfan

Reaction score
APB":3pwejo5d said:
SomersetHawk":3pwejo5d said:
APB":3pwejo5d said:
EMTHawkfan":3pwejo5d said:
Bitch move by Matthews...blindside hit on the QB away from the play...didn't need to happen and it's illegal!!! He knew exactly what he was doing and it was properly flagged...up until today I had thought of him as a good, clean player
Not h2h and not away from the play. Matthews led with his shoulder to block Wilson who was clearly pursuing the runner. Had Matthews truly wanted to destroy Wilson, he could have very easily. He didn't.

clay-matthews-hit-on-russell-wilson-nfc-championship-replay.gif

It's football, folks. You probably celebrated the Browner hit on Greg Jennings a few years ago. This was much cleaner than that hit. And here I thought you Seahawk fans appreciated tough, hard-hitting football...?

Um, helmet to helmet is clearly the first contact there.
Incidental contact and it was merely a glancing blow with the helmet. He clearly turned to lead with the shoulder. That's football, folks.

Its also a fine "folks". He is coming back upfield to blindside a player and makes head to head contact - intent is irrelevant. Very similar to what got Golden Tate a hefty fine a couple of years ago. Enjoy refining your cow tipping skills in the off season.

Pats fan1

Reaction score
Oh come on. We all know if someone on the "Legion Of Boom" made a big hit like that not many if any Seahawks fans would have complained.

It's like the hypocrisy of Ravens and Steelers fans who's team have a history of being cheap short artists (James Harrison, Ryan Clark, Hines Ward, Bernard Pollard, Ray Lewis) and love it when their guys make big hits but whine when someone hits their players.

It's complete hypocrisy.

canfan

Reaction score
Pats fan1":190ryzv1 said:
Oh come on. We all know if someone on the "Legion Of Boom" made a big hit like that not many if any Seahawks fans would have complained.

It's like the hypocrisy of Ravens and Steelers fans who's team have a history of being cheap short artists (James Harrison, Ryan Clark, Hines Ward, Bernard Pollard, Ray Lewis) and love it when their guys make big hits but whine when someone hits their players.

It's complete hypocrisy.

Don't you have a ball to deflate somewhere?

Pats fan1

Reaction score
canfan":1fdithun said:
Pats fan1":1fdithun said:

It's complete hypocrisy.

Sure, after you give us some more of your players on PED's. :)

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Pats fan1":2zs3crvt said:
Sure, after you give us some more of your players on PHD's. :)

I know of no player trying to earn a doctorate degree. The last one I remember is Dan Doornink.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
canfan":18nlidyc said:
Pats fan1":18nlidyc said:

It's complete hypocrisy.

You might as well save your breath canfan, you can teach a monkey to ride a bicycle, but you ain't never going to teach it to build one.

canfan

Reaction score
APB":4v8n0182 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":4v8n0182 said:
APB, please list Kam Chancellor fines. Spotrac has the most detailed database I can find and they only list 1 (late hit). They list 4 for Matthews (late hit, roughing the passer, helmet-to-helmet, face mask). So you are wrong. And a troll. And nothing you can ever say or do will change the fact that the Seahawks are playing for their 2nd Super Bowl in a row.

If I'm missing the correct info, let me know where you get your data. I'd appreciate the link.
Spotrac database is clearly not current. Kam was fined $20,000 for this hit on Boldin in 2011...

Boom

and another $40,000 for his hit on Kendricks a week later for his hit on Lance Kendricks.

Those are two fines for the same type offenses you claim makes Matthews a dirty player that I was able to find off a simple google search. I'm guessing there are more but I have neither the time nor inclination to do a more thorough search as it's clear my point is made. Kam's also been penalized multiple times for illegal contact to the head and neck area and blind-siding opposing players...Todd Heap ring a bell?

5618dbb32c13a698a56c8c7dc699eceebc4fd8c985cdf0925g

Kam sure rung his. Or how about Santana Moss?

I'm sure all of these hits were applauded when it was Kam delivering them. Seems hypocritical for the same fans to now label Matthews as dirty, don't you think?

Look, I'm disappointed in the loss but it doesn't take away from the fact Matthews was simply delivering a blow at the speed of the game which was deemed illegal. Penalties happen. For a fan base that prides itself on its teams hard hitting defense, I would think a hit like this would be viewed as within the realm of football rather than causing you all to get your collective panties in a wad.

My two cents. Congratulations on advancing.

Those hits by Kam were in his first year as a starter. He went back to work, learned to adjust his strike zone and has not had a fine since. You see he wants to impose his will, not with cheap shots after the fact but hard clean hits. CM is just a dirtbag who hits late and out of bounds and has shown no intention to learn from his "mistakes". I expect his fine to be announced today.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The problem with this is the call was for an illegal blindside block, and what Matthews did wasn't a blindside block by any stretch of the imagination. A blind side block has to come from behind or the side, and if a player gets around the blocked player's shoulders it's not a penalty.

There's absolutely nothing preventing helmet to helmet contact on this play as long as you get in front of the player's shoulder and aren't hitting him from the side.

I *guess* they could have called unnecessary roughness and fallen on the subjectivity of that call, but as called, it was a bad call.

That said, I don't have any problem with the penalty. It goes against the rules, but there's no point in playing stupid about QBs receiving extra scrutiny in terms of being protected.

So, it goes against the rulebook, but it's a penalty that we should EXPECT to be called despite the rules, meaning it was properly handled as the game is actually officiated in practice.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
APB --

The two gifs you put up of Kam don't apply to this situation.

The first is a helmet-to-helmet hit on a defenseless receiver, which is against the rules, but is a different rule than the one that applies to blocking on an INT return (and blocking more generally).

The second one IS a blindside hit, as Kam doesn't get around the lineman's shoulders (it's illegal to hit from the side or from behind).

Helmet-to-helmet doesn't apply to the Matthews block because in the play Wilson is a defender, not a defenseless receiver or QB inside the pocket, and blindside doesn't apply because Matthews gets around the shoulder.

I still think the play was "correctly" called as the game is actually officiated in practice (even though it breaks from the letter of the rule book), but those examples of Kam don't apply to this play.

The real *question* IMO is if we should get upset when the rules aren't correctly called as defined by the rulebook, or if we should get upset when they're correctly called according to the rulebook but not according to how they're generally called in practice.

I'm pretty pragmatic about this stuff, and consistent adjudication in practice is MUCH more important to me than the letter of the law. It's for that reason that I think the penalty on Matthews was a "good call", even though according to the rule book itself it was a "bad call." Matthews plays football, he knows how the rules are deployed in practice.

marko358

Reaction score
I noticed Clay Matthews was still in the game last night within the last 3 minutes of regulation. He must have gotten in better shape since last week.

APB

Reaction score
Those hits by Kam were in his first year as a starter. He went back to work, learned to adjust his strike zone and has not had a fine since.

VZX79n

Yeah, not so much. A fine is forthcoming, I'm sure.

The original video is on Grantland and you can right-click to play in slow-mo to plainly see the same ol' head-hunting Kam is still alive and well. Kam even levels his head and thrusts upward to gain maximum impact to Edelman's head/neck area. The intent and H2H contact is clear as day for the objective viewer.

As I have stated multiple times, if you guys want to indict Matthews as a dirty player, then Chancellor is right there beside him. You can't have it both ways.

APB

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1h1xaboi said:
APB":1h1xaboi said:
My two cents. Congratulations on advancing.

Winners win big time games. Losers wilt in the clutch. Good luck in the draft.
Couldn't have said it any better myself....

:lol:

lobohawk

Reaction score
If you go watch the extended above view of the interception, you can see Clay on the edge of the screen (a ways off) begin to aim for Wilson. He finishes by targeting Wilson high while Wilson is already getting block.

It wasn't even a smart play, cause he abandons Clinton-Dix during the INT return and could have blocked one of the Hawk players to in position to tackle Dix. He was never actually trying to make a football play (tackle, block, etc), because if he was he would have blocked someone more relevant. Instead he was trying to take out the other team's QB.

APB

Reaction score
We can argue back and forth all off-season whether it was smart football or not, what Matthews' intent was, or whether he should have targeted someone else. Point is, many on this board were so willing to pass judgment on Matthews as a dirty player yet are so willing to cheer the play of Kam Chancellor.

That's complete hypocrisy and deserves to be called out.

Personally, I believe they're both terrific players who play a ferocious style of football and sometimes makes plays/decisions that cross the line. Does that make them "dirty?" Not in my book.

BASF

Reaction score
APB":1ogl44e6 said:
We can argue back and forth all off-season whether it was smart football or not, what Matthews' intent was, or whether he should have targeted someone else. Point is, many on this board were so willing to pass judgment on Matthews as a dirty player yet are so willing to cheer the play of Kam Chancellor.

That's complete hypocrisy and deserves to be called out.

Personally, I believe they're both terrific players who play a ferocious style of football and sometimes makes plays/decisions that cross the line. Does that make them "dirty?" Not in my book.

I would love for you to come up with videos or gifs of Chancellor making any dirty hits.

canfan

Reaction score
APB":2bps65np said:
Those hits by Kam were in his first year as a starter. He went back to work, learned to adjust his strike zone and has not had a fine since.

VZX79n

Yeah, not so much. A fine is forthcoming, I'm sure.

The original video is on Grantland and you can right-click to play in slow-mo to plainly see the same ol' head-hunting Kam is still alive and well. Kam even levels his head and thrusts upward to gain maximum impact to Edelman's head/neck area. The intent and H2H contact is clear as day for the objective viewer.

As I have stated multiple times, if you guys want to indict Matthews as a dirty player, then Chancellor is right there beside him. You can't have it both ways.

I don't see Kam leading with his head. And the receiver was going down, so targeting wouldn't even be possible. Has there been a fine? I heard about fines for the BS fighting at the end of the game (not one of my team's prouder moments), but I didn't hear anything about Kam. Did I miss it, or is this just another example of you trying to compare a player trying to bring down a receiver coming across the middle with a POS like Clay? FYI, I've hated his cheapshots long before he ever took a run at RW. What he did to Kaepernick last year was worse.

Latest posts