Clowney vs Frank Clark

HawkerD

Reaction score
What I love about Clowney's game is the havoc he creates on a whole lot of plays and how he gets in the QB's and OL's heads so they always have to account for him in some abnormal way. I hate how sacks are this metric for D linemen because is so under represents their contribution. Sure Frank Clark got to the QB. but other than that he wasn't a big factor. How many of those sacks came on critical downs vs garbage time? You don't really know by just looking at sacks.

Clowney's game is much more dynamic. Great run stopper and pursuer. Gets that big body in the QBs face. Played an unreal game last night but has been doing all of that stuff all year with literally ZERO help for the most part. JS saw a lot of this and that why Clark is in KC. Sorry JS but you are going to have to PAY Clowney. I hope your cap guy has a plan.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There is no comparison for me, Clowney's a game wrecker..........down in an down out. When healthy Frank can definitely get after the QB, but that's really the extent of his effectiveness. Which isn't to be diminished, obviously pass rush is important.

But if I'm the GM and handing out 20M+ to a DE? Clowney, all day, every day. He's a MUCH better all around player and as we saw last night in the run, pass, it didn't matter, he singlehandedly wrecked the Niners offense.

I just hope Clowney likes it here in Seattle enough to give us first crack at signing him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Clowney LOVES him some Russell Wilson. I firmly believe he will be a Seahawk for the rest of his career.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1af7e6r9 said:
There is no comparison for me, Clowney's a game wrecker..........down in an down out. When healthy Frank can definitely get after the QB, but that's really the extent of his effectiveness. Which isn't to be diminished, obviously pass rush is important.

But if I'm the GM and handing out 20M+ to a DE? Clowney, all day, every day. He's a MUCH better all around player and as we saw last night in the run, pass, it didn't matter, he singlehandedly wrecked the Niners offense.

I just hope Clowney likes it here in Seattle enough to give us first crack at signing him.

Clowney is potentially the second best DL Seattle has ever had. I love his game, but 20 million a year is a lot. With Jarran Reed finally showing up, he sure do shine like a superstar.

sutz

Reaction score
ivotuk":kddwa59p said:
Clowney LOVES him some Russell Wilson. I firmly believe he will be a Seahawk for the rest of his career.
You say that like it would be a good thing.

Oh wait, it would!

:twisted:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jeremiah":2j5yjmwv said:
Sgt. Largent":2j5yjmwv said:

Clowney is potentially the second best DL Seattle has ever had. I love his game, but 20 million a year is a lot. With Jarran Reed finally showing up, he sure do shine like a superstar.

20M is a lot, but as you saw last night, he'd be worth every penny, especially on this mediocre D-line that's desperate for playmakers.

QB
LT
DE

Those are your three most important positions on your team, so if you want to compete you've got to have quality in all three of those positions to win.

D

DomeHawk

I don't like to make comparisons, especially on this board where such things are typically based on one game.

JC is a great player however and I think he's going to let it all hang out for the rest of the year and get himself a nice big fat contract.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1f3j5l98 said:
jeremiah":1f3j5l98 said:
Sgt. Largent":1f3j5l98 said:

20M is a lot, but as you saw last night, he'd be worth every penny, especially on this mediocre D-line that's desperate for playmakers.

QB
LT
DE

Those are your three most important positions on your team, so if you want to compete you've got to have quality in all three of those positions to win.

20 Million is a lot? Based on his season so far, I would sign him. IF he continues to improve those around him. He plays fine, but it is time for others to shine, which will form the basis of a great DL. Poona and others must now push the middle. IN THE FACE pressure, to drive them to Clowney.

SeaWolv

Reaction score

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just curious, did they change Clowney's position up front?

HansGruber

Reaction score
It was awesome to see how far he got into carapollios head. Dude looked scared. He pretty much shut down that Niners offense. I mean, a lot of great plays all over last night for sure but clowney singlehandedly wrecked that offense. Just threw off their whole plan.

He looked like he did in college. That was phenomenal. He had a better game than Bosa and I NEVER saw that coming.

Work noting Shaq had a fantastic game as well.

Meanwhile Sherman was completely invisible and getting worked by our nobody receivers.

Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I was never big on Clark, and didn’t flinch once we let him go. Clark padded his stats against bad teams. Clowney is far and away better, and I felt that way before last night.

People think rushing the passer is just straight forward, but as Carroll said Clowney is starting to pick his spots in this scheme

olyfan63

Reaction score
I love me some Frank Clark, dude did awesome for us when he was here, and did even more awesome for us with the draft picks we got when he left. Gave his all on every play I ever saw him in, solid teammate and leader.

That said, Clowney is a massive upgrade over Clark. JS, just pay the man.

IMO it's pointless to dog Clark for any stats or lesser impact he might have at KC. While in Seattle, Pete & Co. figured out how best to use Clark and take advantage of his skillset, while minimizing his flaws. I just think that KC hasn't quite figured out how best to use Clark just yet, and/or doesn't have the complementary players that set up Clark's best games. For instance, Jarran Reed. We saw last night how much a fully-fit Jarran Reed can elevate Clowney's impact. No doubt JReed helped improve Clark's status and impact also. I'll always root for Frank Clark to do great whether he's in KC or elsewhere.

But Clowney... now that Carroll and Norton are starting to figure out how best to use him, and Clowney is understanding the defensive schemes... WOW. Makes all our DBs so much better.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Loved Clark. Attitude. Growth. Production. Impact. He blossomed as a team leader at a time where the team invoked a leadership vacuum on the defensive side.

Loved the Clowney move even when it was merely a possibility. Been pretty candid about his value the entire time.

I feel we're fortunate to have been able to have Clowney fall into our laps given the circumstance. I don't think it's necessary to compare them or throw shade on Clark. He was every bit the quality player and leader that measured with his new contract. We were fortunate to have him. And ultimately, he gave us great value both while here and in his departure.

Jville

Reaction score
I concur with the no need to throw shade on Clark sentiment. To me there are significant differences in Clowney's game and Clark's game. I really don't warm up to these comparison exercises about players who never actually compete one on one against each other.

The good news is Clowney is receiving significant recognition this week. [tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1194630825205067781[/tweet]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Clowney proved he can take over the game. Clark never has shown he can do that. Plus Clowney has made those around him better. The guys like Jefferson, Ford, Jackson, and Green have all benefitted from Clowney. He's unstoppable 1on1 but is also a disruptive when he's taking on 2-3 blockers. Clark, Martin, and Mingo didn't offer any of that. Clark is a good player but Clowney is a special, one of kind athlete. Glad he's a Seahawk. He's a must re-sign.

hawks85

Reaction score
ivotuk":1d53skyz said:
Clowney isn't going anywhere. He has already stated is loves it here. Clowney will be getting paid next year. Thats a good thing. I'm thinking 16-20mil a year.

hawks85

Reaction score
HansGruber":1m2szsg8 said:
It was awesome to see how far he got into carapollios head. Dude looked scared. He pretty much shut down that Niners offense. I mean, a lot of great plays all over last night for sure but clowney singlehandedly wrecked that offense. Just threw off their whole plan.

He looked like he did in college. That was phenomenal. He had a better game than Bosa and I NEVER saw that coming.

Work noting Shaq had a fantastic game as well.

Meanwhile Sherman was completely invisible and getting worked by our nobody receivers.

Makes me smile just thinking about it.
I never liked Sherman. Yeah is good but overrated IMO. Dudes got a big mouth very big. I really think he benefited from Earl And Kam.

seabowl

Reaction score
Before last week his stock was considerably lower than what it's at today. Also I fear that once he's paid his production could drop as the incentive of a contract year is now gone.

Really good player but buyer beware for me.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The reason why we care about getting good value out of cheap contracts in the first place is so that we can afford to pay the star players who are difference makers on the field.

What would you rather spend the money on then a great DE? We can't keep everybody but we should keep the best. We get a ton of value out of cheap contracts as it is.